Midnight Openings - do you like them or not?

Tad22

It seems that those working retail and have to open early are blaming the consumer. I think they are putting the blame in the wrong place. Customers can only get in when the stores are open. If they want to line up and wait let them (or should I say us). Personally I have a certain amount of money to spend and when its gone I am done. It may be gone before BF starts who knows, but if I see the deals in the ads I have to be there when the sale starts or lined up to get it if possible. Best Buy is just afraid that people will run out of money before they open and get some of it.

Here is what the Best Buy CEO had to say today about the midnight openings

"I feel terrible because it impacts, it'll change some Thanksgiving plans for some of our employees," Dunn conceded. "...I know that the decision has been a bit controversial with some of our folks, but the truth of the matter is, the customers will be out there, lined up, for that midnight opening."

I love how the say screw the little guy if we make more money, he should have just kept his mouth shut :P If their sales were as great as they could be they wouldn't have to worry about opening at the same time AND people would wait up for them.

The more I think of it the more I'm liking being done by 4-5 instead of being out by then, not sure how it'll happen with all my online shopping but we'll see.

I'm loving the midnight opening times. Usually my posse and I would stay up half the night anyway planning our shopping strategy. I do a major portion of my shopping on line, but it's kind of a tradition to go scope out the stores. Plus, there are some things that you can't get online. Also, since most of the stores I frequent are a stones throw away from my house, it's no big deal. Can't wait!:smart:

DISLIKE! Soooo disappointed by the midnite openings. Like many people mentioned, it was great even just a few years ago when store openings were staggered, you could hit one at 5am, another at 6am, another at 7am and usually get what you wanted. And also it will mess up a lot of BF traditions like meeting up with friends and family for breakfast or lunch. SUCH a bummer this year! I'm definitely not bothering with any midnite store openings- this will just drive me more to online shopping. Additionally I want to enjoy my Thanksgiving Day with family and friends and then get some darn sleep before heading out. (I can't relate to those posters who ask who ever gets any sleep anyway). I do! I definitely do!

Here is a sample of the comments left on Best Buys Facebook page about the 12am opening.

That's right, demonize the customer base that makes it possible for you to earn an income! These kids have no earthly idea how wrong they are and how misdirected their comments are. If I were the CEO, I would take these comments as a portend to his future tenure in the company. Such disloyal employees are not what Best Buy needs when their future does not look so good. Some of these kids don't even realize that they are held accountable for negative comments they make against the company and I would venture to say that a few of them will silently be hauled up to HR after Black Friday and given their pink slips.

Demonizing of customers by store employees is not a new or especially bright aspect of doing business with Best Buy. I have seen this type of errant behavior on nearly every occasion on the Best Buy forums, and it sickens me to even go on there, thinking that anything productive will come out of the experience. I have posted to the forums and even agreed with posters with valid complaints, only to be met by a tank full of sharks just waiting for someone to bleed so they can grab the first bite. When Best Buy employees get the chance to voice their opinions on any forum, it is usually to snap back at a customer with insulting comments, as if they can only find respect out of hurting others. Again, they are sadly mistaken and only serve to ruin the overall opinion of Best Buy. Time after time, you will see that moderators only intervene after you are persistent and they are confident that the employees and former employees have been sufficiently fed.

Those best buy people complaining is just crazy I think. I worked food service for many years we never closed on thanksgiving heck we were lucky to get off christmas everyone I worked at closed for christmas luckily. If you don't want to work holidays get a job where you don't have to yeah I know easier said than done right now but still.

While there are some professions that have to work to keep us safe, etc. retail is not one of them. Hospitals, police, etc. have to be open on Christmas too, would that make it ok for retail stores to be open, just to get that last extra dollar?

I understand what you are saying, but let’s not get to crazy. Most people are working for a check not to keep us safe. They went to school or took training fully aware that this is what they have signed up for. Just as someone in retail has. Thos same people that are trying to keep us safe as charging way more than any of those retail store. Go to the hospital and you will see. 2 Tylenols for $40.00. -- - - GET REAL ---.If some of the stores was open on Christmas than so be it. They might not be there trying to get that last dollar. They might just be open for that last gift you need to get or for that person that just showed up and you did not have anything for them. Take some of the drug stores they are open but the pharmacy is closed on Christmas, why because they understand people will need something. I do not have to like it or agree with it. I am just merely stating facts.:g_think:

I am really liking the earlier openings over the last few years. I can get some shopping done on Thanksgiving evening after all the family festivities are over and not have to try and get my butt out of bed at 2-3 am :P Now there's no way that I would do it at a store that people started camping out at early Thursday morning or evening Wednesday evening like Best Buy, Walmart or the toy stores, but for a store that I only need to stand in line at for a few hours to get some good deals, yeah I'd do it. :cool:

I very much dislike the midnight openings. For the last 19 my daughter and I have made a day of shopping on Black Friday starting @ 3 or 4 a.m. On Thankdsgiving day, her and I would pour over all the ads and decide where we were going and what we were going to "try" and buy. Back then you had to stand in line to get Elder Beerman's $10 coupon which was good on almost everything (not like it is now with 1/2 of the store being excluded ~ the doorbusters were also inlcuded). Well each year I would pick her up, we would stop and get coffee and go stand in line. After we got the coupon we would go to Macy's (Lazarus back then) and get their $10 coupon and from then on we had everything planned out where we would go. To me, the midnight openings, along with the store policy changes, has taken away the fun we use to have. Oh well I guess the younger generation can create their own memories and traditions.:mad:

Count me in as one of those who cannot stand them. I have to work on BF and live almost an hour away from the shopping and from my job (they are close together). I normally can go to the 4-5am openings and hit quite a few stores before heading to work around

8-8:30. This year it would be ridiculous for me to go to any midnight openings. I would basically be done by 3am and then what? Sleep in my car until 8? No way can I do an allnighter and then a 10 hour workday!

At first I didn't like them. It has thrown my routine and traditions off a bit. But then I realized I never got much rest before anyways. Between being super excited to get started and staying up all night to do a little online if I could manage to get something good before it went out of stock I never really slept anyways. So now I am thinking maybe I will get done a few hours earlier than I used to.

Apparently enough people don't like the Thursday shopping this year that it's getting the attention of the media....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thanksgiving-day-shop-meets-rejection-123025036.html

Good article, and I liked JC Penneys responce: “We wanted to give our associates Thanksgiving Day to spend with their families,” said Bill Gentner, senior vice president for marketing. Good for them!

I am so against midnight openings. Forget Black Friday, now it is going to be Black Thursday. And so much for Thanksgiving. For me it almost ruins Black Friday. I have been Black Friday shopping for 15 years and this is the most disheartening thing that has ever happened in all my years of BF shopping.

I am so against midnight openings. Forget Black Friday, now it is going to be Black Thursday. And so much for Thanksgiving. For me it almost ruins Black Friday. I have been Black Friday shopping for 15 years and this is the most disheartening thing that has ever happened in all my years of BF shopping.

I agree. It used to be fun shopping at 6am. Too much greed going on. I say this is the last year for retailers opening at midnight.

Many retail workers know they're working on early Black Friday morning. But not right on the dot. Not even that, I'm sure most of them arrive earlier than that.