Secret Santa 2011 Official Discussion Thread

eve

i'll get you guys all hooked up......... be patient though ;) i've got other stuff on my plate so im checking that email n working on it not as fast as usual, but will reply to everyone...

as for likes, some people only put a few words to no words (basically just happy with whatever you ss gives)

and some put lots of ideas (to give ss a broad selection to go by)

and some put a few specific likes (helping ss but not as general)

think about this.... its going to be in the $10 range (unless you get a ss that is really good at deals :D), so it wont be a team jacket or kindle lol

think about when you buy something for a friend/ family, what do you expect them to tell you for likes, now put yourself there, what do u think u need to tell a stranger that wants to give you a give???

some ss will even go through your posts to bet a better idea of who u r or look up your amazon wish list.

(to give you an idea- me, when i did it, i sent something along the lines of, name & addy, like reading-esp. christian fiction (am a member of paperbackswap-eve252) like green, any n all flowers, am a vegetarian, no kiddos or allergies, please no candles, like Godiva chocolate and Mambas- basically i gave some details about what i like n what i really didnt want, but i wasn't too picky, i enjoyed what ever i was sent)

in the end its whatever the ss wants to send you (over the $min)

it may or may not be on your list,

no, i do not want peeps to send Gift Cards!!!!!!!!!! real gifts!!!!!!!!!!!! unless it was listed in the likes

here 2009 thread http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?151981-*-Official-Holiday-Exchanges-Thread-SEND-ME-DC-S-PLS* to get an idea

Edited by eve

I've finally finished my info list and submitted it :D Here is most of it, hope it's a decent example.

2. foods (coffee, tea and cocoa; chocolate; choco covered coffee beans, raisins, peanuts and pretzels)

3. reading (Harry Potter, Little House series

4. watching movies (hard to say what I like; I have a small handful I watch over and over)

5. cooking (Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Japanese, with a Crock Pot, baking, pizza, pastas)

6. gift sets sold only during the holidays (and from Figi's and Swiss Colony)

7. dining out (Boston Market, Burger King, Subway, Pizza Hut, Arby's)

8. candy (m&ms, Ferrero Rocher, Twizzlers red, any chocolate)

9. scents (apple cinnamon, pine, lavender, vanilla)

10. big warm fuzzy blankets

Dislikes: the color pink, most girly stuff (I'm not into makeup or jewelry and don't get my nails done) and seafood

10 Things I'd like to get:

1. a bigger crock pot (current one is 5qt. I think)

2. fuzzy lined leather moccasin slippers (indoor/outdoor)

3. a new coffee mug (kinda picky on this)

4. something to juice lemons with

5. a nice convection toaster oven

6. a great big wok

7. books: Little Women (unabridged) and the two sequels (Little Men, Jo's Boys), Harry Potter

(1-5, hardcover), Little House series (looking to get the Caroline years right now)

8. movies: Little Women (w/Susan Sarandon), Gettysburg, The Ten Commandments, Harry Potter (all 8 of them)

9. new kitchen utensils

10. an all in 1 grill/press with changable plates

Other tidbits: 1. I'm OK with getting gift cards.

2. I don't have a Christmas tree this year (well, a big one anyway).

3. Ask if I'd like something specific instead of guessing if you need to... might take

the surprise out of it a bit but I'm always appreciative of the efforts of my SS and Ornament

people. :D

I have been looking forward to this all year long! I'm in!

I would like to offer a word of advice for those who wish to participate in the exchanges....actually read what your recipient likes/dislikes. Don't just shove stuff in a box that you are trying to get rid of. Put a little thought in to it. And if you are stumped as to what to get them, you can always ask for more info! Also, wrap the gift(s)! For some, it is the only real gift they get to open at Christmas.

I've finally finished my info list and submitted it :D Here is most of it, hope it's a decent example.

