Fair that Verizon doesn't credit back taxes also?

I was wondering if it's legal or fair that Verizon doesn't credit back the taxes portion on a credit? They gave me a credit on an activation charge but didn't credit the $3.50 in taxes that appeared on my bill also. There was another credit for a download that they gave me but no taxes back on that either. That's another gripe that they charge for apps that you open and no notice that there will be a charge for it. So I will never open another Verizon app on our phones again.

Anyway, I called customer service and they said they don't credit tax. I'm thinking if I return something to a store I also get the tax back so why doesn't Verizon do the same? Anyone experience this or think I should complain? Taxes add up quickly especially on cell phone bills and I don't think what they are doing is fair.

I'm a sales tax accountant (CPA) in Arizona.

Could be a couple of things.... they can't because their software doesn't handle tax credits well. Since they collect and remit to thousands of tax authorities across the US, credits would have to be claimed from the different taxing jurisdictions. Once remitted, it's much harder to get back. The other possibility is that it really is a government excise tax labeled as a sales tax on the bill, not readily refundable.

All in all, what they are doing is technically legal... as long as they don't file those refund claims and keep the excess funds for themselves. : )

They dont refund you though, they credit your account What they do is take the "refund" amount off next months bill. Then you don't pay tax on that $ amount next month So it's not "refunded" exactly but rather the same amount in savings. You basically are getting the tax credited as well you just don't see it.