*** Official HP Touchpad Price Drop Discussion & Deal Posting Thread ***

Brad

I am glad now I didn't buy one. I signed up for google alerts to get any articles on this. It appears that HP only made it after acquiring the WEBOS system. Now that it is discontinued, developers aren't making any more apps to go on it. My son first gave me a clue when I asked him if he wanted one. He said, where are you going to get apps for it?

Delivered today, using it now.

The start up time on this thing is ridiculously slow. The keyboard has nice big buttons that I am not used to yet but I feel like my iPhone has a more responsive keyboard.

When it shrinks webpages to fit the screen the quality of the image on the screen is not that good until I enlarge it.

I am making so many typos although this has autocorrect but argh this keyboard is not good. This is NOT a cheap computer replacement! Do not buy this with that hope. Web cruising, not a lot of typing, fine.

don't know if the hubs has downloaded apps yet.

EDIT: I must also add that closing an application is not very intuitive. I had to dive back into the instruction manual to figure it out.

Playing with it, you can see why it didn't sell. But for $98 bucks shipped (thanks HP for accepting my coupon! $98 bucks, after CA tax and CA recycling fee plus free shipping) I can't really complain. It's at the "toy" price.

I called my 23 yr old son right away and asked him if I should get one for my 11 yr old for his birthday or for both my 10 & 11 yr olds for Christmas and he said absolutely not and that my sons netbook that they use was better and they could do more on the netbook. I keep thinking about going to BB to check and he keeps telling me not to do it. He keeps insisting that they won't use it, after reading Cindy's review I am glad I listened to him. They use their netbook for games and they recently discovered facebook.

I am glad now I didn't buy one. I signed up for google alerts to get any articles on this. It appears that HP only made it after acquiring the WEBOS system. Now that it is discontinued, developers aren't making any more apps to go on it. My son first gave me a clue when I asked him if he wanted one. He said, where are you going to get apps for it?

This is true if you want it for the games and aps. If you want it for checking email, facebook, ebooks and surfing the web @ the price of $99 & $149, it is a cheaper alternative to a laptop. :gd_dollar

I just found out this week one of my daughter's professor's wants the class to purchase only the e-text book and bring their laptops to class :mad: I am not crazy about her having to take the laptop along with her other text books as well (she commutes and has 5 minutes between each class meaning she will have to lug around 3 text books, laptop & notebooks). The TP will be perfect for her to take. She can use that instead, smaller, lighter and much cheaper in the event it gets dropped, lost or stolen! So while the HP TP doesn't work for what you may want it for, it works for what others want it for... it is more a less what is good for you.. if it is good for you, it's a deal. If it isn't good for you, it's not a deal... I am glad I purchased it :D

I purchased one for each one of my kids (18, 23 & 24), and each one also has their own laptop. This is just an addition for them, not their "only".. so it works for us... I also got one for my husband, I will take that one with me when I go away for long weekends in place of taking my laptop. Again, to use for email, facebook and surf the web.. If someone were to steal it while I am out of my hotel room, I am only out $99 instead of $500!

I will have to give a $149 review since that is what I paid. I did the updates and I feel like mine is every bit as responsive as both my ipad and Dh's Iphone. The keyboard is large but I actually find it to be better than my ipad for typing. I do find myself using more shorthand on it for some reason. Website loading time was fast, and the kids get a kick out of "throwing" unused screens off the tablet. The set up of Facebook and linking my Kindle was fast and easy. And I like the setup of facebook alot. (HATE it on Iphone) The best part for me is that I can allow the kids to play it in public, car, house without going into panic mode when they walk with it across tile or feeling like I need to give a speech about being careful like I do with the ipad2, it took me WEEKS just to let them touch it :P

Cons would probally be that some of the game apps we have noticed do not respond to the screen rotation (you have to play them one way) and enlarged some of the games graphics are iffy but they do still play the same. But these are the free apps, so cannot complain too much.

