Official Black Friday TABLET & E-READER Discussion Thread

Brad

Also starting today you can "borrow" books from Amazon with Amazon Prime. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me cuz I have the Kindle app and not an actual Kindle.

I got excited about this until I realized that you can only borrow one book a month. Amazon Prime doesn't work in Alaska so that isn't a plus. If this program allowed you to check out as many books as you wanted, but only one at a time... I would pay for the program as that amount would be worthwhile to me. One book a month, not a chance.

I'd appreciate some advice. My daughter, 11, wants a nook touch or kindle touch...both are now $99. Any advice on which is a better choice? I have amazon prime, so I could take advantage of the kindle library...

Both of them are equally good. I have the Nook and the reason I chose the Nook last year was because you can borrow books from your public library for free thru Overdrive.com.

As of September 2011 you can now borrow books on the Kindle also. I am getting my DD13 a Kindle only because I buy more books for her from Amazon (no tax) as opposed to Barnes and Noble (pay tax)

Contact your local library if you are interested in library ebook borrowing. If your local library does not do it there may be another library that does. I lie in Pennsylvania and my local library does not have ebook. As a resident of PA I was able to get a free library card for the Free Library of Philadelphia and I borrow thru them. Out of State residents can also join but they pay a fee.

I got excited about this until I realized that you can only borrow one book a month. Amazon Prime doesn't work in Alaska so that isn't a plus. If this program allowed you to check out as many books as you wanted, but only one at a time... I would pay for the program as that amount would be worthwhile to me. One book a month, not a chance.

You can borrow books for free from your local library or one nearby thru Overdrive.com If you have any questions PM me I would be happy to help you.

I remember you were not sure about the fire or nook. One thing they have mentioned on kindle forums that some nook lovers might not know. The storage space on the nook , may be more, but all but 1 gb is reserved for barnes and noble content only. You can't buy a game or movie someplace else and put it on there if it's over 1gb. They don't have a cloud storage, I guess teh 12 gb is it. It makes it much less attractive for a lot of people discussing it.

You can borrow books for free from your local library or one nearby thru Overdrive.com If you have any questions PM me I would be happy to help you.

I remember you were not sure about the fire or nook. One thing they have mentioned on kindle forums that some nook lovers might not know. The storage space on the nook , may be more, but all but 1 gb is reserved for barnes and noble content only. You can't buy a game or movie someplace else and put it on there if it's over 1gb. They don't have a cloud storage, I guess teh 12 gb is it. It makes it much less attractive for a lot of people discussing it.

I am able to download books from other places on my Nook into my internal storage, its not just for B&N storage. I also am able to sideload books on microsd cards. With the Nook you are not limited to just your internal storage, you can have as many microssd cards and keep stuff on there also.

I have nothing against the Kindle, I am still planning on getting a Kindle for my DD13 for Xmas, but I also LOVE my Nook. I am also planning on getting a Kindle for myself since I have a couple hundred free books downloaded to my PC for the Kindle (and I can borrow from the library too). I don't like reading on my phone or on my laptop.

I am between a rock and a hard place in deciding whether or not to get the Fire or the Nook Tablet for DH. I want it for him to be able to watch streamed movies. We have Prime but we also have Netflix. The Fire and the Nook Tablet dont each do both so I have to choose. Another option is getting DD13 a new laptop and DH taking her old laptop down with him and using that. Still have not made a decision yet.

I really want an e-reader and don't want one here in Japan as it's all in Japanese! I hve no clue what ones are good and hoping to score a good deal on BF

I would suggest the Kindle 3G in your case Johnny. The 3G is free and global, and the Kindle is great. It's not color though, if that makes a difference. It's $139 right now, or the Kindle Touch 3G is $149 (Just looked at Amazon jp and it's ¥ 21,299. Currency converter says that's 273USD!!!! Ack!)

I believe this is false information designed to sway people against the Nook.

It says on the Nook Tablet product page on the B&N website that 12GB of the 13GB is reserved for B&N content.

