Official Black Friday LAPTOP & NETBOOK Discussion Thread

Brad

lthanks everyone for your help. i was going to buy the gateway that is at best buy on sale sale now for 450.00 when i looked at costcos bf ad. they have an hp 6gb 650 hard drive w/ blue ray, microsoft home/student office included and when you buy through costco you get another 1 year warrenty. reg 850.00 on sale for 600.00. is this a good deal??? also because it is blu ray can you still play reg dvd on it and can you do dvd/cd rw on it????

thanks

Yes, blu-ray player also plays DVD-s and CD's as well as burns them. It just wont burn Blu-rays. It is dificult to find a laptop with a blu-ray player in it and a decent processor for under $600. If you can scoop it up, it is a decent deal. Adding office for free as well as an extra year of free warranty makes it that much of a better deal.

This has my stamp of approval FWIW.

Im looking for a laptop for my 10 year old daughter but it has to have a CD-Rom. Im the Black Friday Ads i cant tell if they have them or not. Help please

It's rare for a computer not to have one these days. If anything you should only wonder about netbooks but even most of those will have one.

So what do people think of the $179 laptop at Best Buy? I think that's the cheapest BF laptop (not netbook). I did some googling and one article said it doesn't have an HDMI port so you can't connect the laptop to your TV, but is there no other way to connect it to a TV?

i connect my netbook all the time to my hdtv. just buy a vga male to male cable. and stereo plug to output audio. my hdtv doesn't have stereo plug input, so we have computer speakers i output to that are nestled under my tv. works well. (this is for small hdtv - the new one we just bought for us has more plugs and includes a computer speaker input plug (3.5? mm - i suck at remembering sizes of plugs) - standard headphone plug size - so i use a male to male for that, too.

not hard at all to hook up - actually, i leave all that hooked up on tv, just change input source when i hook up netbook. (oh yeah, get yourself a wireless mouse/keyboard if you doln't have one) that makes it LOVELY for computer access in bed. i love my huge oversized 'monitor'. (i love how large i can make the pdf scans look! *grin*)

So is it worth the $220 to purchase the 6gb one from Best Buy versus the 4gb? both HP's - OR is it better to get the 8gb Asus one?

Again, not even sure if I'll be able to get in the door to get these.

I'm looking for a laptop for a college bound student. (Ole Miss)

Thanks in advance!

If you are looking for a gaming system for a teen and they are dying for an Alienware, check out Newegg and delloutlet.com for some sweet deals. Yesterday on delloutlet.com I snagged a "scratch and dent" Alienware m15x (they stopped making these at the beginning of this year, but like the screen size) for $906 shipped. It was $1129 but they had a 25% off coupon code on all refurbished Alienwares. Deal of the century for me!!!

Intel i7 720M 1.6Mhz Quad Core Processor

500GB Hard Drive

8GB RAM

NVIDIA 260M

1080p screen

Blue Ray 4x

9c battery

HDTV tuner thingy

Bluetooth

1 year warranty

Today they had a i5 processor for $829, but I couldn't find any coupon codes. Also ebay has some factory refurbished that still have some warranty left and newegg had some okay prices.

No real need for most people to pay as much as the $650 + tax one as it is not that much of an improvement. If you are going to fight for those, get the 4gb one there.

As an idea though, maybe look at this one here:

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-a53e-xt3-15-6-notebook-intel-core-i5-2410m-2-3ghz-6gb-ddr3-memory/225447661.html for $530, or this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152290 for $600.

These you can get for certain & probably has free shipping, and no tax.

So is it worth the $220 to purchase the 6gb one from Best Buy versus the 4gb? both HP's - OR is it better to get the 8gb Asus one?

Again, not even sure if I'll be able to get in the door to get these.

I'm looking for a laptop for a college bound student. (Ole Miss)

Thanks in advance!

We are looking at different affordable laptops for our two kids 12 and 15 to share for homework and maybe at some point Facebook and light photo editing. I have a Toshiba with the i3 processor but don't really know how to compare processors. AAFES has an HP with an E450 processor, 4g ram and 320g hardrive and 15 inch screen for $279 on BF with no tax of course. Would this be a good computer for our needs and how does that processer compare to my i3? Would this be the best choice in the "around $300" pricerange on BF? Keep in mind that we will not be camping for days anywhere. :) Thanks for the info in advance.

The following is a review I have read, and is not my words as I have not had much time to research those exact models:

AMD Fusion E-450 or Intel i3 Ultra Low Voltage.

Here's what I have read so far:

AMD Fusion E-450 clocks at 1.65Ghz

i3 ULV is around 1.3Ghz or 1.3 Ghz (not fully clear on that.

the i3 supports DDR3 at 800 Mhz whereas the AMD Fusion E-450 supports DDR3 at 1333 Mhz

AMD Fusion E-450 includes Radeon HD 6320 GPU with 600MHz clock where as the i3 ULV offers intel's HD video.

As a sidebar, battery life is certainly important. It appears the AMD Fusion based notebook/netbook offers longer batterylife. Lightweight is also an important factor.

On paper, from those perspectives, AMD seems to be a superior CPU.

No real need for most people to pay as much as the $650 + tax one as it is not that much of an improvement. If you are going to fight for those, get the 4gb one there.

As an idea though, maybe look at this one here:

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-a53e-xt3-15-6-notebook-intel-core-i5-2410m-2-3ghz-6gb-ddr3-memory/225447661.html for $530, or this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152290 for $600.

These you can get for certain & probably has free shipping, and no tax.

Thanks - I"d much rather not fight for them!

Im looking for a laptop for my 10 year old daughter but it has to have a CD-Rom. Im the Black Friday Ads i cant tell if they have them or not. Help please

It's rare for a computer not to have one these days. If anything you should only wonder about netbooks but even most of those will have one.

Actually -- tehlilone is partially correct.

I know of no Netbooks that have a CD-rom. For instance, the ENTIRE lineup of Netbooks at Newegg.com lack a CD or DVD drive. The lack of extras is part of what makes them Netbooks (and allows them to be so light/small/slim/power-sipping devices).

Fortunately, there are plenty of external USB drives available starting at $29.99: http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=420&Tpk=external%20dvd%20drive%7cdvd%20drive%7cexternal%20dvd

If you want the CD drive to be built-in, then you'll want to look at laptops exclusively.

ok still cannot decide on which computer to get for my college daughter. i am looking at the hp intel pentium for 349.00 at office depot. can someone tell me is which is better a intel pentium or intel core i3/i5??? and if someone could do a breakdown on which processors that are out there on the computers for black friday, which one would you rate first to which one would rate last. that would help me sooooo much cause i have no clue on what is what! lol Thanks so much

The best processor keeps changing, but you are best chosing the best processor you can get for the same price. Attached is a listing of about which processors are equal on each manufacturer, but even as it says, mobile processors are ever changing. Right now, i7>i5>i3 second gen>i3 first generation>pentium>celeron for intel, and for AMD, FX>x6>x4>x3>x2 with the new "A" series processors thrown in. According to Anandtech, the "A3850 is approximately equal to a second generation i3 2500."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3052-5.html

Often you will find if you are web surfing it almost does not matter if you are using a $500 processor, or a $50 one. Often also for the same $ you will find a lower speed processor of one company and a high speed one of the other company. In the current setup, you often get a more powerful AMD processor at a given price point.

My son wants a laptop for gaming with dedicated graphics video memory such as NVIDIA 512MB or 1GB.

Does anyone know if any of the laptops offered on Black Friday have dedicated video memory, or of laptops that are good for gaming? Thanks.

Help help help! I'm torn between two laptops and don't know what to do. I've found out that the 299 laptop (samsung) at Best Buy is going to be online tonight. But, I'm still kinda waiting to see if Dell will have any last minute deals. The samsung has what I'm looking for EXCEPT an hdmi output (or input, lol, not sure!) and not sure on the dell's whatsoever, I'm looking in the outlet and they have M5030 and N5030 in my price range but they don't have number pads on the keyboard and don't say at all about hdmi. If I were to purchase the samsung, is there such a thing as an adapter that I could hook into hdmi? I'm so torn on if I should wait for a dell deal or scoop up the samsung if I have the opportunity? If I wait for the dell deal, the samsung will be gone! Ugh.

I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE ~ I Need To Get A New Laptop On Friday... I Want To Get The "Best Bang For My Buck" And I Would Like To Spend Less Then $300.00 ~ I Will Only Be Using It For The Internet, Some Bookkeeping And A Little Bit Of Photo Editing. I'm So Clueless When It Comes To Computers... All I Know Is How To Use Them! ~ So Can Someone Please Help Me In Determining Which Of The Laptops On Sale Would Be A Good Choice For Me. Again I Would Like To Spend No More Then $300.00