All Right Where We Hiding the Gifts This Year?

bfaddict1977

i am lucky that my kids (ds10 and dd8) have never been snoopers. they love surprises....no matter how big or small. i usually try to wrap as i go, using certain wrapping paper for each child. i dont put name tags on them. we dont have much "hidden" storage at our house so the smaller stuff gets put in the furnace room and/or the tote that all of our christmas decorations go in. and the bigger stuff usually gets stored at a family members home.

Ohh.. Let me put my two cents in this one. All my purchases get ship to a PO Box. Mom is a snooper and she doesn't even bother to wrap them back the way I had them. Last job I a lock up key cabinet... It threw my boss off one time. all those package come tumbling down. Luckly none of them are her gift. My current job has a two drawer unit under my desk. People put work related item, I put gifts in there and only I have the key. And, that is where I hide stuff for my family. LOL.

This isn't very creative, but I just wrap up gifts as I buy them, and then stick them in giant black garbage bags and stash the bags anywhere I have space. I just tell my kids very simply, if you peek at your gifts I'll take them back and get something else, and most likely I will replace them with something less cool. Luckily my kids love being surprised, so I've never had to deal with serious peekers, lol!

This is the same thing I do...lol. no one can wrap like mom..lol. I wrap everything and tape it really really well...So if anyone gets into it I will definitely know. Last year I decided to keep a list of everything wrapped and kind of marked a few of them. This way I could keep up with what they needed to open Christmas Eve. This year I think I am going to put a small number on the bottom of the gift and then write it down in my notebook (or probably keep it on my computer) so I will know what each gift is.

I JUST WANT TO WARN ANYBODY THAT POSTS IN THIS THREAD THAT YOUR CHILDREN MAY READ THIS! - It happened a couple years ago, but someone on here posted in a thread similar to this one and one of her children read it and went and found his gifts. So proceed with caution if you have teenage children.

My kids don't even have a clue about this website and I have a password to get on my computer that they don't know, so I am safe...lol.

We have a storage cabinet in the garage that has a latch that is so high up that even I have to have a ladder, so we hide them in there, my kids have never figured it out thankfully, they aren't really snoopers though, I know it won't work when they are teenagers unless we threaten them that they will have to mow or something if they go out into the garage.

Ohh.. Let me put my two cents in this one. All my purchases get ship to a PO Box. Mom is a snooper and she doesn't even bother to wrap them back the way I had them.

Thank God! I thought I was the only child who was having trouble raising my parents! There should be a manual or something there! Or better yet....a reality TV show......instead of Super Nanny or Nanny 911......how about GRANNY 911!

I like the idea of renting a storage unit...might be the only way...

When my son was younger I used storage bins like another poster. We always had storage bins in our spare room, I would get the very big ones and put uninteresting items on top (like clothing). For really large items we kept that at my grandfather-in-laws house. Now that he is older (18) I just wrap as I buy and pile them in my closet. He is good about not going through them.

Thank God! I thought I was the only child who was having trouble raising my parents! There should be a manual or something there! Or better yet....a reality TV show......instead of Super Nanny or Nanny 911......how about GRANNY 911!

I like the idea of renting a storage unit...might be the only way...

I always have stuff shipped to a PO Box. My Ebay purchase,flash sale purchase ..... etc. Anything I don't want mom to know or anything that require signature I ship to there. My po box is one of those po box rental place because alot of website say they don't ship to po box. Rental box place has real address . LOL. Mom is horrible wrapper or she doesn't care of wrapping back. I, other hand, wrap so tight that once you had it unwrapped there is NO WAY you can put it back like I had. heh.

I've been taking things to my storage shed to hide them. Being at my parents, doesn't give us alot of room. Although I do have some presents stashed under my daughter's crib, and on top of my shelves.

If there is anything electronic in there, I would be careful. We did this 3 years ago. We put all of the boys Christmas presents in our storage shed outside. I didn't take into account the extreme heat and when we went out on Christmas Eve to get everything out, none of the electronic stuff worked. :(

• 3 weeks later...
I wrap everything as I get them, but no one but me knows who's is who's. I use a different special code every year instead of their names :tongue1:. One year it was the time they were born, one year it was their birth weight, you know, only things a mom would know!! They got so mad the first couple of years, now they come over and try to convince me they know which code is theirs, but they've never been right yet!

we live in military housing so space is limited, but in our hall closet under the stairs was a board screwed into the wall, so I removed the board and found a lovely space hidden behind the closet under the stairs. all of the gifts are in there and i just but the board back in place and kids don't even know it is there!

Although it ended disastrously last year--and believe me you don't want to hear about it, I think I will beg my sister to let the gifts at her house, she has a decent sized home. My attic is drop down steps that you cannot even stand up in once you are up there. . . so I am NOT doing that...We use all 3 of our modest sized bedrooms, have no extra room, and the hall closet is a joke, sooo tiny.

Good thing is that DVD's and electronics that my kids want now, don't take up that much room as the big toddler type toys/bikes I once bought etc, so that's a REALLY good thing.

I used to do the storage tote thing, that worked for years, no one looks for gifts under 3 bins of carefully placed bike helmets/shin pads, play clothes...LOL

Some of these posts are funny.Well for my 12DD and 15DS under the dirty dishes or in the bottom of their hamper would be ideal as they never would look there but since some of their gifts are big i hide them in my closet.Its a walkin and my kids dont believe anymore so they sit there wrapped and my kids know not to enter my room.But years past i actually went as far as renting a storage unit for a month.Thats back in the day with bikes kitchens ride in cars etc..I miss those days.

Grabs some solid colored totes from the store and lable them mom's summer clothes. Put the gifts in the bottom of the totes and some of your summer clothes on top. Do you have a friend or neighbor that you could hide the gifts at? Some of the smaller things could be hidden in the back of your dresser drawers. Just make sure you keep a list of where you hid the items at.

This is a great idea! I had put some items I've already purchased in a tote....I'll just add some old clothes over them. My kids are 4,6, 7 and 8. So they are still young enough to not notice too much! :)