This is what it actually says:

1GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity may be less. Approximately 13GB available to store content, of which up to 12GB may be reserved for content purchased from the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store. microSD™ or microSDHC™ memory cards sold separately. microSD and microSDHC are trademarks of SD-3C.

I don't have a Nook Color, but the regular Nooks weren't restricted. In any event, you can pop in an SD card.

Edited by SuggaD

been reading this thread and i've been surprised no one mentioned the kobo touch.

it's not a tablet though - it's 'just' an ereader and does that job quite well.

been intriguing reading about the kindle fire. makes me want to look into a second ereader for the tablet features.

On amazon kindle forums, some posters report the kobo doesn't have a good selection of books with borders closing. It is best used in Canada, but not here.

been reading this thread and i've been surprised no one mentioned the kobo touch.

it's not a tablet though - it's 'just' an ereader and does that job quite well.

been intriguing reading about the kindle fire. makes me want to look into a second ereader for the tablet features.

weird! i have one! it uses epub, pdf (same as nook)

i get 20 books at a time from local library free. (just return them when done and get up to 20 more - it's awesome!)

have well over 1K books in my personal 'collection'. all were free from all the various free sites, kobo sites,, gutenburg, etc.

we were divided between nook and kobo this past spring/summer - ended up kobo touch because of customer service - which is STELLAR! nook still hasn't fixed their page refresh thing for one thing.

originally didn't want kindle 'cause of hte lack of (FREE - library loan) books available, d/t the special formatting, but now that they've started giving this to libraries (i'm sure they charge a fee, lol) i'm intrigued in a kindle for a second device - esp that color one.

i LOVE my eink though - it's PERFECT for summertime - i can read anywhere my kids are. i pull it out all the time at drive thru for bank whilst waiting for my turn.

just been reading along. going back to lurking. :)

I know I just read my email!!! This looks awesome!!! Now to decide whether to go with Newegg and $518 (missed out on the bundle for $499) for original Transformer and keyboard, or wait and get the Prime at $650. I wonder if Newegg will have any deals on BF

Happyfrog I am with you. I have the Nook and I love it. Is the Kobo also e-ink. I will be getting a Kindle for my DD for Xmas and also one for me because I have so many free books that I have gotten but cannot read them unless I sit on my laptop. It does not cost anything to borrow from the library on the Kindle either, they just have a separate line for kindle, epub or epdf. Amazon is also now allowing 1 book rental to Amazon Prime members per month.

May I ask what library you borrow from. I borrow ebooks from the Free Library of Philadelphia (only allows 10 rentals at a time) and New York Public Library (manhattan branch) (allows 12 rentals at a time) Borrowing 20 books at a time is awesome

May I ask what library you borrow from. I borrow ebooks from the Free Library of Philadelphia (only allows 10 rentals at a time) and New York Public Library (manhattan branch) (allows 12 rentals at a time) Borrowing 20 books at a time is awesome

i am part of ohio library system - so borrow from my county library online system AND from the ohio seo consortium - 10 books each. so 20 books total. some days, i can read 5-7 books. other days 'only' one or two. not counting all the school related books - i'm a homeschooling mom, too. *grin* my ereader is for me to read anything from a biography to a trashy romance. love it! cannot imagine life w/o it now.

but that kindle fire with teh options it offers, rather intriguing to me. esp now that my library has kindle books to lend.

you pulled me out of lurking! lol. i've posted more in the last week than i have in the last 6 years. *grin*

and yes, kobo touch is e-ink. so you need a light if you're in a dark room, but you can read it perfectly in any light - from dim room to bright sunlight. (i read by moon glow often, lol.)

Edited by happyfrog

I am not sure if anyone saw the Staples Black Friday add, but the Blackberry Tablet will be $199.00. I think that is very good. I am not sure what type of apps you can put on it but from a business stand point I might get me one. It does everything the ipad does but for half the cost.