Official Black Friday TABLET & E-READER Discussion Thread

Brad

Just in case anyone is still looking for one of these..... I got this e-mail tonight regarding the HP Touchpad:

Making sure customers have a positive experience when they purchase our products is a priority for us. In some cases, limited inventory makes it challenging to fulfill all customer orders. As you signed up for updates on the HP TouchPad, we wanted you to know that we are officially out of stock. Some retailers will have some stock available, but our online inventory is depleted.

Thank you for your interest in this product and the feedback you provided. Your input plays a critical role in defining our product roadmap and will help us continue to bring innovative products to market.

Sincerely,

HP

Looks like some retailers will have them available.

Here is another rumor of mine which came true! Best Buy did, in fact hoard them! http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-PCs/iPad-Tablets/pcmcat209000050006.c?id=pcmcat209000050006&DCMP=rdr6386 They are now bundling them.

A leaked ad on here states is will be 249 to try and get some of amazon's market. Amazon customers still feel the new Silk browser on the amazon fire is more advanced and it is a much better unit. I am sticking with amazon because of their wonderful customer service. If you break your kindle they overnight you a new one and give you 30 days to return the old one.

I told my dad I am waiting for Black Friday ads for Best Buy/Target to get leaked, and then if there aren't any good offers, I'll see if there is a price drop on any tablet or special offers when Best Buy has their Reward Zone Members Private Shopping Event (last year that was in early December). My dad gets Consumer Reports magazine and says that the Samsung Galaxy Tab gets good ratings....so I am leaning towards the tab, probably the new updated 7 inch Galaxy Tab Plus.

I told my dad I am waiting for Black Friday ads for Best Buy/Target to get leaked, and then if there aren't any good offers, I'll see if there is a price drop on any tablet or special offers when Best Buy has their Reward Zone Members Private Shopping Event (last year that was in early December). My dad gets Consumer Reports magazine and says that the Samsung Galaxy Tab gets good ratings....so I am leaning towards the tab, probably the new updated 7 inch Galaxy Tab Plus.

I really like the Asus Transformer. Just waiting until their announcement on Wednesday the 9th to see if the new one will be out for Xmas, otherwise I would like to order the bundle from Newegg that has the keyboard dock with the 32gb. I hope it will still be available then.

I have 9 year old twins that want to play games and watch netflix . I'd like to be able to spend under $120 each to get them some sort of wi-fi tablet that will let me download and support flash.

I have an android phone and love it, so would like to get an android platform. Don't mind downloading movies to a card to put in it. Have seen a lot of chinese websites offering "android" tablets for $60 or so, but am thinking its not the android market I'm used to, even though some are labeled "google".

There is one from WM for $108 a Velocity Micro Cruz . Anyone seen it?

Can't afford to go the Kindle Fire route as need two of them.

I am SO not a tech person, but am really, REALLY getting tired of them sneaking off with my phone.

Please help!

My tip to anyone looking to get a "cheap" Android tablet...Don't Do It! They are really not worth it. Most have resistive touch screens which will drive you Crazy! They are horrible! I can not recommend anyone to get a "tablet" that is below a Nook Color or Kindle Fire price range. Unless there is another HP TouchPad like fire sale on another tablet you will not find one under $200 that is worth it at all. If your looking for one for more money I would go with the ASUS Transformer. Oh course if you want top of the line go all out for an iPad. If you absolutely can't afford a Color or Fire keep checking the Apple Refurb store online because they often have last gen iPod Touches on sale this time of year for around $150 or less. Of course that is all IMHO. Personally I have an iPhone and a TouchPad and my DS11 has an iPod Touch and we couldn't be happier. :)

Picked up the color nook for 199 at walmart. Still hoping to get it cheaper bf, but I know I have one. The deciding factor my daughter 11 gave me was the sd factor in the nook that the kindle fire doesn't have.

