What will your kids give their teacher(s) this year?

angelbabymommy

We will be making homemade peanut butter cracker sandwiches dipped in white chocolate. My dd9 & I were browsing around Dollar Tree looking at the Christmas stuff after we stopped in there for a pumpkin carving kit & can across some cute decorative tins to put the cookies in. My dd9 has 1 teacher and she wants to do some for her 2 music teachers that also direct her school choir that's she's in & dd3 has 2 teachers.

What will your kiddies do?

I will be making little hot beverage gifts. I found some coffee cozies at the Target Dollar Spot that had an ugly felt flower on them, so I cut off the flowers and am making my own felt flowers to attatch. I will put them on a travel beverage cup, and put a small Starbucks giftcard inside with some chocolate dipped spoons :)

What a thoughtful gift! Do some snooping to make sure there are no allergies or adversions to peanuts though (I am sure you already have!)

I told my kids just this morning to start "snooping" as to what their teachers want/like/need. I am part of our PTO so I get a little help since I get to see the teachers "wishlist" for teacher appreciation day :D I usually give giftcards to a craft store because we have awesome teachers that I personally know use alot of thier own money to supply things for class or I give gift certificates for the massage therapist.

I got ds#2's teacher gift already. I got her an organizing utility tote with the poparazzi dot print with a N on it for her last name. I ordered it at a thirty-one party. My friends who are teachers at school have one and LOVE it. They all thought Mrs. N would love one too. I also found a Florida State Seminoles recycle bag It will be as her gift bag. Ds#1 is in high school and it is so not cool to bring your teachers gifts.

I have a kid in jr. high that acts like it kills him to take his teacher cards with $10 sonic cards. We are having a hard time with his history teacher this year and I don't think she's getting anything at ALL. I am sure he will be happy that its one less card to hand out! Edited by mom2monkiesx3

The last time Target's Dollar spot went down I stocked up on Coupon holder magnets, paper clips, memo pads etc. So everyone is getting a nice little assortment. I think I spent less than $1.50 per person. For her main teacher we also got a special teacher mug (after Christmas last year) I will fill it with something.

What a thoughtful gift! Do some snooping to make sure there are no allergies or adversions to peanuts though (I am sure you already have!)

I told my kids just this morning to start "snooping" as to what their teachers want/like/need. I am part of our PTO so I get a little help since I get to see the teachers "wishlist" for teacher appreciation day :D I usually give giftcards to a craft store because we have awesome teachers that I personally know use alot of thier own money to supply things for class or I give gift certificates for the massage therapist.

Yes, thank you. I told to her to check with them. If they are, then we have some time to change up.

this kills me because my kids each have 2 teachers, an aide and a teacher. I also think my dd has a music teacher as well. For those that do gcs, how much per teacher and where? I was thinking maybe $15 each to target but right there times 6 is a lot of money:( Not sure what to do.

I always do a little less for the teacher's aid, last year both my kids had one too. Which I always feel bad about since they work hard too, sometimes harder and are often left out of the gift giving all together. I am room mom and was very suprised that I was also given a few small gifts last year.

Honestly you have to draw a line you are comfortable with. I used to give gifts to the principals, secretary, dance teachers, gymnastics coaches, ect but with three kids in different schools and involved in so much I had to start being realistic!

My son has 8 classes in Jr. high with 2 coaches in PE. I gave them each $10 giftcards to Sonic. Right there that was $90 and that was just doing something very small to show our appreciation! The year we had aids I did $25 and $20 giftcards. I usually go overboard if its just one teacher and do $50 but I may cut back on that this year too and just do the $25 like I did last year.

I usually also do some snooping to find out what they like, I have the kids ask them. I also have a TON of teachers to buy for and coaches ( since all 3 of the kids are in sports). I just try to find things they will like that are in the budget I have. Usually I get the coaches beauty sets from bath and body works or vs ( since they are young female cheerleading and gymnastic coaches) I usually get the extra teachers ( choir , gym etc) a small gift set from bbw and a small bag of nice chocolate llke lindt. The main teachers it all depends on what they like..sometimes giftcards, or large giftbaskets full of things my kids told me they like. My childrens speech teacher is amazing so she will probably get the largest gift this year for my kids teachers, hoping to find a good deal on a coach wristlet or small purse this bf that she would like...

As far as people looking for suggestions I would say just stay in your budget, dont stress out about it and just be creative. Your kids teahers put alot of effort into your childs education and are an important part of their life so the gift should just be a nice way of showing appreciation no matter what it is =)

Last year after christmas we found these cute red, green and white dip bowls with matching plates marked down. Both kids are in elementary school so their main teachers are getting them along with some dip mixes. I used to sell Tastefully Simple but stopped a couple months ago. My last order I put in were a ton of the single serve dip mixes in vaious flavors. The rest of the kids teachers will get cards with a few packets of the dip mixes in them.

