Black Friday Comparison Charts - Tell Us What You Think!

stationchief

YET ANOTHER UPDATE ---->

All charts should now be completely up to date with every ad available, except Video Games + Accessories. That one is still missing the Kmart ad and we're working on that one right now.

Also, for those wanting to know info about the DVDs and Blu-rays on sale for BF, I have a question. I made a condensed down version of jaymacfla's DVD and Bu-ray charts. Do you folks like the condensed down chart for ease of use and not so much info, or his original detailed chart that has every DVD and Blu-ray individually listed for price matching? I know most stores' selections will vary by location, but it may still come in handy. I saved jaymacfla's original detailed one so I can put it back if folks want that one instead. Chime in and lemme know.

Edited by stationchief

I grinned ear to ear when she mentioned, and even demonstrated, the charts site. It's gone global! And congrats to amylm69 for having your chart featured :D

And hey, if that guy from the 'other' BF site can show his face, why not Brad? Wait... maybe that WAS Brad? :gdparanoid:

Just noticed, the 55" samsung LED tv at Best Buy is listed at 240hz in the chart. It is actually a 120hz.

I checked the Samsung website because the 6003 is a "special" TV for Black Friday went by the 6000 series which says its 240hz. I sent an email to Samsung and they said same thing. I guess we will have to see whats on the actual box.:)

I checked the Samsung website because the 6003 is a "special" TV for Black Friday went by the 6000 series which says its 240hz. I sent an email to Samsung and they said same thing. I guess we will have to see whats on the actual box.:)

The ad does say 120Hz. It looks like this is another case of typical Best Buy exclusive item numbers for BF.

after the hassle with hhgregg yesterday I would like to warn you ALL away from them for online BF shopping. Price kept changing while I was processing checkout.

And if you really REALLY love the hassle of mail-in rebates, I recommend hhgregg for your BF shopping. Another thing I noticed while doing the charts for that particular store. Just so you're not too surprised when ya get to the front of the line.

AND NOW THE FINAL UPDATE :( --->

I just made the final update to the charts adjusting a few of the ad listings as well as added prices and other items that were just released as online only. I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving and a very safe and profitable Black Friday. Go support our economy!

Well, the charts pretty much told y'all everything there is to know about the hot Black Friday items that were available this year. Now it's your turn to tell me something!

Lemme know what you thought about the charts and any of their improvements this year. What did you like? What didn't you like? Anything you'd like to see next year? Improvements? Concerns? Helpful remarks? Sarcastic comments?

Oh, and you can still view the 2011 charts here: blackfridaycharts.com, and the 2010 charts from last year here: blackfriday.thestationchief.com/2010

I think for the bluray players under WiFi we should have yes, no and ready as options. That seems like a question that popped up a few times in the webcasts. Not sure if it'd be worth it for non Doorbusters to put date sale starts. For example Walgreens and CVS had sales starting Thursday and BJ's had online only stuff since Wednesday, but it could just clutter charts too.

I'd suggest overhauling the design and try to show all the charts without the horizontal scrolling (vertical scrolling is fine of course), especially for those with smaller monitors or browsing on tablets. And increase the font size so things are easier to read.

I noticed that on a lot of the columns, the header label was wider than any of the actual data in the chart, so to save width, maybe have the labels at the top of the charts (at least for columns where the data is just a few characters - yes/no, a single number, etc...) shown vertically at a 90 degree angle so it's tall, not wide.

I agree with Brad's suggestions, particularly on trying to minimize the need for horizontal scrolling (though increasing the font size would make that more difficult).

On vertical scrolling, is it possible to make the column headers stay in place (visible) while the table rows scroll below (like freezing title rows in Excel)?

A specific recommendation regarding the cameras list, which I developed: after putting in the "Storage" column to show what memory cards they take, I have decided that this info is not necessary or worth the effort to fill in. I suggest removing it next year.

On the GPS table, it would be good to have a separate column indicating whether the unit comes with "Lifetime Map Updates".

A comment on both the main Gottadeal item lists and the tables: I put "online only" items into the cameras list even though they were not in the main GottaDeal lists. I would like to see these items in the main GottaDeal lists (with a symbol indicating online only) so that they appear along with other items in the shopping list and comparison tables while I am doing research on items to purchase.

On sorting, it would be nice to be able to "Sort by <column name>, then by <column name>, (and maybe a third column).

Finally, as an editor of one of the (longer) tables, it would be very good to be able to sort the table *during the edit process* by any column. This would facilitiate copying information from one row to another for identical items or to check for consistency and errors, which are very cumbersome without the ability to sort the table during editing.

Edited by mcwalker

Thanx for all the input, folks! I'm taking all these ideas into consideration for next year. Since I'm a 'coding nerd' and not necessarily a 'multimedia guru' I'm not very good at designing something that's visually appealing. Therefore I need all the help I can get. Or maybe I'll just let one of Brad's fancy-schmancy web designers have a go at it ;)

Keep the ideas and comments coming! :yup:

They were a huge help! I really appreciated how well designed the printable charts were- super easy to read!

One thing I would like to see (and it may be a total PITA) is a way to sort by column header. Then you could select the wifi only Blu-rays or only DSLR cameras, etc.

The columns are sortable. Just need to click in the column header for it (and even sorts ascending or descending).