When is it officially Christmas time in your house?

dwc designs

Pretty much every year on BF after shopping and the annual nap, we pull out the decorations, turn on the Christmas music, and get to work on the tree. The girls love it and get so excited because thats when the count down for Christmas begins.

Even though we are in the spirit with the music and the decorating it still isn't officially Christmas time until one thing happens...

The airing of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas"

http://images.bcdb.com/pictures/other/grinch_stole.jpg

No matter how many times we watch this, it's like watching for the first time. It's funny because my DD knows all the words by heart!

So what event makes the holiday season official in your home? Is it a movie? A song? Something completely random?

We usually put up the fake Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving but it seems like we are putting it up earlier and earlier! I think we put it up last year a few weeks before Thanksgiving. If we get a real tree we usually dont put it up until the weekend after Thanksgiving. We already have Christams music playing in the car. Ds#2(10) got out the car this morning at school singing a Christmas song.:lmao: Christmas is our favorite holiday by far.

We love watching A Christmas Story.

Normally on Thanksgiving evening. We put up our family room tree and put the lights on it then my husband and I snuggle on the couch with wine and watch Holiday Inn. We decorate the tree with ornaments the friday after Thanksgiving and spend the weekend decorating the house inside and out and set up the rest of the Christmas trees.

This year, my husband is deployed for the holidays. The kids and I will still decorate and it will be officially holiday time, but I don't really think it will feel the same.

We usually put up the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. This year we are going to put it up the week of Thanksgiving. My kids are out that whole week this year for fall break so that is something that we can do while they are out. I can't wait.

We always watch A Christmas Story. my daughter, 5, has already started watching her Christmas DVD's. I can't wait for Christmas movies to come on. It just isn't Christmas w/out the movies. Last year we were without cable and I couldn't watch any Christmas specials. It just didn't seem right...lol.

We will also start listening to Christmas music the week of Thanksgiving also. Although, my daughter and I have listened to some Christmas music already:)

We all love Christmas! I am so excited!

We usually put up the fake Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving but it seems like we are putting it up earlier and earlier! I think we put it up last year a few weeks before Thanksgiving. If we get a real tree we usually dont put it up until the weekend after Thanksgiving. We already have Christams music playing in the car. Ds#2(10) got out the car this morning at school singing a Christmas song.:lmao: Christmas is our favorite holiday by far.

We love watching A Christmas Story.

A Christmas Story is also a classic. My wife and I usually watch that Christmas eve as we wrap the gifts since it's usually on back to back.

It starts on Thanksgiving Day here. We get our meal done and if I have done any early shopping I start to wrap gifts. Hubby will get tree assembled while I am out on BF to decorate when I get home. We really think of Christmas year round but the down and dirty season starts on turkey day.

For us the holidays kick off when we put up the tree, which is usually Thanksgiving night. My younger daughter's birthday is 12/12 though, so every year I ask her if she would like us to wait to put out holiday decorations until after her birthday. I couldn't have hand picked a better child to be born right in the middle of the Christmas season though, because she LOVES the holidays. Every year she wants the tree set up early, and always asks to have her birthday presents put under the tree. I always hold back a few special decorations, and put them out the night before her birthday so it looks extra festive when she wakes up. (if she ever requests us to hold off the holidays until after her birthday though, I will respect her wishes 100%) I've already started listening to Christmas music on my own though; it helps put me in the holiday mood and this year I need to have most of my holiday shopping/tasks done before Thanksgiving since I'm due to have a baby around 11/26. We don't have cable, and all of our Christmas movies were on VHS, so we don't have any Christmas DVD's to watch. Last year we mainly relied on Hulu for Christmas specials. This year though I'm going to give my kids a big basket of their favorite Christmas movies when the new baby comes home; can't wait!!!

