Skylanders - Hot new video game this year?

AudreyNicole

This morning on the way to school, my sons and I were talking about things that they might want for Christmas. My 9 year old mentioned only one thing - Skylanders. I asked him what it was and he told me to search on google because it was too hard to explain it all. So I did, and found that it is a video game for all of the major platforms that comes in a bundle with 3 figurines that synch to the game somehow and you can play in a virtual world. There will also be add-on packs. But the bundle is $70, and I am worried it will be a novelty thing... Just curious if anyone else's children are mentioning these? It is being released on Sunday, October 16th, and I am wondering how fast I have to scramble to get one if I want to get one for my son.

You can read more about them here:

http://www.skylanders.com/

DS13 checked out the display at TRU this past weekend. He is very involved with the video game world, and he says it looks very interesting. He added it to his Christmas list as well. Be aware that it could run into alot of money, depending on what he wants to go with it. Their are several different figures that go with it. You have to buy the figures before you can use them in the game. Here is their link. I did notice that it is on Toysrus hot toy list. Edited by Kim3498

I have been researching these, and boy oh boy, they look COOL! Logan will love it for sure. This is one of those gifts that I will be SO excited to give... he loves this kind of stuff.

Check it out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui3GRImyzfs

I am sure he will want every character, but his birthday is in May, and I figure I can get him some for that, maybe some for Valentine's Day or something... I am sure it will end up costing a fortune in the long run, but I know he will play it often.

I picked up a bundle and the Whirlwind figure at Target on Sunday morning. I plan to get more figures a little at a time between now and Christmas. Walmart didn't have them at all.

That really stinks that someone was allowed to buy 10 of them! I sure he knows people will pay top dollar closer to Christmas. People like that are the ones that make things impossible to find :(

This is the first I've heard of this! And I see it's for ALL of the systems..I'm so curious what system my boys would want it on. I'm gonna have to ask them about it today..I don't know if they have even seen it. We made a few trips to Game Stop over the weekend and didn't see anything about this!

what is the age for this and how hard is it? Would it be appropriate for an 8 yr old girl and 5 yr old boy? Thanks,.

It is rated E10+. But there are people on the Skylanders facebook page mentioning how much their 6 year old love it. We have not played it yet, so I can't say for sure how difficult it is, but my boys are 8 and 9 and are really looking foward to it :)

After seeing these today at TRU (they had an awesome display) I would say these are going to be HOT for Christmas. And to sweeten the pot TRU has a B2G1 free on all video games and accessories. So these are included. If you have 3 game systems you can get one for free. I picked up the 3DS and the Wii plus a tower storage (my free item). Since I spent $100 I get an exclusive Skylander . They will send you a certificate by email and the end of the promotion which states 12/24, so it will be awhile. I also did two other seperate transactions and got 3x 3packs and then 3x 1 packs. I think I might go back and get some more of the cute storage towers and then 2 cases.

I just went in to check it out. And when I walked in it was swamped and the sales guy was telling me how much everyone is buying. I did not want to wait till a better sale, because I think these will be hard to find later in the holiday season.

I was at the mall this weekend and one of my boys was looking at it, he said it looked a lot like U B Funkies...I am POSITIVE this will be a HOT item this year...pretty thankful my son said he wasn't interested, but those of you who are, I predict a seperate thread for these like we had for Zhu Zhu Pets...it will all of a sudden be impossible to find!

Went back to Target today and mine was completely sold out of the XBOX bundle, they had 1 for PS3 and quite a few for 3DS and Wii. There were still quite a few figures left, but much less than when I was there on Sunday. There was only 1 3-pack left, but alot of the single figures. I am so curious to see how these sell closer to the holidays.

Went to my local TRU this morning and picked these up. They had a whole bunch of them, but they were actually putting them out on the shelve when I got there. The guy stocking said get em while you can, so I'm guessing they sold alot of them. I got the 360 one for DS and the Wii version for my nephew. Also got 7 of the 3 pack figures. Pretty decent price at buy 2 get 1 free. Edited by Kim3498

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wanted to revive this thread to see how everyone is doing with Skylanders. Our stores keep selling out around here, but I managed to get my hands on the starter pack with 3 figures at Target today! WOO!!! I'm not waiting until BF or after, since it's hard enough to get already. I don't think I'm going to bother with the extra figures for now. I'll just let my son play with these 3 and get it started and then he can go out after Christmas and get more guys when he sees them. I'm SO EXCITED for him to open this on Christmas morning, I can hardly stand it!

I picked this up at Costco last week since it is on ds10's list (at the top!). Grandpa went out to WM, TRU and Target and bought extra figures as apparently each store has their own "exclusive" figures. I also picked up the strategy guide on Amazon for about $7 less than it was at WM. DS and all his buddies have been talking about this one so I think it is definitely a "hot" toy around here but I haven't heard any talk about it being hard to find yet.