Midnight Openings - do you like them or not?

Tad22

While I understand that stores are doing to earlier and earlier openings to be the first to removed the money from our wallets and this year with all of the Midnight starts, it will cause shoppers to make a real choice on where to spend their money. Because Most Target people are also Kohl's shoppers. People will have to make an all or nothing choice between them. And if, and at this point in time, it is still only an IF, walmart should decide to start their sale at Midnight as well, the stores will who has the most devotion, or best sales. There won't be any setting plans to hit Toys R Us at Midnight, then Old Navy at 1, Target at 3, Kohls at 4 and Walmart at 5 like last year.

Personally, I don't like it. I've been Black Friday shopping since 1988 and the reason people got the good deals at 6 am was because they showed up to stand in line at 4 or 5 am. And only the folks that got there at Midnight or 1 am got the fantastic price on a computer or TV. The ability to stay awake, stay in line and stay warm were the cost and the prize was the deals. Midnight deals allow people to eat, watch football, send everyone home, then head to the store.

Those things actually matter. No one is going to die if they can't get their BF bargains. Also, people in those professions are compensated quite differently than someone working in retail with no benefits thanks to these past few decades of union busting.

Actually, my son works for Penney's. He is one of the people that puts together all of the signage for the store, then starting on Wednesday evening after the store closes, they (about 5 people) go through the store and put out all of the sales signs. In his store, it usually takes them 10-12 hours. He usually gets home around 6-8 am on Thanksgiving morning. He gets paid time and a half for all time worked after Midnnight. Same as me, and I work in a hospital. Now I can't quote pay situations for all stores, but JC Penneys does pay time and a half for the major holidays.

Those of us who camp, have given up on the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but have observed it on the line from time to time! I was born on thanksgiving, so my own birth caused my mother to miss out once herself! The truth is that you can make thanksgiving in your heart any day of the year that is special to you and your loved ones. Nobody needs to tell you when to celebrate the important times together. We celebrate thanksgiving on the Saturday before. In 2009, we celebrated it on Thursday outside of Best BUY because it was my birthday as well. We will always celebrate in this manner when the two coincide.

Ditto, this is exactly what I tell people about most holidays. There all like ITS NOT "insert day" if its not done on "such a date". Its ubsurd. Thanksgiving can be whenever you make it. This year will be kinda bleak for me thoe. Might be eye-ballin a Bostin Market sit down. Most of the family is off doing there own things. I have divorced parents so, mother got married this year. So shes in her own world now. Eh whatever. Sucks but oh well.

HATE HATE HATE can i say it one more time HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT. Can I enjoy my turkey dinner for pete's sake.

I love going out to Meijer and Kmart on TDay morning. I have a group of girls that go out TDay morning. Go home cook the turkey and enjoy time with my family. I go to my girlfriends house and sip wine in the hot tub then early to bed to enjoy the thrill of the black friday hunt, enjoy breakfast and shop some more. This has been a tradition for 13 years and it gives me two seperate days to look forward to now they just want one long day. I would be so tired I couldnt enjoy it. so I cant enjoy thanksgiving, I cant enjoy black friday so I am against black thri-day.

Ditto, this is exactly what I tell people about most holidays. There all like ITS NOT "insert day" if its not done on "such a date". Its ubsurd. Thanksgiving can be whenever you make it. This year will be kinda bleak for me thoe. Might be eye-ballin a Bostin Market sit down. Most of the family is off doing there own things. I have divorced parents so, mother got married this year. So shes in her own world now. Eh whatever. Sucks but oh well.

Nice to hear from you Klown! You may as well come up here to eat and shop!

I don't like it simply because it is unfair to the workers, who either have to skip or cut short their Thanksgiving, or go without sleep the night before their biggest day of the year. That has to be torture for them. When KMart introduced their sales on Thanksgiving Day, I decided then that, as much as I love my bargains, no deal is worth my making someone else give up their Thanksgiving with their family.

I understand your point of view, but do you watch TV, use the phone, electricity on Thanksgiving, someone has to give up their day to work for them as well. I am in Healthcare, hospitals have to stay open too.