Yes that is what sold me on my original Nook also :)

Help me out here guys.... have not had much of a chance to really dig in and look at the pros/cons of the Ipad vs Android vs Windows tablets. I know that the Ipad seems to be the tablet of choice of many but the cost is restrictive for many. In my case, I have a windows7 based laptop at work and a windows xp desktop at home that communicate between each other very well. I also have an android phone. I can review the (3) email accounts that I have (2) pop3 and (1) exchange) from the phone. I also use gotomypc to access my work laptop from home. I want to be able to do the same with a tablet,of which I assume an android based or windows based tab would do easily. My question is can you do the same with an Ipad? I think I would prefer the Ipad myself after seeing all of the reviews. I also have picked up on (after reading here) a concern about the Ipad not accessing Netflix well. Or is there really an issue?

What do you guys think?

Help me out here guys.... have not had much of a chance to really dig in and look at the pros/cons of the Ipad vs Android vs Windows tablets. I know that the Ipad seems to be the tablet of choice of many but the cost is restrictive for many. In my case, I have a windows7 based laptop at work and a windows xp desktop at home that communicate between each other very well. I also have an android phone. I can review the (3) email accounts that I have (2) pop3 and (1) exchange) from the phone. I also use gotomypc to access my work laptop from home. I want to be able to do the same with a tablet,of which I assume an android based or windows based tab would do easily. My question is can you do the same with an Ipad? I think I would prefer the Ipad myself after seeing all of the reviews. I also have picked up on (after reading here) a concern about the Ipad not accessing Netflix well. Or is there really an issue?

What do you guys think?

I have no problem using Netflix on my iPAD 2.

I think I may go this route:

http://www.merimobiles.com/Ainol_NOVO_7_Android_2_3_8GB_1_5GHz_CPU_Dual_Camer_p/meri0723.htm

I know its almost the same price as a nook or kindle, but that 60 difference each adds up, plus i'm comfortable with the android platform. Ipads are out since I live in Deliverance.

Edited by momee2twins

I have a desktop, laptop, windows 7 phone and an ipad 2. I am all over the place with platforms. I have never had an issue with playing netflix on my ipad. I have 4.5 year olf twins who have basically taken over my ipad. They play games, watch netflix, they have it all down. I'm looking for a cheaper version that can get free game apps and netflix for them so I can have my ipad back!

I flew today. Before I left home, I uploaded my itinerary and started to sync the kindle up to all the papers and magazines I subscribe to via Calibre. I finished syncing at the airport while 'thumbing through' the LA Times and the Boston Globe. Once I boarded the plane, I opened my laptop to do a couple hours of work. All the time, this guy is playing Missle Command on a tablet...without a trackball...lol. I kept sneaking a glance to see if it was an iPad or an Android. When he finally powered it off, there was an apple on the sleeve, so...iPad I guess. I fly a lot and see a lot of apples in the aisles. Most are playing media or games.

I guess you *can* work on an iPad so long as there is not too much typing and your work only involves apps for the iPad, but not a go for me. I'm going to content myself with a laptop and kindle until next year when Asus introduces a Win8 transformer.

We've had this kindle since day 1 (it's the $79 model because I hate fingerprints). Wife is warm to it and my kids do not like it at all. Oldest has a droid 2 and is waiting for something special, but the Fire is attractive to #2 and Mom.

I could be coaxed to do a nook or even a $200 ideapad or some other inexpensive but high quality android tab since I have $0 in my kindle library. But I suspect Fire+Prime will be the best bang in portable entertainment.

I think, go2girl, you might also be

Help! I'm drooling over the tablets, but am not sure there is one that will support everything I want. I would like a tablet that has a good web browser, can use the Kindle reader, can use Excel (not google docs, actual Excel), and can use all the fun aps. Does such a thing exist?

I'd appreciate some advice. My daughter, 11, wants a nook touch or kindle touch...both are now $99. Any advice on which is a better choice? I have amazon prime, so I could take advantage of the kindle library...

Also starting today you can "borrow" books from Amazon with Amazon Prime. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me cuz I have the Kindle app and not an actual Kindle.