Walmart brings back layaway but NOT on Black Friday

speeddiva

My daughther went this morning, she was there at 8:45am to put on layaway an Ipad2, she had to wait until 9:00am. They had only one left in white 16gb (that was exactly the one that she wanted). She was the only one at the Layaway dept. at that time.

Just wanted to find out if anyone went to their local walmart and put anything on layaway today. I didn't know if any of you had any problems with the cashiers/customer service reps in the layaway depts. I was hoping to go at lunch and try to put a ds lite on layaway but I have a feeling that they may all be gone by then. Just wanted to read any others stories.

I went around 11 and the line was crazy! People were trying to layaway clothes and what not. They were very discouraged to hear its only for toys, electronics and Jewelry. I seen many people sorting through their cart for the small items that werent allowed on layaway also. Shelves are picked clean but they are restocking them. Good luck!!:eyepoppin

I went around 11 and the line was crazy! People were trying to layaway clothes and what not. They were very discouraged to hear its only for toys, electronics and Jewelry. I seen many people sorting through their cart for the small items that werent allowed on layaway also. Shelves are picked clean but they are restocking them. Good luck!!:eyepoppin

Welcome to GD, chrissylynn78 :)

Just wanted to find out if anyone went to their local walmart and put anything on layaway today. I didn't know if any of you had any problems with the cashiers/customer service reps in the layaway depts. I was hoping to go at lunch and try to put a ds lite on layaway but I have a feeling that they may all be gone by then. Just wanted to read any others stories.

I went! I put a few things on layaway and they accepted everything. I remember seeing another poster say that if the items were going to be on sale on BF, they wouldnt be able to go on. So, I guess Lets Rock Elmo and the LeapPad Explorer wont be on sale :tongue1: I got there around 10 am-ish, maybe a lil before; no lines. I was able to go right up to the register. I did think it was stupid how they made you pay the $5 fee in a seperate transaction. I also did a layway in jewelry (which is seperate). I found out from the jewelry lady that jewelry always has layaway.

We just got back from Walmart. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get everything I wanted but was very pleasantly surprised to find everything that I had planned on getting. They were not a bit busy, seems that the mad rush came this morning at the time we originally planned to go. Like another poster said, I found it strange that the lay away fee was a seperate transaction. We didn't pay $5 either, it was just over $4. Maybe we got some kind of seniors discount?

I've never done layaway before. I have a little understanding of how it works but was wondering what sorts of things others have put on layaway at walmart so far? I'm on the fence about doing the ipad 2. Waiting to see about some income I'm expecting before I decide. Also, I'm afraid I'll go overboard with toys this way. lol

I used to have several walmart layaways going from summer til xmas. I refuse to do it the way they are now. I will not pay a fee and the fact that every item has to be over 15.00 is ridiculous. I am already getting the stuff I need on amazon for less money. The are also limiting it to toys, electronics and jewelry. Too many limitations for me. I was also told if you cancel there is a 10.00 fee you lose on top of the 5.00 you paid. They are money hungry,.

I honestly do not mind paying the 5.00 layaway fee if it means that I can use layaway. I do wish that it was not so restrictive though. I have never cancelled a layaway so the 10.00 cancellation fee doesn't bother me.

I used to use their layaway all the time. I used it for birthdays and christmas. It was a great way to hide things. It is also a good way to get the popular items before the holiday season comes into full swing.

I went Tuesday to put a few things on layaway and 2/3 of the stuff I wanted to put on layaway was gone. I did manage to get the Little tikes basketball goal for my daughter and Mario Galaxy on layaway though. I am really hoping that if this does well, they will expand it to everything and bring layaway back permanently.

I've never done layaway before. I have a little understanding of how it works but was wondering what sorts of things others have put on layaway at walmart so far? I'm on the fence about doing the ipad 2. Waiting to see about some income I'm expecting before I decide. Also, I'm afraid I'll go overboard with toys this way. lol

If the Ipad 2 is what you are worrying about you should look into getting a BestBuy credit card. If you spend over $250.00 you have 18 months to pay it off without any interest.

