No Walmart legal letter yet... update 10/19: it's here

Brad

In all honesty, because of the fact that I never got to check the Walmart ad before making my plans on where to be and what order.... Walmart has never been able to make the list of stops. Maybe this year I'll get to see their ad before I make my plans and might actually get there to make some purchases. Their letter to remove their ad when all the other ads remained posted without the threat of legal action was pretty much the equivilent of them not having a Black Friday ad since many of us make plans well in advance of the ads actually being released.

If you ever reached into a drawer or box to get a light bulb and purposely grabbed the one that is loose, instead of a newly packaged one, then couldn't figure out why it didn't work out for you the first time? Well, that about sums it up for the Walmart management scheme.

As I said before and I'll say it again, it is a stupid move for Walmart to keep their ad from being seen once the others are posted. I doubt I'm the only one that plans weeks early for BF and by the week before I have my list set based on what is closest to each other and what times they open so I can be almost everyplace when they open, lol. Walmart has not made my places to shop on BF list in a while because I don't know early enough what if any good sales they have.

That is why Walmart has become my go to place for later pricematches and Bluray purchases. They do not get my first consideration an longer! If you look at the items that are on their cheap electronics sale, you will find the Element brand, among other lower tier brands being thrown at us. Personally, I think better brands like LG need to be offered. That is why an online retailer won my heart and dollars last year.

No release date, but those dates never mattered anyway. Once it's leaked, they'll realize they can't stop it from being spread and allow us to post it anyway, just like they've done the last few years.

This whole "letter" song-and-dance really means nothing. Once it's "out there", we'll be able to post it soon thereafter, whether that happens next week or a month from now.

Seriously Brad? They sent the letter?!? I will NEVER shop at Walmart on BF again. I'm sure them not getting my money is going to really hurt their pockets! LMAO!! You did say cue the whining and complaining. Hahahaha!! I usually don't hit up walmart until later in the afternoon anyway but if there is something that I really need then I'll just have mom pick it up for me. She likes to go to WM on BF while I hit up target, kohls and the mall.

You know, I haven't been inside a Wal-Mart I think in over a year. But not because I'm boycotting them... there's like.. one... in this entire area.

I've got you beat on that one. I haven't been to Wal-Mart in over ten years, and there are two Wal-Mart stores close to my house. I just come to the Wal-Mart threads to catch up on the latest gossip and complaints. As for the C&D letter, I'm really surprised it took them so long.

The letter has arrived.

Cue the fake outrage and threats to never, ever, ever, ever shop at Walmart again, haha :P

I wonder what Wal-mart would do if: ALL BF related sites decided to NOT post the Wal-Mart ad AT ALL, chose to NOT have any Wal-mart ad discussion forums, etc - basically banned/eliminated them from the online BF world.

Also, I wonder, has anyone sent Wal-mart a response letter (not deal site members, but deal site owners)?

I wonder what Wal-mart would do if: ALL BF related sites decided to NOT post the Wal-Mart ad AT ALL, chose to NOT have any Wal-mart ad discussion forums, etc - basically banned/eliminated them from the online BF world.

Also, I wonder, has anyone sent Wal-mart a response letter (not deal site members, but deal site owners)?

I would love to see this happen, but there are still many that wait for that ad and will find someplace else to get the ad if GottaDeal didn't post it. IF I make it to Walmart at all it's usually not until 10 or 11am and at that point if I get the deal I get it if not I don't worry too much since it isn't in the top stores list I made...

Oh, Brad, that reference to the loose lightbulb... are you trying to say Walmart execs have some screws loose or something? lol. I totally agree though, they should release it earlier because it does cost them business from many of the hardcore BF shoppers, then again with a 24hr Walmart I have yet to see someone setup a tent in the electronics department, lol.

Seems to be a lawyer thing, I bet they push Walmart into writing the letter, it actually probably gets more buzz from the letter than from the ads LOL

You can only imagine how many hours they bill WM for the extensive time it took to send some e-mails, lol

• 2 weeks later...

Minor clarification from WM today:

"In past years, we have informed you ahead of time of a specific authorized release date for Walmart’s Black Friday Circular and Sunday after Thanksgiving Circular. This year we will be informing our you, in writing, as soon as it is permissible to release the Walmart Black Friday Circular and Sunday after Thanksgiving Circular."

So pretty much like I said, once it's leaked enough that they can't stop it, they'll let everyone post it.

Anonymous tip we received:

"I'm an employee at Wal-Mart and we were just told that the Black Friday ad will be released on Monday, November 21,2011. We were given that info because the customer demand for the black friday ad is increasing dramatically."

I'm guessing it'll leak before that...