I agree this is NOT a replacement to a laptop for someone who is taking classes, writing reports, typing long blogs (unless you get a keyboard for it) but for on the go web access, games on a flight, ect it was PERFECT and cheaper then even an Ipod Touch (actually cheaper than an Ipod nano :P )

I'd buy 4 more in a heartbeat (AT THIS PRICE)

Edited by mom2monkiesx3

I will have to give a $149 review since that is what I paid. I did the updates and I feel like mine is every bit as responsive as both my ipad and Dh's Iphone. The keyboard is large but I actually find it to be better than my ipad for typing. I do find myself using more shorthand on it for some reason. Website loading time was fast, and the kids get a kick out of "throwing" unused screens off the tablet. The set up of Facebook and linking my Kindle was fast and easy. And I like the setup of facebook alot. (HATE it on Iphone)

Cons would probally be that some of the game apps we have noticed do not respond to the screen rotation (you have to play them one way) and enlarged some of the games graphics are iffy but they do still play the same.

I agree this is NOT a replacement to a laptop for someone who is taking classes, writing reports, typing long blogs (unless you get a keyboard for it) but for on the go web access, games on a flight, ect it was PERFECT and cheaper then even an Ipod Touch (actually cheaper than an Ipod nano :P )

I'd buy 4 more in a heartbeat (AT THIS PRICE)

Did you get the 16 or 32, I was wondering if they do come up again which one is better. I didn't want to put alot of money into it

Neither one is "better" just one has more storage space. I'll have to play with it more in depth, loading apps, and seeing response time.

I feel overall, it can be much more snappier and responsive, but for $99 bucks, there really isn't much to complain about, except waiting for an eternity for the darn thing to turn on. It is definitely more comfortable to use (well kinda) when sitting on the couch. I don't have kids, so I can't use it as a "SHUSH ALREADY WATCH THIS" toy but I suspect it could work on husbands also.

Neither one is "better" just one has more storage space. I'll have to play with it more in depth, loading apps, and seeing response time.

I feel overall, it can be much more snappier and responsive, but for $99 bucks, there really isn't much to complain about, except waiting for an eternity for the darn thing to turn on. It is definitely more comfortable to use (well kinda) when sitting on the couch. I don't have kids, so I can't use it as a "SHUSH ALREADY WATCH THIS" toy but I suspect it could work on husbands also.

I guess better wasn't the best word, thinking how much storage is really needed....like how much can 16gb hold versus 32gb? LOL

The 32gb holds double what the 16gb holds.

;)

To put it simply. :tongue1:

On a more technical note, the 16GB will probably be enough for most people since there's only a limited number of apps produced for the WebOS. But remember it doesn't have any external storage like an SD card slot so everything, including all your pictures, music, movies, and books, goes on it's main drive. The 32GB would be handy if ya want to load up on media or perhaps in the near future when ya can root it and port Android to it.

To put it simply. :tongue1:

On a more technical note, the 16GB will probably be enough for most people since there's only a limited number of apps produced for the WebOS. But remember it doesn't have any external storage like an SD card slot so everything, including all your pictures, music, movies, and books, goes on it's main drive. The 32GB would be handy if ya want to load up on media or perhaps in the near future when ya can root it and port Android to it.

Thank you

Don't forget new touchpad owners, sign up for the Box app and you'll get 50gigs of external storage that you can access whenever you have an internet connection!

Got that loaded on both of my new tablets and they now sport 66, and 82 gigs while connected!

-Mike

Don't forget new touchpad owners, sign up for the Box app and you'll get 50gigs of external storage that you can access whenever you have an internet connection!

Got that loaded on both of my new tablets and they now sport 66, and 82 gigs while connected!

-Mike

I forgot about the 50 GB of cloud storage offer. It's nice to have but, IMHO, sort of defeats the purpose of havin' all your apps and media on the go if ya always gotta be connected to the internet to access 'em. Nice to have but not so nice when you're not inside a wifi hotspot.

