Midnight Openings - do you like them or not?

Tad22

I don't like the midnight openings. Last year we went to TRU and Walmart, I thought it would be great. I was so tired by 7am that we called it a day. I don't know who will be opening at midnight, but I am thinking of skipping going out for the first time in 18 straight years. I think it might be online shopping for me this year. I am just not cut out to be out all night.

I don't like these early openings either. Last year my shopping crew all agreed there was nothing any of us wanted that was worth being out at the early hours for. We all de decided 6am was early enough and we didn't miss out on anything we wanted and we didn't stand in lines in the cold :)

I don't like the midnight openings. Last year I shifted gears at the last minute and went into a Toys R Us after midnight. The long delay there produced little and through off my routine.

Not planning to do a midnight opening this year, but will decide when I see all the lists and opening times.

I've gotten in the habit of asking the store employees what they know about BF these days. I asked an associate at Target last week and she said she didn't know what they were going to be selling, but that she's been told to expect to be at work before midnight because the store will be opening early this year. Take it for what its worth.

Last year TRU opened at 10pm Thursday. Old Navy opened at midnight and was open Thanksgiving. It was great. In the past the mall made us sit outside in 10 degree temperatures until about 4am Friday morning. Last year we had access to the bathroom in Old Navy as well as a place to warm up or just walk around rather than sit on the line the entire time. Since Old Navy is right next to Best Buy, when they opened for Old Navy they let everyone on line for BB line up inside the mall at midnight. In my previous 14 years of doing Black Friday it was by far the best for the fact that we were warm and had access to a bathroom except from 8pm (or 9pm, can't remember) until midnight when they reopened. I really hope Old Navy does the same this year. In addition to being first on line for BB, I moved 1 chair over to the Old Navy line and was first there as well. Went in grabbed my items, got my free video game, and was out within 5 minutes. We were able to put the items we intended to buy in Old Navy on BF in a corner so all I had to do was grab my pile and get to the register. In fact we don't usually do Old Navy but because they were open and it was convenient.

HATE it!!! I get up early on Thanksgiving and host dinner, so I really look forward to and NEED some sleep before I go and shop all day! I'm usually in bed around 10pm and up around 3am and then spend the entire day shopping (don't get home until 6 or 7pm). With the midnight openings, I don't sleep and just get too tired to shop :( I'm not sure I'm going out this year if there are a lot of stores doing midnight openings :(

Midnight openings don't bother me. Last year, I was out my house by 7pm Thanksgiving to get to TRU. Left TRU, went to Wal-Mart and then stopped in Gamestop @ the mall. I then went home, dropped stuff off & was @ Target by 3am. Left Target by 5:30, went to Sam's Club and Five Below and was home in bed by 7:30....

I love midnight madness at the outlets and the stores opening up earlier is messing me up because 5am was perfect amount of time for me to shop everything I needed at the outlets then run to kmart, then toys r us, then still hit the mall before the 10am-noon timeline ended on most of the stores their discounts!

I myself HATE the midnight openings. My best friend and I always used Black Friday as a girls day out. Would do the 5am Walmart, then Target. Grab a bite of breakfast and hit all of the other stores, then go to a buffet for lunch. Now our whole tradition is ruined :(

My husband and I did the exact same thing until last year of course. This year will take alot more planning and like last year alot less sleep. ugh

I don't like it simply because it is unfair to the workers, who either have to skip or cut short their Thanksgiving, or go without sleep the night before their biggest day of the year. That has to be torture for them.

When KMart introduced their sales on Thanksgiving Day, I decided then that, as much as I love my bargains, no deal is worth my making someone else give up their Thanksgiving with their family.

I don't like it simply because it is unfair to the workers, who either have to skip or cut short their Thanksgiving, or go without sleep the night before their biggest day of the year. That has to be torture for them.

When KMart introduced their sales on Thanksgiving Day, I decided then that, as much as I love my bargains, no deal is worth my making someone else give up their Thanksgiving with their family.

I understand your point of view, but do you watch TV, use the phone, electricity on Thanksgiving, someone has to give up their day to work for them as well. I am in Healthcare, hospitals have to stay open too.

I myself HATE the midnight openings. My best friend and I always used Black Friday as a girls day out. Would do the 5am Walmart, then Target. Grab a bite of breakfast and hit all of the other stores, then go to a buffet for lunch. Now our whole tradition is ruined :(

Thats basically what I do with my die hard relatives. We just decide we are going out at 5 or 6. I do most of my shopping on line now so that takes a lot of pressure off and I can enjoy the moment, (if that makes sense) LOL :cheesy:

I personally hate the midnight openings. I went last year to walmart at midnight and was up over 24 hours. I had actually only been up about 18 hours when I started getting so nauseated and sick. I tried to sleep in my SIL truck while her and my MIL were shopping (hoping this would help how I felt), but I couldn't ever fall asleep. I blame my sickness on me not eating anything for supper b/c I was super stuffed from thanksgiving lunch and the fact that i had been up since 7am thanksgiving morning with no nap. I need atleast a couple of hours of sleep before I get up and do a days worth of shopping. I like being at kohls when they open, then hitting up target and then the mall. We are usually done by lunch and then its a hour drive back home. Afterwards, I am drained, my feet hurt, my hair is a mess and my make up is gone, but its still my most favorite holiday of the year! LOL!

Looks like more hate it than like it. I, personally like it. I'm a total night owl anyway. Who really sleeps that night anyway. I know, I'm always up half the night planning. Last year I stayed up all night Thanksgiving night waiting for BB to drop the price on DH's Sony Vaio package deal. It finally dropped at 7:30 am, then went to Kmart for their Thanksgiving Day sale to get what I needed there. Helped cook for 2 families on Thanksgiving day and then left for Walmart at 10 that night. Got everything else I needed paid, then was there all night waiting for the Ipod with the giftcard deal. Of course, we had to go to the mall too..... Not sure what we will be doing this year, as I don't have much left to buy. I'm sure I will find something I need.