2. foods (coffee, tea and cocoa; chocolate; choco covered coffee beans, raisins, peanuts and pretzels)

4. watching movies (hard to say what I like; I have a small handful I watch over and over)

5. cooking (Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Japanese, with a Crock Pot, baking, pizza, pastas)

Dislikes: the color pink, most girly stuff (I'm not into makeup or jewelry and don't get my nails done) and seafood

6. a great big wok

7. books: Little Women (unabridged) and the two sequels (Little Men, Jo's Boys), Harry Potter

(1-5, hardcover), Little House series (looking to get the Caroline years right now)

8. movies: Little Women (w/Susan Sarandon), Gettysburg, The Ten Commandments, Harry Potter (all 8 of them)

9. new kitchen utensils

3. Ask if I'd like something specific instead of guessing if you need to... might take

the surprise out of it a bit but I'm always appreciative of the efforts of my SS and Ornament

Aren't most of these significantly above the exchange $? lol

You can spend whatever you want as long as you spend $10 BEFORE shipping. And if you are a great bargain hunter, you can find some of that stuff for fairly cheap.

I know. I'm just teasing the poster as I've never seen any one post that they received anything so large as a convection toaster oven, grill press, wok, etc. lol

6. a great big wok

9. new kitchen utensils

Aren't most of these significantly above the exchange $? lol

true, true, lol............... but @ least there are options.............. who knows, someone might stumble on a deal on "a nice convection toaster oven" :) u get name at begining of nov. plenty of time to look for deals.

and heck, the person might be fine with spending more, who know?

thats an easy list imho though, a new book or movie, a coffee mug, candy, perhaps tea and cocoa; choco covered coffee beans

all on the list and would make a great gift, though missy, if u going to say u r picky about the mug u need to give more details.................

theres actually endless possibilities with that list, i see lots of items that could be found and not break the bank.

ok, everyone that emailed me should be signed up. I'll update again in a week or two :) hagda

i"m in!

heres my list nothing special

i eat wierd so wierd food is good anything but mushrooms i guess. gift cards welcome guessing mainly for walmart, i love patchouli ed hardy car air fresheners. i really need my own special stash of chocolate to keep just for me.would love to try bacon candy. in short i love anything wierd to eat and love anything like free sample cologne cause after the sample is gone normally i dont like the perfume anymore

i would love homemade goodness or course. would love a good homemade cayenne pepper fudge

What's your favorite color? mauves,pinks,melon,

Whats your favorite flower? carnation

What's your favorite candy? OMG! sour neon gummi worms 3 musketeers

What's your favorite movie? mamma mia,gone with the wind, thornbirds

What's your favorite author? any food network people. i dont have anne burells book yet

What's your favorite candle scent? pine,scandelwood,anyhing foodie related

What's your favorite vacation spot? london england

What's your favorite thing to collect? magnets

What's your favorite thing to do during your me time? do it yourself mani/pedi,try out new hairdos,new make up

Do you have kiddos? 2 grown boys

Are you married? no

dislikes: mushrooms,sports,ankle socks,colors green brown DRAB colors,

likes:♥ incense, body sprays:nothing too fragrant as it bothers my nose,allergy maybe,i would even like any free sample cologne,perfume,anything free is awesome

Edited by dealluvr

:) I have no doubt mine will be getting some editing. It is fun to post just because, isn't it?

I think your list is perfect. By seeing what you REALLY want, people can learn the things you like, and know how to shop for you. That is the whole point of you making a list like that. :)

I have a couple of questions. First, I understand that I might not have enough history here to participate but I joined before May 2011 so I hope I can. I have Ebay feedback so maybe that will boost my eligibility. My question is about the ornament exchange. Is there any criteria for the ornament you send? For example, do people ask for ornaments that compliment their themes on their trees? Or if you indicate no glass ornaments will someone honor that?

Also, what exactly is an elf? Does that mean that people get stiffed every year? If they do, is there a way to post who failed to send you a present so they can be "outed" for their bad conduct.

In the interests of full disclosure, I want to participate in the gift exchange, the ornament exchange and maybe as an elf, too.

You answer questions about likes and dislikes for the ornament exchange. If you say you want a particular ornament that's no fun who shops for you! But you can say your tree is a certain theme!

In the past I list what I collect and what I like. But your shopper should respect your dislikes too. So if you say no glass then you shouldn't get glass ornaments.

We all have things come up in life so we plan for elves in case something happens and someone can't fulfil their obligation. That is why the same people run it every year. But if you flaked last time you won't be allowed back in this year.