I spent 24 years in the Air Force, 18 1/2 of them in a "mission essential" position (read that 24/7/365). There's a world of difference between essential and non-essential services. Hospitals, fire, police, utilities, etc. are essential; shopping for bargains (contrary to popular belief) isn't.

Those things actually matter. No one is going to die if they can't get their BF bargains. Also, people in those professions are compensated quite differently than someone working in retail with no benefits thanks to these past few decades of union busting.

I am somewhat undecided on the midnight openings versus opening early in the morning on BF. But I do not think stores should open (or even be allowed to open) on Thanksgiving Day (midnight to midnight). Clearly, essential services must be provided on Thanksgiving, but no non-essential services should be active. It isn't really related to what workers make or how they are paid--we should all take a break from work and from shopping. In fact, I would suggest the following (as a law if necessary):

On Thanksgiving Day, only "essential" items should be sold, including medications, food, gas and related items. For the most part, only some grocery stores, restaurants, drug stores, gas stations, transportation services would be open (and be restricted from selling some classes of items).

The following day (BF) should also be part of the official (federal) Thanksgiving Holiday. The government, stock markets, banks, and all non-essential businesses should be closed. For years, my employer, like financial businesses, was open on BF, but I always took time off (because I was traveling to be with family--never to shop). But, of course, stores should be open!

I've been Black Friday shopping since 1988 and the reason people got the good deals at 6 am was because they showed up to stand in line at 4 or 5 am.

IN my area we could show up 15 minutes before store opening and get whatever we came for with little or no competition, that was back in the days when KBToys and RadioShack were major stores. This is before the time of camping out, lines around the block and major internet usage.

I am somewhat undecided on the midnight openings versus opening early in the morning on BF. But I do not think stores should open (or even be allowed to open) on Thanksgiving Day (midnight to midnight). Clearly, essential services must be provided on Thanksgiving, but no non-essential services should be active. It isn't really related to what workers make or how they are paid--we should all take a break from work and from shopping. In fact, I would suggest the following (as a law if necessary):

On Thanksgiving Day, only "essential" items should be sold, including medications, food, gas and related items. For the most part, only some grocery stores, restaurants, drug stores, gas stations, transportation services would be open (and be restricted from selling some classes of items).

The following day (BF) should also be part of the official (federal) Thanksgiving Holiday. The government, stock markets, banks, and all non-essential businesses should be closed. For years, my employer, like financial businesses, was open on BF, but I always took time off (because I was traveling to be with family--never to shop). But, of course, stores should be open!

How about the stores that are open 24/7/364 or 5?

I can't even think of very many stores in my area that aren't open around the clock.

I just can't even imagine Meijer not selling any of their awesome Thanksgiving deals just because it's the last Thursday in November.

It's kind of like the Field of Dreams of Retailing:"If you sell it;they'll buy it"

A kind of Darwinistic way of looking at it (whether morally right or wrong) but if the market supports it,

it's going to happen.

I know in my area that if you work at one of the 24 hour stores,it's a given you will work at least part of a major holiday.

I worked in a restaurant every Thanksgiving Day for years and we were always busy.

Right or wrong,it's just part of the service industry.

I don't like it.

1. I have a schedule and that is shop in the morning Thursday, plan stuff and start buying online deals like at compusa at night, then powernap, and head out around 3.

2. More work on a Holiday for store workers.

3. BF fanatics like to camp out and this can disrupt their plans

4. I like staggered times so you can get what you need out of each store so all stores win and not skipping one or two that are less on your listc

I like the midnight openings, but not if they are ALL at midnight. The openings need to be staggered like last year. Last year I went to 8 different stores and was in line before 5 of them even opened. I got 100% success rate on my list. This year I will be lucky to get to shop at 3 stores since it is likely 7 of my 8 are opening at midnight and I will have to nap from 1am until the others open at 7. The stores have to realize that if you're lining up and shopping at another store at the same time then you're not at theirs.

Once enough people start falling asleep at the wheel during this midnight opening nonsense to cause a noticable amount of accidents the local governments will more than likely step in and put a stop to them. Unfortunately, a number of people will need to die in those accidents first before that happens.

