Midnight Openings - do you like them or not?

Tad22

I understand your point of view, but do you watch TV, use the phone, electricity on Thanksgiving, someone has to give up their day to work for them as well. I am in Healthcare, hospitals have to stay open too.

Those things actually matter. No one is going to die if they can't get their BF bargains. Also, people in those professions are compensated quite differently than someone working in retail with no benefits thanks to these past few decades of union busting.

The changes in hours kind of messed up our schedule as well. My sister and I used to get up and go have breakfast at Denny's then go to Walmart for the 5am sale, then hit up Target, etc. We would be out all day until 5 or 6pm. Now we are about done by noon. Also, with all of the stores trying to compete and open at the same time, you pretty much have to prioritize which stores you are going to go to. By the time you finish your first choice, you almost always miss out on any doorbusters at your second choice. I remember one year we got into Walmart, got done shopping and then got in line at Home Depot and were one of the first 10 in line for their opening! That doesn't happen much anymore. Edited by mgreen

I would actually LOVE a midnight opening--if only my state of MA allowed that. I guess technically they COULD open at midnight, as TECHNICALLY it would officially NOT be Thanksgiving any longer, but nobody here has gotten that message yet...so we don't shop on Thanksgiving (which is fine with me) and our shopping starts at 4:00 am when Wally World opens...:):)

HATE ... HATE ... HATE the fact that the stores are opening at midnight. I enjoy Thanksgiving and spending time with family and friends. I want to be able to do that and still get a few hours of sleep before going shopping . Not sure what time I will head out this year or where I will head to first untiul I see the rest of BF ads. I love shopping on BF but enjoy it better when the stores open around 4 am to 6 am. If these stores start opening on TG day/night I may have to do my shopping on line and skip going out. Only time will tell.

I don't know if i would go out but it's nice to have the option. I plan to head out to stores at 5am this year...... There is usually nothing I want from Target, at least no door buster deals that I'm willing to wait in line hours for.

I like it.....Last year I really liked that TRU opened at 10 so I got that out of the way. I just want them to be spaced out so that I have enough time to get to each place that I want to. Like We went to TRU, WM, and had a 2-3 gap between when Kmart opened. That's what I don't like!

Hate them! Loved it when Target opened at 6 a.m. I would get there 2 hours early and get everything I wanted while most people were at the other stores. Even last year when they opened at 4 a.m. people were lining up the night before. That I don't do.

We did Walmart last year at midnight which was fun because I got interviewed in my gottadeal shirt, but we had items we needed from Office Max, Target, and Kohls as well. We tried to sleep around 8pm on TG, but of course, that didn't work, so we wound up staying up from 8am Thanksgiving until 8am Black Friday morning. As we both have regular 9-5 jobs, it threw us waaay out of whack in our sleeping and we ended up spending the rest of the weekend tired and lounging around the house. This year, we've commited to shopping at 4am or later. There is nothing we need that badly that we need to be up at midnight for. I'm hoping those folks who do go out at midnight will be too tired to brave the long lines for later openings and will head to bed. I guess we'll see...:)

I'm not a fan. I skipped Walmart's last year & slept like a baby through the midnight sale. By the time I arrived that morning, those that had been in the store all night were walking around like zombies.

Is the consensus that there will be more stagger sales this year?

I am in MA, and some stores can't open before a certain time, but Old Navy was open at midnight and that was it. The outlets open at midnight also, but too far away. So am hoping Macys is allowed to open at midnight along with Old Navy this year!

I hate them... I'm at our church fixing Thanksgiving meals for shut ins, homeless, and yes... the people that have to work at 7am on Thanksgiving morning along with about 50 of my closest friends. btw, we delievered over 100 hot meals to Walmart employees in our area last Thanksgiving... we are there until around 2PM, when I go home I have to finish my own meal for the family that will be at my house around 6, hopefully they are out the door around 11~ there is no way I can do midnight openings. I tried the Walmart thing last year... and was back home in bed at 2am.

I didn't care for the midnight openings at Wal-Mart becuz there wasn't anything I really needed and me and my sister went ahead and got there around 12:30 and had to get in line at 1 am for the laptops becuz there was already a line forming for it, when otherwise I prob. wouldn't of planned on being there till around 3 or 4 for the the 5am doorbuster sale..I had to call my friend and tell her to get there and she got in line by 2 am and was the last one to get the laptop..Ugh. So everyone that goes at midnite just stick basically stuck around and got in line for the doorbusters.

Do you like Thanksgiving sales?

I personally think Thanksgiving sales are awful, no store should be open on Thanksgiving NOTHING SHOULD BE OPEN ON THANKSGIVING. People should be with family, not shopping. Not only should you not be shopping but think about the poor employees that are forced to work on Thanksgiving because some people can't wait for Black Friday. Alot of BF websites tell you not to ignore Thanksgiving sales, but I say IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE. But that is just me, what do you think?

We did Walmart last year at midnight which was fun because I got interviewed in my gottadeal shirt, but we had items we needed from Office Max, Target, and Kohls as well. We tried to sleep around 8pm on TG, but of course, that didn't work, so we wound up staying up from 8am Thanksgiving until 8am Black Friday morning. As we both have regular 9-5 jobs, it threw us waaay out of whack in our sleeping and we ended up spending the rest of the weekend tired and lounging around the house. This year, we've commited to shopping at 4am or later. There is nothing we need that badly that we need to be up at midnight for. I'm hoping those folks who do go out at midnight will be too tired to brave the long lines for later openings and will head to bed. I guess we'll see...:)

Nice to hope, but most people will be there as long as their greenbacks or plastic holds up. Energy drinks are not our friend when it comes to competition either!

Do you like Thanksgiving sales?

I personally think Thanksgiving sales are awful, no store should be open on Thanksgiving NOTHING SHOULD BE OPEN ON THANKSGIVING. People should be with family, not shopping. Not only should you not be shopping but think about the poor employees that are forced to work on Thanksgiving because some people can't wait for Black Friday. Alot of BF websites tell you not to ignore Thanksgiving sales, but I say IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE. But that is just me, what do you think?

Those of us who camp, have given up on the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but have observed it on the line from time to time! I was born on thanksgiving, so my own birth caused my mother to miss out once herself! The truth is that you can make thanksgiving in your heart any day of the year that is special to you and your loved ones. Nobody needs to tell you when to celebrate the important times together. We celebrate thanksgiving on the Saturday before. In 2009, we celebrated it on Thursday outside of Best BUY because it was my birthday as well. We will always celebrate in this manner when the two coincide.

I don't mind midnight openings; however, this is really going to throw a wrench into my plans now that several "big name" stores are going to open at that time. In the past, I've made the field trip at midnight to the outlets, but it seems as if other retailers are starting to understand that BF shoppers have no problem standing in line during the day on Thanksgiving. As a result, these retailers are going to capitalize on this trend in 2011 causing BF shoppers to really decide where they should go first.

I think if they keep pushing the start of sales earlier and earlier in may back fire on the stores. We always host Thanksgiving dinner and have a house full day. We enjoy the time with family and friends. If it comes down to spending time with family that we do not see that often or out shopping then family will win. I am sure I am not alone in this. Will I miss out on some deals ... Yup but thats OK.. either another deal will come along or I will change my gift buying list. Yes there will be some people who will/do love the earlier times and thats great if they do but I think they may be in the minority. I guess only time will tell.

I am kind of stuck. I am an avid Black Friday shopper. I like the standing in line, the adrenaline pumping, and the anticipation of what I can get. I like the build up and the fight for my items, but depending on which store it is and what’s on sell I might go out. My dilemma is that Thanksgiving night has always been the night we (my DW and 2 DD) put up our tree. We turn on the Christmas music, sing and decorate the tree. I am not usually done until about 10:30 or 11. I also get up early on Thanksgiving to go to Kmart to catch there sales. Most likely I will not do the Midnight thing unless it was a must have item.

Do we really have a choice if they open at Midnight to wait ? We might not get the items we want .... :confused:

You ALWAYS have a choice..but your choice may prevent you from getting what you want. I think it all depends on how they do the sales and what's allowed. EVEN if other stores try the tiered sales like Walmart did last year you MAY NOT get what your after (by showing up later) since people will be able to crowed around and or pick up their things earlier.

I am kind of worried about how things will turn out and will be much happier once we get some ads with info and items in it. I'll probably be going to staples/office depot this year since I have rewards to redeem.

Once enough people start falling asleep at the wheel during this midnight opening nonsense to cause a noticable amount of accidents the local governments will more than likely step in and put a stop to them. Unfortunately, a number of people will need to die in those accidents first before that happens.