Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

I have one piece of advice for those of you who plan on buying pre-owned video games on BF, please check the condition of the disc before you make a purchase. Make sure that the disc is not cracked and that there are no scratches visible. I say this from experience, as I am a former employee of EB Games (now Gamestop), so I am very familiar with what is put out on the shelves. You may hold up the line a little, but in the end, it is worth it. Usually, Gamestop has a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale on all pre-owned games on during Thanksgiving weekend, so their intentions are to take as many games in on trade before BF and sell most of them during this time.

Matt

I saw that TRU is doing their B1G1 50% off or you can B3G1F on some of their games right now. Does anyone know if they will do a B1G1F? This will be the 1st year I need to buy multiple games and didn't know if they ever do B1G1F or if Amazon does. Any suggestions on the best deal for my buck? I need to get Mario Brothers for DS Lite and Dirt 3 for Xbox 360.

I saw that TRU is doing their B1G1 50% off or you can B3G1F on some of their games right now. Does anyone know if they will do a B1G1F? This will be the 1st year I need to buy multiple games and didn't know if they ever do B1G1F or if Amazon does. Any suggestions on the best deal for my buck? I need to get Mario Brothers for DS Lite and Dirt 3 for Xbox 360.

It's usually Buy1Get1 half off or Buy2Get1free. Target also has the B2g1free every year starting around this time. I usually buy during buy1get1half off, however last year I got alot of great deals on Amazon for up to 50% off. I did most of my Amazon buying during the lightning deals the whole week of Thanksgiving.

Edited by Kim3498

I doubt you'll see a B1G1F unless it's for much older titles. They won't do that on anything released recently.

Thanks everyone. I tried the B1G1 50% off alittle while ago on the 2 games that I need, but it won't let me do it b/c 1 game is an Xbox game that is part of the B2G1F deal and the DS Lite game is part of the B1G1 50% off sale. When I added them both to my cart, it only let me choose the option of B2G1F. I don't need 3 games but that might change. Hopefully amazon will do the B1G1 50% off and I'll be able to get both games from them.

Thanks everyone. I tried the B1G1 50% off alittle while ago on the 2 games that I need, but it won't let me do it b/c 1 game is an Xbox game that is part of the B2G1F deal and the DS Lite game is part of the B1G1 50% off sale. When I added them both to my cart, it only let me choose the option of B2G1F. I don't need 3 games but that might change. Hopefully amazon will do the B1G1 50% off and I'll be able to get both games from them.

Yeah, Toysrus has all kinds of fine print. I tried ordering the buy2get1free online but it was charging me shipping cost. Not that great of savings. I will wait. Amazon is having video games in their gold box deals all day tomorrow. It starts at midnight pacific time. You might wanna check that out.

Does anyone know about xbox live gc's? My nephew wants a xbox live gift card that is good for a year. I looked at Gamestop and saw that they are $60. Do they go on sale at christmas? That might be a dumb question, but if I get him the xbox live card then that will take a big chunk out of the money that I spend on him. I hate for that to be it. His mom is a single mom and I always tend to go over board for him and my niece. He also wants me to get him some clothes from american eagle and I'm sure I'll get him some stuff from there on BF. Edited by Jen08
spelling error

Does anyone know about xbox live gc's? My nephew wants a xbox live gift card that is good for a year. I looked at Gamestop and saw that they are $60. Do they go on sale at christmas? That might be a dumb question, but if I get him the xbox live card then that will take a big chunk out of the money that I spend on him. I hate for that to be it. His mom is a single mom and I always tend to go over board for him and my niece. He also wants me to get him some clothes from american eagle and I'm sure I'll get him some stuff from there on BF.

Keep an eye on Ebay. That is where I get my DS Xbox Live cards. They always put them on sale. I usually get them for about $35. Sign up for their Deals of the Day and you will get emails everyday. They had it on sale about 2 weeks ago again. I also get the Live points there also. I have never paid full price for it.

Let's clear the air with the Gamestop association with EB Games. EB Games was a great company with a penchant for selling new and used PC games as well as their staple, the console game. They were bought out by Gamestop and systematically torn apart and in the process destroyed the resale market for PC games as we know it. Gamestop has a horrific customer satisfaction rating and is constantly being reported to the better Business bureau.

http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/GameStop

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/gamestop.html

http://www.bbb.org/fort-worth/Business-Reviews/video-games-dealers/gamestop-inc-in-grapevine-tx-235959224/complaints/

Now, my personal favorite site, look at the rating for the company. it has been steadily falling with no end to the freefall in sight.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/GameStop