Edited by Kim3498

I used to have several walmart layaways going from summer til xmas. I refuse to do it the way they are now. I will not pay a fee and the fact that every item has to be over 15.00 is ridiculous. I am already getting the stuff I need on amazon for less money. The are also limiting it to toys, electronics and jewelry. Too many limitations for me. I was also told if you cancel there is a 10.00 fee you lose on top of the 5.00 you paid. They are money hungry,.

That is half the reason they stopped doing layaway. They had to much stuff sitting on layaway and never being picked up, items sitting on layaway to long, things sitting on layaway for a long periods of time and then taken off. Stores loose money and it messes up their inventory plus it takes up room in their stock room. It forces people to use layaway for its intended purpose.

If you are already getting stuff at Amazon then why complain about the layaway?

Sounds like a great deal for Walmart. They get people to buy more than they can afford. At the same time they will make millions if not billions in extra fees from customers.

Maybe I'm just a bit cynical. I just don't see the point, I think they are just targeting cash strapped families that can't manage their money. As a result many families will have a little less at christmas time. As far as hiding presents from the kids, you still have to pick them up before christmas and hide them for a short while so I don't see the benefit.

I'm suprised that a site so dedicated to saving money has so many eager to pay additional fees.

Sounds like a great deal for Walmart. They get people to buy more than they can afford. At the same time they will make millions if not billions in extra fees from customers.

Maybe I'm just a bit cynical. I just don't see the point, I think they are just targeting cash strapped families that can't manage their money. As a result many families will have a little less at christmas time. As far as hiding presents from the kids, you still have to pick them up before christmas and hide them for a short while so I don't see the benefit.

I'm suprised that a site so dedicated to saving money has so many eager to pay additional fees.

I'm sure your Mom told you, that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all..................this is one of those times!

Thank you for insulting all hardworking people that don't use credit cards but choose to pay over time to purchase things for their families. For many of us it has been a rough year with layoffs still, rising food prices and gas prices that are still higher than they need to be, many of us are on one income due to disability and other unexpected expenses that have depleted savings. I choose to use layaway to get my children each their one item for Christmas because I don't have to put it on a credit card and can still have it paid off by Christmas. Please explore this site more fully, you will see that we work to offer the best ideas for each person regardless of their income status. For some of us, layaway is a cost saving option!!

I'm sure your Mom told you, that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all..................this is one of those times!

I totally agree. Whilst I have never had to use Layaway and do NOT like the fee associated with it, I understand the necessity some people have for it and that ANY store would charge a small fee to avoid wasting their space to those with little intention of returning for items. It is a lot more favorable to pay a $5 fee instead of 26+% fees on a CC to make Christmas happen.

Sure some people overspend but intelligent people GUARANTEE their gifts by paying in increments they can afford. Just because some people cannot help themselves does not mean that everyone else should be penalized.

Really, LAYAWAY is the the cause of people over spending. How many folks have Bad Layaways on their Credit Reports? In the big scheme of things, Walmart probably loses money with layaways overall, or the potential for money, based on cancelled layaway rates and space costs. However, with the way the economy is right now, they are offering OPTIONS for families, who are struggling for WHATEVER reasons. If you want to vent, go join the OCCUPY WALLSTREET LAYAWAY Sittin.

LAYAWAY IS NOT. So outraged couldn't type right, lol

Really, LAYAWAY is the the cause of people over spending. How many folks have Bad Layaways on their Credit Reports? In the big scheme of things, Walmart probably loses money with layaways overall, or the potential for money, based on cancelled layaway rates and space costs. However, with the way the economy is right now, they are offering OPTIONS for families, who are struggling for WHATEVER reasons. If you want to vent, go join the OCCUPY WALLSTREET LAYAWAY Sittin.

Walmart said years ago when they done away with it, that oo many people would put large amounts in layaway and never come back and get them. Then the seasons change and the items that could have been sold were having to be marked way down. So I see merit in charging a cancellation fee. Makes the people that REALLY will NOT use it right, to think over their decisions. However, I do not understand why you can not put clothes and smaller toys in there, makes no sense to me. I used layaway when I was 20-22 years old (and I am now 35) and I have no need for it now, thank goodness!