Man this is kind of Harsh ...... but the sad part is it just might be True. . ... Time for a Black Friday Bailout :D

I LOVE midnight openings but now that the majority of stores are doing it I am not too happy. I like to hit TRU, then go to Wal_mart, then Kohls, and end with Target. We always get everything we set out to get. This year my BFF and I will either have to split up and go to seperate stores or sacrafice deals. BF has always been as much about having fun with my BFF as getting the deals. So if we have to split up to get deals that will suck but it will also suck to have to sacrafice deals. I have been telling myself not to stress until after all the ads are leaked.

so.... I was in my local FinishLine picking something up and I look over on the counter at the sign that says "ATTENTION... This store will be opening at midnight BF." I think I physically groaned LOUDLY...the girl working looked over at me, so I took the opportunity to ask if "all the stores in the mall were opening at midnight." she told me no, but that she BBW was "thinking about it", AE most likely was, along with some of the smaller stores. She told me two of the anchor stores were opening at 3am and the other two were opening at 4am. The 4 stores she was referring to were JCPenney, Dicks Sporting Goods, Belk and Sears. All I can say is UGH!!!!!!!!

Anyone else against any Thanksgiving Day shopping? I have never supported stores that are open on the actual holiday to make a few extra dollars. I was wondering if anyone else avoids shopping - or this year starting BF- actually on Thanksgiving Day. I think it's getting out of hand to make employees give up the few holidays that most retail stores actually get.

This year with all the crazy hours of BF I'm thinking I may avoid it for the first time in a very long time :( The stores are just getting greedier and greedier.

While I agree it sucks for the employees, I am not going to miss a sale because of it. BF and crazy hours (in general) is part of the retail experience and something I definitely do not miss. I might feel differently if it was a religious holiday AND devout people were being forced to work and miss services or observation of said day. I think Thanksgiving is very much an interchangeable holiday.

Anyone else against any Thanksgiving Day shopping? I have never supported stores that are open on the actual holiday to make a few extra dollars. I was wondering if anyone else avoids shopping - or this year starting BF- actually on Thanksgiving Day. I think it's getting out of hand to make employees give up the few holidays that most retail stores actually get.

This year with all the crazy hours of BF I'm thinking I may avoid it for the first time in a very long time :( The stores are just getting greedier and greedier.

I am not sure. I have never of thought of it that way. I usually go to Kmart at least to pick up something especially if they have a very good door buster. The way I see it people have to work in other professions (i.e. health care, public safety, energy and legal to name a few) One profession is no better than the next. But after reading your post I will give it some thought, but a deal is a deal ... and if you’re on a budget you have to make it stretch :g_laughin

While I agree it sucks for the employees, I am not going to miss a sale because of it. BF and crazy hours (in general) is part of the retail experience and something I definitely do not miss. I might feel differently if it was a religious holiday AND devout people were being forced to work and miss services or observation of said day. I think Thanksgiving is very much an interchangeable holiday.

I agree it is not a religious holiday, but it is a holiday where 'Family' gets together. As more and more stores open earlier on BF, employees are not going to be able to enjoy or spend family time together. Most employees only have to get to the store an hour or less before opening, but there are many more that need to get there hours before to set everything up.Whats next..moving Thanksgiving Dinner to another day, so the family can be together. Then greed and retail has won and Family has lost.

I would have to respectfully disagree that having dinner on another day is a loss to family. In fact, we have been celebrating as a family on Saturday for many years, not only because I am a nurse and have to work some Thanksgivings, but also because the shopping is over and we can all sit around for as long as we want and share our Black Friday stories and compare deals. We have a lot of fun and we can relax because we aren't rushed to head out to the stores. The way I see it, it is a win-win for the stores and our family. Not to mention, after getting all the deals, we have even more to be thankful for!!

I am not sure. I have never of thought of it that way. I usually go to Kmart at least to pick up something especially if they have a very good door buster. The way I see it people have to work in other professions (i.e. health care, public safety, energy and legal to name a few) One profession is no better than the next. But after reading your post I will give it some thought, but a deal is a deal ... and if you’re on a budget you have to make it stretch :g_laughin

While there are some professions that have to work to keep us safe, etc. retail is not one of them. Hospitals, police, etc. have to be open on Christmas too, would that make it ok for retail stores to be open, just to get that last extra dollar?

