Official Black Friday DESKTOP COMPUTER Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

• 3 months later...

Well I am getting a desktop this year.

I am getting it for a 5 and 2 year old just to play eductaional games on it.

So my question is.

I am thinking of getting the one at Walmart for $299 on Black Friday.

One is this a good computer for this purpose?

And do you think I will have a hard time getting one? Because I also need to get one of the XBOX Bundles that morning.

Thanks

I too am in need of a desktop this year. Mostly for searching the internet, no game playing. I was also thinking about the $298 walmart one, but just saw in this Sundays ad 11/13, Officemax has one for $279. (no monitor but dont need one) Listed in ad as HP Pavilion desktop featuring Intel pentium G620 processor, 4GB memory, and 500 GB hard drive. Wondering if anyone can tell me which is the better computer. Thinking if the Office Max one is comparable, I can buy now and it will be one less thing to run or wait in line for on Black Friday lol. Hope someone with computer knowledge can help. Thanks

bumping this in case anyone has desktop questions.

the fact that this thread hasn't had any posts this year tells you all you need to know about the state of "old fashioned" desktop computers :P

Actually, more like the state of the deals, as I was somewhat looking for one this year, but there's none there at a decent enough price to get me excited.

If you want a cheaper computer that isn't going to blow you away, but still be somewhat "futureproof," I would say look at something with one of the new AMD processors in it. They are not at the level of the Intel i series, but they cost half as much.

If you are looking for something that is going to just browse the internet and watch some youtube videos, the 298 HP at Walmart will do the job. But if you plan on doing anything with any modern software, you will want something better. I would suggest the i3 desktop for $399 at Staples if you do not need a monitor. If you need a monitor, the $499 AMD quad core desktop with monitor and printer at Best Buy is a good machine. Best Buy also has an i3 model with monitor in their "online only" section that could be a great price. So keep an eye on that. One thing I have learned with desktops is that spending a little more and getting a better machine will make you happier in the long run so you aren't looking for another one next year.

Neboo, thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it and will chose one of those you mentioned. Usually I am just looking at this site and find the answers to questions I had.(couldnt find anything on the desktops) So glad there are people here willing to help. Thank you again.

Neboo, thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it and will chose one of those you mentioned. Usually I am just looking at this site and find the answers to questions I had.(couldnt find anything on the desktops) So glad there are people here willing to help. Thank you again.

Not a problem. If you really want a top of the line computer, I would suggest Dell Outlet, but it sounds like you are not in need of something that will blow you away.

Can you point me in the direction of the $499 AMB quad core at BB? Can't seem to find it!

If you are looking for something that is going to just browse the internet and watch some youtube videos, the 298 HP at Walmart will do the job. But if you plan on doing anything with any modern software, you will want something better. I would suggest the i3 desktop for $399 at Staples if you do not need a monitor. If you need a monitor, the $499 AMD quad core desktop with monitor and printer at Best Buy is a good machine. Best Buy also has an i3 model with monitor in their "online only" section that could be a great price. So keep an eye on that. One thing I have learned with desktops is that spending a little more and getting a better machine will make you happier in the long run so you aren't looking for another one next year.

Is anyone familar with the all-in -one computers? I was looking at them at BB and was thinking of getting one. Any opinions or reviews on them

Thanks

Personally, I don't think think they are all that great. If you have a space issue and dont want a cluttered look, they can be great, but otherwise they don't have the capabilities or the features of a normal PC. All in one's usually don't "pack the same punch" as a normal pc. They have smaller and slower processors, so they fit in the all in one screen. Also, I am not too keen on the touch screen. It is a cool feature, but imagine sitting at your desk with your arms up on the screen moving stuff around. You are going to want a mouse really quick because your arms are going to be tired. My suggestion would be to go to best buy and try them out.

