Thinking maybe done with Black Friday

lorilwayne

sure the sales can be good. If you spend too much have to fight the crowds all night long. Kind of thinking of reconsidering this thought. Besides kind of leaning towards Christmas being over commercialized anyhow. Not a popular thought but tired of busting my buns

Battling the crowds, meeting new people, and just having a rowdy time is often why people love BF. It's the fun and the adventure, with the great deals as an extra reward. But Christmas being too commercialized, I can't argue with ya there. With stores soon to be treating Thanksgiving as an excuse to bring customers in before BF I'm beginning to agree with ya :(.

I started thinking the same this year because of all the earlier openings. This year it ended up working for us since later on Friday we are leaving to celebrate our 10year anniversary for the the weekend. So I can go shopping and still get some sleep before we drop the 2 younger kids off. I don't think I'll go to as many stores. I've also been able to pick up a lot of items already. TRU had a B1G1 1/2 off on wooden train stuff which is what my youngest is getting as his main gift. We picked up a Nintendo 3DS for my middle one last night. Mainly some small gifts for the kids and a PS3 for my oldest left. Still have family and my husband but if I can find deals before Black Friday and a few after I'll be happy.

I've always enjoyed standing in line (even here in WI :)) but the crowds seem to be changing over the years. Lots of line rushers and just out right rudeness in and out of the store. Maybe having a scaled back year for me this year is what I need.

I started thinking the same this year because of all the earlier openings. This year it ended up working for us since later on Friday we are leaving to celebrate our 10year anniversary for the the weekend.

I've always enjoyed standing in line (even here in WI :)) but the crowds seem to be changing over the years. Lots of line rushers and just out right rudeness in and out of the store. Maybe having a scaled back year for me this year is what I need.

I am thinking along the same lines. Part of this is that I noticed a different type of person out when the store opens at midnight than when we are there up early in the morning. Last year the number of people who had partied well before going to Walmart was interesting.

I am still going, I just am not sure how im going to do it! I do think that them opening at midnight it really going to hurt them ! I think that people are going to spend their money faster! Just my thought! I love the shopping at 5 and going all day and I know that starting at midnight I won't be able to go all day!

not a good topic to discuss here, of course, but shopping needs and habits change. I have never camped out, and buy less than ever on BF, but I enjoy going out early and shopping with the crowds. Sometimes I get a good deal too!

So would you shop in those crowds if you didn't get a good deal?

It does bring a "different" crowd, BUT people like that have been there all along. Its just now they bring their friends.... and you'd think that people like that would be a retailers NIGHTMARE! fights and lawsuits, broken and stolen merchandise ect. ect. UGH. ok too rude, yeah probably... do i know a few of those people, YES! have I had them shopping with me before.... yeah ONCE! I have actually witnessed a lady walking out of walmart last year with a full cart of stuff NOT PAID FOR because the lines were too long and she aint waitin'! aaahhh the holiday spirit.

Last year was my first time not going out in the middle of the night. I got a lot of stuff online and went to Walmart, etc.. around 10am and was able to pick up a lot of the things I wanted. Electronic stuff just seemed priced right before BF..

Last year was my first time not going out in the middle of the night. I got a lot of stuff online and went to Walmart, etc.. around 10am and was able to pick up a lot of the things I wanted. Electronic stuff just seemed priced right before BF..

I agree. I've been able to do lots of shopping online in recent years. There was one year I was able to buy from Best Buy online before I headed out the door to stand in line.

The better the retailers make their websites to handle the black Friday traffic the more likely I'll shop online.

I was a fence sitter this year myself. I have, however, decided I will go. Mostly because it's the 1 day a year that me and my sister do something together. This will be our 18th year doing this, and I am going solely for that reason.

The last 3 years I have not spent more than $20.00. I also really, really dislike the midnight openings. We used to get up and leave around 4am and not get home until 3pm. After hitting up the 10pm TRU sale last year then to Walmart, we were just so darn tired. We were home by 6am. We gave up. Plus we spent a good portion of that time waiting in line just to get into TRU (I think it was just about 3 hrs to make it in the building). Now I expect the crowds and all, but a little over 5 hours in 1 store was the worst I've ever done.

Oh well, this could be the last year. Especially if they keep pushing the opening times earlier and earlier (or should I say later and later on Thanksgiving day at the rate they are going).