I know a lot of people who are happy to work holidays because they get time and a half. Also, not everyone has a family. I don't usually shop on Thanksgiving day but it's usually because we are so busy. We have 3 different houses to visit. I know my grandma likes to go to K-Mart because we have Thanksgiving lunch at her house and after that it gets kinda boring.

While there are some professions that have to work to keep us safe, etc. retail is not one of them. Hospitals, police, etc. have to be open on Christmas too, would that make it ok for retail stores to be open, just to get that last extra dollar?

Movie theaters are open on Christmas day. That's a tradition to go for some families.

I would have to respectfully disagree that having dinner on another day is a loss to family. In fact, we have been celebrating as a family on Saturday for many years, not only because I am a nurse and have to work some Thanksgivings, but also because the shopping is over and we can all sit around for as long as we want and share our Black Friday stories and compare deals. We have a lot of fun and we can relax because we aren't rushed to head out to the stores. The way I see it, it is a win-win for the stores and our family. Not to mention, after getting all the deals, we have even more to be thankful for!!

I agree! While we celebrate Thanksgiving on Thursday and I still head out and go shopping, I just do not understand this notion of needing a "day" to spend with family. DH and I both work full-time, I am also in grad school and even with 4 kids and all their activities we find the time to spend together as a unit. Just us. In a way I resent people telling me that this one day of the year is so important in the eyes of my family; anyday that we spend together is Thanksgiving. ymmv.

Here is a sample of the comments left on Best Buys Facebook page about the 12am opening.

The 12 hour shift isnt the issue...ive worked at bby for 7 1/2 yrs ..the shift does go by fast and its not that bad all and sometimes even a lot of fun ...the issue is opening at midnight ...now i understand i signed up to work in retail and the holidays are jammed packed with hours and minimal family time but the nice thing was that we at least get the holiday itself off to be with family ..with this thanksgiving is ruined..cuz one well probably have to be there at 1100/1130pm ON thanksgiving day which means i no longer have that day..second that means well need to go to bed at like 5 or 6 pm to be rested enough for our 12 hr shift ..which means very limited time with family that day..and yeah someone said 4 or 5 hours shouldnt make a difference ..well it does..and yeah someone said theres familys give up thanksgiving to wait in lines ..well guess what thats their CHOICE its a little bit different when u r FORCED to ...

I got a few things to say: First, to the employees disgruntled at the midnight opening. Best Buy is merely trying to compete with all the other competitiors opening at midnight. Best Buy wants consumers to spend money at their store not other stores. You employees want that to. The more people spend at Best Buy, the more money Best Buy makes. The more they make, the more they can pay. So unless you are working at Best Buy for free and don't mind it, then I think Best Buy opening 5 hours earlier won't kill most of you. Second, to all the people who say time is better spent at home with family. That may have some truth but what about the families who wait in line on Thanksgiving/Black Friday, because I've heard stories of families doing this very thing. All I can say yet is bring on the ad.

I worked at best buy last year. You working on black Friday isn't optional. You're scheduled for 2 shifts. Front half or back half. You don't get payed anymore than you normally would. I love the store but **** working there. ****tiest job ever.

Awesome, I can't wait to be there at 12 selling computers =\. The employees at my store were all afraid of this. Black Friday is the stupidest idea ever. Thanksgiving be thankful for what you have, then wake up to participate in the most consumer capitalist day ever.

as a former employee this sucks, customers better treat employees really good, because they are taking time away from their families to satisfy some of these crazy/greedy customers. SO UNFAIR!

Here is what the Best Buy CEO had to say today about the midnight openings

"We were going to be open at much more civilized hour, like 3 or 4 (a.m.)," Dunn said at a BSR conference. But after "several (rival) retailers moved to a midnight opening," then Dunn said "we made a decision at Best Buy that we need to be where our customers are."

"I feel terrible because it impacts, it'll change some Thanksgiving plans for some of our employees," Dunn conceded. "...I know that the decision has been a bit controversial with some of our folks, but the truth of the matter is, the customers will be out there, lined up, for that midnight opening."