Just outta curiosity I took a glance over at eBay. Believe it or not, there's people selling a CHANCE to win an HP Touchpad. A few folks are sayin' if ya win their auction they'll notify you the moment they see the touchpads go back online for $99. Oh, and here's Mr. 'Buy My Drawing Of An HP Touchpad' mentioned earlier. His auction is now at $99,900.00!

Oh, what has this madness become. :no:

-Mike

Thank you :)

OK I 'll admit I don't watch much (any) cable TV, besides baseball, Not even news so I had to google who was on the HP touchpad commercial because I liked her voice. LMAO that its a Glee girl, I guess if I was a normal american person I probally would have known that :P

Edited by mom2monkiesx3

Looks like HP took down the 'Notify Me' option from their HP Touchpad part of their website due to everyone wanting to be notified. Instead, they put up an updated FAQs by Mark Budgell: TheNextBench - Answering Your Questions…Part 2. Also, as a reminder, don't forget to follow Bryna Corcoran @BrynaAtHP on twitter for the most update info on HP Touchpad availability. Both are sayin' something might be brewing soon (in the next few days whether or not they'll have more available) but no details yet.

We felt the HP Touchpad earthquake. Better get ready for the aftershock. :gdparanoid:

Just got the email form Hp...

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in the HP TouchPad and webOS. The overwhelming demand for this product in recent days has made it difficult to fulfill your request at the present time, and we are working to make more available as soon as possible. While we do not yet have specific details, we know it will be at least a few weeks before we have a limited quantity available again. We will keep you informed as we have more specifics that we can communicate, and we encourage you to join the conversation here for the latest information.

In light of this and other recent HP news, we want you to know that we remain committed to you. We will continue to honor our warranties now and in the future. We will continue delivering products that make a difference in your life and we will continue to provide the best possible service to you every day.

We are grateful for your patience and loyalty and to show our gratitude, we are offering you an exclusive one-time opportunity to save an additional amount on all of our products, valid through the end of the day tomorrow, Wednesday, August 31, 2011. You'll save 25% off all printers, ink, HP accessories, and PCs starting at or above $599. To take advantage of this offer, use your unique coupon code 412179098 at checkout, and for more information on the details of this offer, please look at the bottom of this email.

Sincerely,

hpdirect.com ""

Here's a reply that I got from HP, I asked them if they expected to have any more TouchPads for sale in the future (I did not have an order declined) -

Thank you for contacting HP Home & Home Office Sales Center.

It is good to know that you are interested in getting the HP TouchPad and I understand your frustration in getting some of your orders declined.

I completely understand your desire to get the HP TouchPad in an unbelievably low price. However, we no longer have them in stock and we are not yet sure if we will still be having them available soon. My sincere apology for all the inconvenience this may have caused you. For all Touchpad information, including Touchpad product availability, please check on the link below.

www.hp.com/go/touchpad-availability

The web page is updated with the most up to date information. Signing up for email alerts has been stopped. Please keep tracking online for product availability.

I'm sorry for the delayed response. Please don't hesitate to reply to this message if there is anything else that we can do for you. For your convenience, you may also call the HP Home & Home Office Sales Center directly at 1-888-222-0029 between 7:00 AM - 2:00 AM EST, seven days a week, and we will be delighted to be of service.

If portability is the reason why you wanted to get an HP TouchPad, our new line HP Mini offers an incredible computing experience while you are on the move. It is ultra-light in weight but heavyweight in features and performance. It is perfect for someone who wants to have a portable computer without compromising speed and performance. I have attached the link below for your reference to more exciting information about our HP Mini:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Mini&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/lateralnav_mini_notebooks

When you are ready to make the purchase, you may conveniently follow the link above to place the order online or you may place the order over the phone by calling 1-888-222-0029. A Sales Representative will be able to assist you with your order placement and answer any remaining questions that you have. Their hours of operation are between 7:00 AM - 2:00 AM EST, seven days a week.