Great thing about desktops is if you want to replace or upgrade a part, it is really easy, and for the same price you get almost double the power/hardware of a similarly priced laptop. All-in-one you loose part of both of those advantages but you do not gain the advantage of mobility that you get with a laptop...

Can someone Compare the 499 Desktop at BB and the 499 Desktop at Sam's for me. Would rather have the 23" monitor and get another printer from Sams instead of the one that is bundled with BB deal. Or should i just wait and get the i3 processor. I will be running some high dollar graphic editing software and some architect software. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Can someone Compare the 499 Desktop at BB and the 499 Desktop at Sam's for me. Would rather have the 23" monitor and get another printer from Sams instead of the one that is bundled with BB deal. Or should i just wait and get the i3 processor. I will be running some high dollar graphic editing software and some architect software. Any help is greatly appreciated.

With what you are running, nothing on BF will help you. My suggestion would be to wait and see what Dell.com and Dell Outlet have for deals. You need to get a computer with an i5 or i7 and a graphics card with at least 1gb of dedicated ram. Unfortunately all the computers on BF will not be able to handle the graphics you need.

Is anyone familar with the all-in -one computers? I was looking at them at BB and was thinking of getting one. Any opinions or reviews on them

Thanks

I have one and love it and hate it. The space saving is great, and mine has a batter backup so if the power blinks it just restores. I can put it to sleep,, pick it up, and carry it to another room and not lose anything.

Mine is only slow online. It's silly things, like typing on Facebook. I type, then wait several minutes for letters to show up. Then it hiccups and misses some letters in the middle. No one is quite sure why it does this (could be our slow Internet or the included wireless card). Mines a Compaq.

I will recommend that you make sure you get one with everything you need so that you don't have to try to add-on. I recently found mine didn't have a VGA port for a dual monitor- whoops!

Neboo thanks for your response can you lead me towards a good deal whether its on Black Fiday or not. Looked up the processors and i3 or i5 seems right for me at the moment due to money. How do i find one with a graphics card with at least 1gb of dedicated ram. I have to have one before January 1st due to job. Not a huge fan of Dell or Apple. Just me but don't care for the name sometimes im just paying for the circle or fruit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Neboo thanks for your response can you lead me towards a good deal whether its on Black Fiday or not. Looked up the processors and i3 or i5 seems right for me at the moment due to money. How do i find one with a graphics card with at least 1gb of dedicated ram. I have to have one before January 1st due to job. Not a huge fan of Dell or Apple. Just me but don't care for the name sometimes im just paying for the circle or fruit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

maybe pick up one of this 6 core or the 4 core monster and then put in a bettter video card like a 6950 1gb off of newegg.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1000-hpe-h8-1030-qn561aa-desktop-computer-phenom-ii/221901539.html

or

http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1000-hpe-h8-1040-qn562aa-desktop-computer-core-i7/222268591.html

most prebuilt PC's dont come with a good enough card for high end work, and if they do you get way overcharged.

It is much easier just to swap out the card with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150523 for $200 (no tax, no shipping).

which is the price (or even more) most manufactureres will charge you for the upgrade, but you can now sell the old card and make a small profit.

Although you are not a fan of Dell, unfortunately they are one of the only companies that you can find reasonable prices with built in video cards. I just searched Dell Outlet and found this computer

XPS8300

* Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 processor (6MB Cache, 2.8GHz)

* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

* XPS 8300

* 1 TB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)

* 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz, (2X2G/2X1G)

* 16X DVD +/- RW Drive

* AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3

For $509

Dell Outlet PCs come with a full year warranty as well.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?rn=7716&c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&PLikeId=1_871009_1_491999_1_874007_1_439907_1_870013_1_454978_1_979009_&Flag=1

a 6450 is a pitiful processor, it sells around $40 and is on about the same level as an old 8800GS....

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6450-review/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.html

I hate to be too critical, but I feel that to be a horrible recomendation for his stated needs. Processor is okay, hard driveis okay, rest is a little below what would be expected for a professional video and architectural setup.