Usually right after Thanksgiving. I host a huge family feast and then we relax and watch nice movies/or have the Christmas music going, by the next day black friday madness and decorating has me in FULL holiday mode =)

Of course unofficially I start thinking about Christmas in September...lol

The day after Thanksgiving (oh how I get excited thinking about it)! After I get home from my shopping and have a chance to relax...hubby pulls out the tree and we get it all set up...we decorate the house...then later that week we do our family gingerbread house project! I absolutely cannot wait!

THANKSGIVING NIGHT. My wife, kids ( 2 -dd ) and myself put up the tree, listen to christmas music and bake cookies. I then set out my ads and fine tune my plans for black friday. This year I want to put it up a little earlier so that I can get a few hours sleep before I hit the lines. My bones are starting to ache so the have to rest them before I use them to there max. :g_laughin

OK :blush: we put up our tree every year on Christmas Eve...it is just the way I always have done it...tradition. This year I will be a completely empty nester and don't think I will have a tree. I may buy one of those little table top real ones that come decorated. Sadly I do not think it will be a great holiday but we plan to do all our regular stuff just via Skype this year. I will read TNBC as always and then get up and have Monkey Bread on Xmas morning and watch each other open gifts via Skype. It certainly could be alot worse :yup:

The day after Thanksgiving (oh how I get excited thinking about it)! After I get home from my shopping and have a chance to relax...hubby pulls out the tree and we get it all set up...we decorate the house...then later that week we do our family gingerbread house project! I absolutely cannot wait!

Sounds great! How I wish we had that tradition. Almost wish I could be adopted by another Gottadealer family that likes decorating as much as me! LOL.

My husband is mostly a scrooge and thinks BF is waaay to soon to put tree up. Most of the time I put it up alone. . . :( but he often helps with outdoor decorations.

His parents were very non-traditional people. There is nothing they do "every year" except for getting tree a few days before xmas--not that I am knocking folks who do that purposely, but I really think it has to do with procrastination..

Edited by allshoppedout

The outside lights go up right after I take down the Halloween decs because after that it gets really cold - I don't turn them on til Thanksgiving night though. Inside decorations go out right after I am done shopping on Black Friday :) The tree goes up the following week.....any earlier and the needles are all dropping before Christmas LOL. We also watch a Christmas Story on Christmas eve after the boys go to bed and we do the Santa thing. I nice bottle of wine and the fire going....of course my little darlings are 13, 16 & 17 this year but off to bed they will go by 11.....after all those who don't believe, don't receive ;)

It's kind of "officially Christmas" in my house after Thanksgiving. But we don't decorate anymore until mid-December :( We used to get our tree and pull out all the decorations on Thanksgiving weekend. But the kitties have pushed back the schedule a bit! Hopefully as they get older we will be able to enjoy all the holiday decorations around the house longer - I do love them. But about two weeks is enough for all of us as it stands right now LOL

Trick or Treat is always the last Thurs in our area. While my husband gives out candy, I put away all the Halloween decorations. Then, as we carry a tote of Halloween decorations downstairs, a Christmas tote comes upstairs. (no use coming upstairs empty handed) :) All of the totes are labeled with what room the decorations go in, so it makes it a lot easier to put them out. My husband did ask me last night if I wanted to go ahead and put the tree up this weekend though, so we might start that tonight.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who decorates on Nov. 1st, lol. I have no bad memories of Christmas, only happy, beautiful ones. The most peaceful thing to me, is sitting on my couch in the middle of the night with all of the lights and tv's off, while everyone is asleep and watching the tree lights. I love the lights, decorations, movies, music, food, and feeling of Christmas. There is so much "ugly" in the world, I just think that I want as much Christmas as I can get. I love it and want it up as long as possible, lol.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who decorates on Nov. 1st, lol. I have no bad memories of Christmas, only happy, beautiful ones. The most peaceful thing to me, is sitting on my couch in the middle of the night with all of the lights and tv's off, while everyone is asleep and watching the tree lights. I love the lights, decorations, movies, music, food, and feeling of Christmas. There is so much "ugly" in the world, I just think that I want as much Christmas as I can get. I love it and want it up as long as possible, lol.

I love this, and completely agree.