Let me extend my immense appreciation for choosing to shop in our store for HP products. We are looking forward to your purchase and bank on the hope that you will continue to recommend HP to your family and friends.

Before I forget, would you like to be updated with what the very latest here at HP Home & Home Office? Our E-newsletter will provide you with exclusive information on new products, price drops, coupons and other promotions. For you to subscribe, please refer to this URL (subscription is free):

www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/newsletter.do?destPage=news_sub

Thank you for your interest in the HP Home and Home Office Store. We value your business and support. Our goal is to continue bringing you quality products and solutions.

Regards,

Can someone please give me the email address to HP. I signed up for the email notification and have not heard anything from them.

Found this on HP next bench

Will the notification/alert emails go out all at once so everyone has a fair shot?

All those who requested notification have been notified today that more are coming in the future, and will be notified again when more specifics are known.

Q: How does HP plan to address disappointed customers?

All those who requested notification have received a one-time exclusive offer along with their email as our thanks for their patience and loyalty throughout this situation.

Can someone please give me the email address to HP. I signed up for the email notification and have not heard anything from them.

Will the notification/alert emails go out all at once so everyone has a fair shot?

All those who requested notification have been notified today that more are coming in the future, and will be notified again when more specifics are known.

All those who requested notification have received a one-time exclusive offer along with their email as our thanks for their patience and loyalty throughout this situation.

I completely understand your desire to get the HP TouchPad in an unbelievably low price. However, we no longer have them in stock and we are not yet sure if we will still be having them available soon. My sincere apology for all the inconvenience this may have caused you. For all Touchpad information, including Touchpad product availability, please check on the link below.

www.hp.com/go/touchpad-availability

The web page is updated with the most up to date information. Signing up for email alerts has been stopped. Please keep tracking online for product availability.

Have you checked your Email Spam folder? That is where most of my HP emails go, as did the notification they sent out yesterday/today.

hth

Just outta curiosity I took a glance over at eBay. Believe it or not, there's people selling a CHANCE to win an HP Touchpad. A few folks are sayin' if ya win their auction they'll notify you the moment they see the touchpads go back online for $99. Oh, and here's Mr. 'Buy My Drawing Of An HP Touchpad' mentioned earlier. His auction is now at $99,900.00!

Oh, what has this madness become. :no:

so not right!! and people must be crazy to bid on that too.. I am sorry to say..

Got the HP email myself. Also, this appeared today on Mark Budgell's blog:

I finally have some solid news to share about TouchPad availability.

Before I share, let me first say thank you for enthusiasm for this product. Since we announced the price drop, the number of inquiries about the product and the speed at which it disappeared from inventory has been stunning. I think it’s safe to say we were pleasantly surprised by the response.

Despite announcing an end to manufacturing webOS hardware, we have decided to produce one last run of TouchPads to meet unfulfilled demand. We don’t know exactly when these units will be available or how many we’ll get, and we can’t promise we’ll have enough for everyone. We do know that it will be at least a few weeks before you can purchase. See more information in the updated FAQs below.

Bryna (@BrynaatHP) and I (@MarkatHP) will update you here and on Twitter on the status of the new batch of systems. Please continue to share your thoughts and questions with us. Although we can’t respond to every one directly, we are sharing your feedback with teams inside HP.

Please note that many of the questions below address concern about orders previously placed on our HP Home & Home Office and HP Small & Medium Business online stores. It’s important to note that these are separate stores with slightly different procedures. We also know that we’re sparse on information about availability outside the US. We will share updates on regional availability as the information comes in.

And according to his twitter page at MarkAtHP, another 'encore' run of the Touchpads will be on it's way in a few weeks. No word yet if it's gonna have the same pricing as before, $99 and $149 respectively.

If y'all thought this last bit of craziness was bad, buckle up for the aftershock, people. :gdparanoid: