Whats you favorite holiday Movie?

happysunshine28

No Contest: A Christmas Carol. In the original B&W.

I have a DVD of a color version that was done in 1984 with George C. Scott as Scrooge, and I have the Muppets Christmas Carol on VHS, but I'm still looking for a DVDs of the really old B&W versions.

I also have the cassettes of Patrick Stewart narrating A Christmas Carol.

No Contest: A Christmas Carol. In the original B&W.

This one is my husband's favorite. I, however, don't have just one that I love the most. So, we always watch Ntl Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, The Christmas Story (by myself, since no one else in my family likes it), Miracle on 34th Street, and A Charlie Brown Christmas :holiday04

My favorite is Miracle on 34th Street (the original 1947 version). :holiday05

Mine too! But I have never seen the original version, though. I have the 1994 version, with Mara Wilson as Susan. But now my VCR is broken... I'll try to download it online and burn a DVD, so that I can start my Xmas tradition: Miracle on 34th Street, Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas, A Christmas Carol... Every year, when November comes, I start watching such movies every day!

PS: I am soooo happy that we have a holiday discussion forum!!!! People down here in Brazil just don't even talk about such things, it's kinda ridiculous here for an adult to watch xmas movies, and like them so much!! Very few people decorate their houses because they have fun doing it, they just do it because everybody does, or because their children keep asking them to. That's one more thing that adds to my theory that I was born here, but I am just not brazilian in spirit... sorry for the outburst... it's just that I feel homesick in my own country.:hert:

That's one more thing that adds to my theory that I was born here, but I am just not brazilian in spirit... sorry for the outburst... it's just that I feel homesick in my own country.:hert:

I know that different countries celebrate Christmas differently...

Disneytati -- What are Brazilian Christmas traditions, foods, presents(?), Santa, carols, etc. I'm sure that other Gottadealers would find it interesting too.

I know that different countries celebrate Christmas differently...

Disneytati -- What are Brazilian Christmas traditions, foods, presents(?), Santa, carols, etc. I'm sure that other Gottadealers would find it interesting too.

The traditions are the same, as most of them are "imported" from Europe and the US. We have the same carols, translated to Portuguese. Food is different, as it's high summer here, usually boiling hot (40°C!!!). That's what we serve in my house:

rice

"farofa" (roasted flour with butter and sausages)

ham (I have no idea if it's similar to yours, but ours is decorated with peaches in syrup and cherries)

turkey (sometimes)

slaw (steamed potatoes and carrots with mayonnaise) or "salpicão" (grated carrots, chicken, ham, peas with mayonnaise)

cheese (it's a spicy one that comes in a red can, in the shape of a ball)codfish snacks (smashed codfish with smashed potatoes, get this dough and make balls, then fry)

fruit salad

ice-cream

"rabanadas" (slices of bread dunked in milk,then in beaten eggs and fried, then passed on sugar with cinnamon)

homemade Christmas cake (family recipe that nowadays I am the only one who can make, as my grandma died and my mom never wanted to learn)

"panetone" (something between cake and bread, with nuts, raisins and fruits inside)

Sangria and Coke to drink

Xmas trees are the same, but the smaller ones, as we rarelly have big houses here. We have the same decorations you have but with not as much options as you guys have up there. No outdoors decorations either, only lights on balconies and around window frames. Some streets have xmas light competitions among apartment buildings.

Santa is exactly the same, they tried to create a new outfit for him (poor guys at the malls, they usually melt in those heavy winter suits!!!), like a topical/surfer/beach one, but people didn't like it. Kids didn't believe him that much... LOL So, they went back to the traditional one, even in the boiling hot brazilian summer!!!!

I love Christmas. I would really like to spend Xmas up there once, as my approach to it is very similar to yours. People here don't enjoy holidays the same way you guys do, so it sounds kinda childish here the way I watch xmas movies, listen to xmas songs... I just don't fit, you know. This is the biggest issue in my life, I am brazilian but don't really like it. My tastes are very similar to yours, and I feel more at home when I am up there. I am trying to move up there next year. Maybe I'll get to see snow for the first time!!!!

I also have several, mostly the ones already stated:

Original 1947 Miracle on 34th Street with Natalie Wood

Scrooge with Allistair Simm (released as A Chr-stmas Carol in US)

It's a Wonderful Life

Holiday Inn

and

White Chr-stmas

I also really enjoy the Rankin/Bass Claymation specials. I never catch the one about The Little Drummer Boy anymore. I wonder if ABC Family will air it.