I just posted in the other thread about kinda being over and done with BF myself. It's still always fun to get the sale papers early on Thanksgiving morning and look over to see what everyone has and if anything catches my eye, but over the last few years that I've gone out, it hasnt been until later in the morning. I dont have the funds anymore for large expensive items and saving $20-30 isnt worth staying up all night to me.

Now the earlier openings does appeal to me a bit since I dont usually have anything to do on Thanksgiving night and if there is anything worthy, I might consider hitting some midnight sales for instance, but I think my days of getting up at 2-3 am to go shopping are over. I also think it's kinda ridiculous that people are getting in line earlier and earlier every year and so unless you give up your Thanksgiving and start camping out early Thursday morning, you won't get anything anyway around here, so I'm not really bothering anymore. I'll try to get the best deals that I can with the normal BF deals and other deals up until Christmas, but my camping days are over.

I'll be cutting back on B&M stores. I have little patience and find myself getting annoyed with people (which is unnecessary). I will still go out for some freebies (JCPenney snowglobe has become a tradition)and stuff I can't get free shipping on usually clothes or stuff from office max/office depot if I need anything from there. I got great deals online last year and have been able to get SO much before hand through various clearance and other sales that BF is more of a bonus SALE day. I expect this year we'll get more stuff at CVS/Walgreens than anywhere else.

I've been doing more and more of my shopping online so the times don't really bother me. I'll get my must-haves online again this year and then go out to the stores when I get ready. I enjoy the day much more, even if I do miss the adrenaline rush :D

I just picked up the last "hot toy"/"must have" for my son (Angry Birds Knock on Wood), so with all these insane store opening times and our Thanksgiving being later this year due to my sister's hours (she's a nurse), I am thinking BF may be an online only event for us...still have to see the major ads though (TRU/WM/Target).

I have being doing most of my shopping online the past couple years. As my DD usually has a soccer tournament that weekend, I need to be done early. I will visit a few stores, but mostly in store, and won't be buying much anyway. I've done most of my shopping already.

Last year I did mostly online. But, I couldn't resist the adrenaline rush on BF and DD14 begged to go. DH decided he would go with us, his first time ever. We got to Target about 15 minutes before they opened and he dropped us off at the door once everyone else was inside. We each had specific items to get. Of course, it was the 700 tc sheets, blankets and one toy. :gdmornincoffee: Nothing spectacular, but we had everything in 20 minutes. As we were heading to check out, the rush hit DD14 and we let her take off while we got coffee. She helped an elderly woman get the video games she needed for her grandkids. After that, she said it was too nuts. On our way home, we got a call from some family asking for help, so we headed back out. This year, she has two things on her list. A Varsity jacket and clarisonic. I think we are officialy done with BF. Unless someone asks for help. ;)

Wow, this thread is really making me sad. Although my post count doesn't reflect it, I've been around here for a long time...just enjoyed reading the ads and everyone's comments without feeling the urge to make any useless comments. When I first heard about the midnight openings I texted my college-student son, who has been bf shopping with me since he was 10, and we both agreed that this is going to ruin our tradition. Ahhhh, maybe he will head to Target at midnight this year while his mother sleeps...

I'm also on the fence about the sale times being moved up. Last year was kind of fun being at Wal-mart for midnight but I agree that it took a toll on me and I ended up getting home earlier on Black Friday than I had in the past.

We used to go out at around 3 AM after a few hours of sleep and stand in line for 5 AM openings. It was nice getting a few hours of sleep. The way this is... you're up all of Thanksgiving then the next day. Sure you get SOME of your shopping done earlier which is nice but if you want to go to other stores you're staying up for over 24 hours.

The thing thats killing it for me this year is the stores opening at 9 and 10 pm on thanksgiving night. That REALLY sucks for those folks working there. And a lot of times we still have family visiting at that time and I'm not running off to shop and miss time with them. Thinking we'll just spend a lot less this year and not do so much.

I agree with the OP. This year it looks like I may go to Walmart for the 10pm sale and be home by 11pm. BF went from 7-8am to 4-5am to 9-10pm the night before! It's getting too crazy. I think anything before midnight is nuts. Thanksgiving is still a holiday and I will not have it pushed out of my life. :)

I am thinking along the same lines. Part of this is that I noticed a different type of person out when the store opens at midnight than when we are there up early in the morning. Last year the number of people who had partied well before going to Walmart was interesting.

Yes, it wasn't the same bargain-shopping crowd of previous years. It was a bunch of kids and people who were too rowdy, and rosy cheeked not to have been drinking.