We also have a lot of teachers to buy for. Thankfully my boys are in the same grade with the same teachers and coaches..lol (twins). So, that does help some. They are in the 8th grade. We are going to do something for them but not sure what. they have four teachers, two P.E. coaches, four football coaches (one is their teacher also), and three baseball coaches. I am not sure if we will get baseball coaches anything since baseball will not have started for the season and there are going to be some new coaches. But still that is 9 to buy for. I will definitely do some baskets for the female teachers. I have lots of trial size bodywash and shampoo and stuff like that to put it in one. I was also thinking of buying a couple of boxes of hot chocolate and some of the individual packs of marshmallows and a mug in each basket and maybe some post its and stuff like that. I will have to keep it under 6.00 per person, so I will definitely have to be creative..lol.

we do baskets each year... we fill them with school supplies (pens, pencils, erasers, etc) from the staples summer sales. We round it out with candy, hand sanitizer, and soap from B&BW... plus something subject related if we can (a mini globe for the world geo teacher - music paper for the music teacher) maybe a small gift card or other trinket. This year we are making bookmarks with apple charms. We usually get the baskets from the dollar store :)

The kids (in 6th & 8th grades) pick the teachers they want to give to... last year we did.... 8 baskets. I fully expect to be doing at least that many this year.

Its pretty manageable cost wise by buying clearance and sale stuff and saving it for the baskets.

this kills me because my kids each have 2 teachers, an aide and a teacher. I also think my dd has a music teacher as well. For those that do gcs, how much per teacher and where? I was thinking maybe $15 each to target but right there times 6 is a lot of money:( Not sure what to do.

You don't have to spend that much-we teachers appreciate $1 gifts just as much/a favorite candy, holiday pens, etc. :)

I am also a teacher and appreciate ANYTHING! It was hard when my kids were in middle school. I usually bought antibacterial and socks from B and B Works. Every year , I pick up the socks at after Christmas sales. I also picked up Christmas ornaments on sale at the Hallmark shop. (at times, 90% off)

For the male teachers, we got them the peanut sampler from Mr. Peanut or Dairy Queen gift card.

You don't have to spend that much-we teachers appreciate $1 gifts just as much/a favorite candy, holiday pens, etc. :)

Wish the teachers at our school felt that way, I stopped giving teacher gifts when they sent home notes stating they didn't want more "stuff" or baked goods, please send gift cards & then not one of them sent home a thank you or even an acknowledgement of the gift.

we do baskets each year... we fill them with school supplies (pens, pencils, erasers, etc) from the staples summer sales. We round it out with candy, hand sanitizer, and soap from B&BW... plus something subject related if we can (a mini globe for the world geo teacher - music paper for the music teacher) maybe a small gift card or other trinket. This year we are making bookmarks with apple charms. We usually get the baskets from the dollar store :)

The kids (in 6th & 8th grades) pick the teachers they want to give to... last year we did.... 8 baskets. I fully expect to be doing at least that many this year.

Its pretty manageable cost wise by buying clearance and sale stuff and saving it for the baskets.

Cute idea!

Wish the teachers at our school felt that way, I stopped giving teacher gifts when they sent home notes stating they didn't want more "stuff" or baked goods, please send gift cards & then not one of them sent home a thank you or even an acknowledgement of the gift.

Wow, that's a shame they sent a "note" rejecting the gifts...

I can honestly say I have had about 40% of the teachers we've given things to never acknowledge them. I thought maybe it was because they are not supposed to accept gifts, so they don't want evidence (a t-you note) showing that they got a gift..but then I just concluded they were rude. Depending on my budget, I don't always give expensive gifts but worth at least ten dollars, (I don't feel that is being cheap) do you? I gave a teacher a present 3 years in a row and she never sent a thank you. I did it because she helped my son a good bit--but thought her rude not to acknowledge...

We've found that most of the teachers send thank you notes... and the ones who don't are mostly male...

If you tell me what to give, I will not give anything. I don't blame you for stopping!

I send Thank You notes for EVERYTHING. Even the pictures they color for me. If they took the time to think of me, it deserves a Thank You.

This is my first year with a middle schooler so I'm not sure exactly how that is going to work. She has at least 9 teachers. We might just do gift cards for them. For my ds10, he is in a new school district this year and I need to find out what the rules are. In our old district, we would send in $25 to the room parent and they would purchase a really nice classroom gift. So there were no separate gifts given. If we get to send in individual gifts, I have some ideas already. ;)

Cash. So far, at both schools we've been to, a room mom sends in a note asking each parent to contribute $5. Then she will put it all together and buy one bigger gift for the teacher (usually gift cards and some small trinket). The gift comes from "The Class" so no child is individually recognized or left out.

My kids are young. They know that I contribute to the class gift fund, but they like to give their teacher something they participate in so I do have my kids give the teacher a little something extra, too.

Last year one child gave her teacher 100 pencils. My DD had a habit of "losing" her pencil and her teacher was constantly giving her new ones - it only seemed fair for me to replenish the teacher's stock. This year the kids each picked up a little something that goes with the theme of their classrooms. One classroom is decorated with Disney stuff and so we chose a pointer that looks like Mickey's gloved hand. The other classroom has a monkey theme (and my kids love those super-long erasers from Staples) so we picked up a monkey-shaped eraser for the teacher. One year I made gift bags from coupon & clearance items: BBW hand soap and good-smelling hand sanitizer, lotion, chapstick, candles, cookies, and a homemade ornament from the kiddos. Each year the kids make a homemade card for their teacher.