What will your kids give their teacher(s) this year?

angelbabymommy

I think it is sad that school districts don't allow gifts. It is special for the kids (especially younger ones) to be able to pick out something special for their teachers who have worked hard all year long to teach them.

I am glad that ours is not strict in that sense.

Tell me if this sounds stupid you guys... My dad is a genuine beekeeper. My son and I helped spin out and jar the honey this year and the kids thought it would be neat to give the honey as gifts. My one son wants to include pictures of him and Grandpa spinning the comb out. This is local honey that he actually sells..and it is a hot item...so it's not junk. Do you think it's ok to give?

Tell me if this sounds stupid you guys... My dad is a genuine beekeeper. My son and I helped spin out and jar the honey this year and the kids thought it would be neat to give the honey as gifts. My one son wants to include pictures of him and Grandpa spinning the comb out. This is local honey that he actually sells..and it is a hot item...so it's not junk. Do you think it's ok to give?

That sounds like a fantastic idea.

My kids always give something they made themselves. One year we did hot chocolate mixes and homemade marshmallows, another year little flower pots they decorated. It's always something they made themselves.

Plus who doesn't love honey.

My son that helped us do the collecting and stuff is going to be really excited about it, it was his idea to give it too!

I love that it was his idea and think the pics of the process along with the gift is a very cute/creative idea too. Plus I think it will be more appreciated as it's something he worked on as opposed to YOU buying.

the grade school sent out a list of gift cards that the teachers wanted..... sorta of pricy...... I would sen my own gits in. one year thought I was able to go the Vera Bradley sale and got purses for $5.00 stocked up and was able to give these out for 2 years. they loved them..... always got thanks you notes.

We don't have any teachers to buy for (homeschool! lol!), but my kids all have gymnastics coaches they adore. My daughters (age 7 and 10) have good basic sewing skills, and asked if they could make fleece scarves for their coaches. I figured I'd bundle the scarf with a gift card to Starbucks. I'm not sure what to do for my boys' coach though. He's a super awesome coach, but as far as I can tell, he's not really "into" anything. (he's sort of a minimalist hippie) I'd like to do something for him since he's been coaching my autistic son every week for over a year, and my younger son joined his class this summer. He has made gymnastics a really fun and positive experience for my boys, but especially my autistic son. Any suggestions?

We don't have any teachers to buy for (homeschool! lol!), but my kids all have gymnastics coaches they adore. My daughters (age 7 and 10) have good basic sewing skills, and asked if they could make fleece scarves for their coaches. I figured I'd bundle the scarf with a gift card to Starbucks. I'm not sure what to do for my boys' coach though. He's a super awesome coach, but as far as I can tell, he's not really "into" anything. (he's sort of a minimalist hippie) I'd like to do something for him since he's been coaching my autistic son every week for over a year, and my younger son joined his class this summer. He has made gymnastics a really fun and positive experience for my boys, but especially my autistic son. Any suggestions?

Gas card? Target, Walmart card? Hickory Farms pkg?

I would be thrilled, local honey is hard to come by here and we definatly know all the benefits. I think your idea is creative and AWESOME

Something we gave to the teacher a few years ago where the metal kitchen whisks filled with the red and green wrapped hershey kisses. Wrapped up the bottoem with clear food pastic wrap and attached a home gift tag that said We Whisk you a Merry Kissmas! Found that idea one another site.. It was gift that went over well. It was very inexpensive and our daughter had fun helping to assemble them.

I haven't given it any thought yet. DD is now in middle school, so this year thats 7 teachers + soccer and swim coaches + piano and violin teachers. I usually give all the same thing. May be BBW except for male coach. Good ideas in this thread.

Something we gave to the teacher a few years ago where the metal kitchen whisks filled with the red and green wrapped hershey kisses. Wrapped up the bottoem with clear food pastic wrap and attached a home gift tag that said We Whisk you a Merry Kissmas! Found that idea one another site.. It was gift that went over well. It was very inexpensive and our daughter had fun helping to assemble them.

I have gotten this before when I was a childrens Sunday School teacher. I thought it was adorable and I still use the whisk.

Ooh I love this idea!!

That is the best idea I have ever heard......and definately include the picture! That is very thoughtful and special. Your son is going to make some woman very happy one day ;)

****forgot the add the quote - honey & pic idea!!!

Edited by jskarp
referencing quote

I love the honey Idea. I am a high school teacher, and occasionally I get a gifts, not as common as Elementary teachers. My favorite gifts are the notes from students telling me how much they enjoy the class or have learned. I have saved them all. Once a student gave me a bottle of tequila, it was awkward to say the least since he was a minor and I don't drink and would never think of bringing liquor to work. Not to offend but my elementary school teacher friends tell me they get so many mugs every year that they really don't appreciate the mugs but do appreciate the thought. They tell me that gift cards are the best, most use them to buy things for the class. Homemade foods generally are not a good idea, the food often goes to waste. The thing to avoid the most is the #1 teacher gifts, you can only have so much of them.

I have been collecting little things I got for next-to-nothing and am thinking I might put them in the 2 liter pop bottles that was quite a popular idea here a few years ago.

Does anyone have the actual pictures of those bottles?

I remember how to make them,but wanted to see them again just to make sure.

TIA

I was thinking of making homemade fudge this year because my kids each have 2 teachers plus music teacher. Do teachers actually eat what they are given? Or should I scrap that and do something else? Thanks.

I took a break from teaching with my 2 little ones but was a teacher for a few years and will go back when my son starts kindergarten. I have to honestly say I appreciate anything I was ever given from hand drawn pictures and notes to lavish gifts. However, me personally and pretty much all of my teacher friends would never eat a homemade food gift. It is not an insult but it would always go to waste. I would personally ask the teacher if this is something they would enjoy as people are very particular about their food. I was always very thankful when I got a homemadefood gift but then it would always go straight to waste n I always felt terrible.