Edited by jaymacfla

Let's clear the air with the Gamestop association with EB Games. EB Games was a great company with a penchant for selling new and used PC games as well as their staple, the console game. They were bought out by Gamestop and systematically torn apart and in the process destroyed the resale market for PC games as we know it. Gamestop has a horrific customer satisfaction rating and is constantly being reported to the better Business bureau.

http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/GameStop

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/gamestop.html

http://www.bbb.org/fort-worth/Business-Reviews/video-games-dealers/gamestop-inc-in-grapevine-tx-235959224/complaints/

Now, my personal favorite site, look at the rating for the company. it has been steadily falling with no end to the freefall in sight.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/GameStop

My own experiences with Gamestop have been good, but the employees at the one we have frequented since it was a Rhino are excellent. But I agree that EB Games was a slightly better company once they grew into the size. They had their own issues back in the 80s as a young company under the Electronics Boutique and Games n Gadgets monikers.....

Keep an eye on Ebay. That is where I get my DS Xbox Live cards. They always put them on sale. I usually get them for about $35. Sign up for their Deals of the Day and you will get emails everyday. They had it on sale about 2 weeks ago again. I also get the Live points there also. I have never paid full price for it.

Where do you sign up for this? I can't find it.

For those of you who's children are requesting the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Collectors Edition: Gamestop informed me this morning that only a limited number of this bundle will be available, and they are reserve only. I noticed that Amazon no longer has them for reserve at $69.99 and as of last night had gone to $172.95. I reserved DS13's this morning along with the Collector's edition Strat guide at Gamestop. If you will be looking for the Collectors Edition you might want to get it put on reserve soon.

My son wants the new Call of Duty, both new Halo games, & Skyrim game for XBox 360. Hoping they have a sale. Amazon had great sales on video games last year. Had many daily deals plus if you bought certain games you would get credit for another game like $10 or $20. Was nice.

I pre ordered the Battlefield 3 game which comes out today. IT was shipped yesterday. I got 2 emails from Amazon. On for some wallpaper for the game and the other for a $20 credit to be used on future purchases :eyepoppin I did not even know there was a credit to be had. I see on the page that they are now giving a $10 credit. NOw I have to pre order the Call of Duty they are giving a $10 credit towards a Turtle Beach headset whih I wont pay $100 for :no: Maybe they will do a credit also with it.

I, too bought the Battlefield 3 game for my kiddo, also pre-ordered Halo Combat evolved anniversary. Between the two preorders, I got $30 credit towards just about everything amazon.com sells. Apparently, I had a $20 credit from LAST christmas, and was able to apply that to these two LOL. They also come with "bonus" content, avatars, armor and stuff like that. The kid will be happy. He's been bugging me almost daily about the games.

My son wants the new Call of Duty, both new Halo games, & Skyrim game for XBox 360. Hoping they have a sale. Amazon had great sales on video games last year. Had many daily deals plus if you bought certain games you would get credit for another game like $10 or $20. Was nice.

Don't plan on a good deal on Black Friday. There hasn't been for the other COD games in the past on Black Friday. I pre-ordered it for $12 off at newegg.com a few months back.

Does anyone know about xbox live gc's? My nephew wants a xbox live gift card that is good for a year. I looked at Gamestop and saw that they are $60. Do they go on sale at christmas? That might be a dumb question, but if I get him the xbox live card then that will take a big chunk out of the money that I spend on him. I hate for that to be it. His mom is a single mom and I always tend to go over board for him and my niece. He also wants me to get him some clothes from american eagle and I'm sure I'll get him some stuff from there on BF.

Yep! Because I don't want to deal with deals on the Xbox Live dashboard that turn on auto-renewal, I'm always on the lookout for deals on cards. They tend to get posted at various times of year randomly; luckily they get posted pretty quickly on gaming boards I'm on, but also tend to go very, very quickly. Last two I got were $28.99 then for my last $42.99, but that was an entire Live starter pack on that one, which also had 400 pts, chatpad and headset. If you want let me know and if I see something really good I can post it, but they do go real quick on those deals.

ETA: Like the previous poster said they tend to be eBay deals, though my last one was through buy.com there if I remember right. But sometimes retail sites have them too.

Edited by Paka

COD 3 had a slight price cut today on Amazon. It comes with several bonuses. I pre ordered this morning and if the price goes down will get the lower price. I also have already received 2 of my promotional codes.

I pre-ordered a book from Amazon.com like 2 months before it was supposed to come out for my son, and we thought that meant that the book would be shipped to us so that he had it on the day it was released, well it wasn't. It was shipped on that date so he got his book like 4 days after it came out, and he wasn't happy about it, everyone else in school had the book before him.

My point is that if you want something on the day it is released I wouldn't order it from Amazon again.