Christmas Eve Traditions

Tracy72

We always go to my husband's grandparent's house but his grandmother has just been put in a nursing home (kinda sad) so I'm not sure how all that will play out now. Then we go home and the kids get to open 1 gift. It's always pj's and they know that even before they open them but they still love it.

We always watch Christmas movies, then read the REAL Christmas story, and listen to Christmas music while we open gifts. Last year we started something new and I hope we keep doing it. After opening presents, we took the kids to a Living Nativity that a local church had. You just drove through the circle drive and they were playing music and it was the most touching nativity I have ever seen. And since my three oldest are all in school bands, they have started playing Christmas music for us. I love going to their Christmas concerts every year.

Since Beorn and I are Jewish, whereas Paul and his Dad are not, I read a story called The Yule Fairies on December 21. On Chr-stmas Eve our only traditions are turning on the tree's lights for the first time, drivng around looking at neighborhood decorations, and hanging stockings.

After Beorn is asleep, Paul and I indulge in some of Martha Stewart's eggnog, which puts me out like a light, LOL!

We have my parents and my ils over for dinner. I fix a whole beef tenderloin with all the extras to go with it. After dinner we give our parents their gifts so that the next morning can be all about the children. Plus, we don't see my parents on Christmas Day, only my ils, so we have to give my parents their gifts then.

We have my parents and my ils over for dinner. I fix a whole beef tenderloin with all the extras to go with it.

Oh, this reminds me! Since I'm Jewish, and Paul and his Dad are of German descent, I have never been to an Italian Feast of Seven Fishes on Chr-stmas

Eve. That is one thing I hope to be invited to someday.

We usually go to il's house, all six grandchildren open all of their gifts from FIL and Step mother IL...then we come home and putout milk and cookies, feed the reindeer and it's off to bed! Hubby and I usually are putting presents together, then we exchange our gifts to each other. it's much more fun, so that we can focus on each other without the kids distracting us.....and i't s off to bed, usually in the wee hours of the morning..........=)

It wouldn't be Christmas Eve without my mother in law reminding us that this could very well be her last christmas. She has made this statement every Christmas eve for the last 18 years!

I guess every family has one of these characters, you had me smiling this early in the morning, thanks

Our family opens their presents all on Christmas eve. Santa comes that night and fills the stockings. The kids get so excited to see what he left. This way they know what they got from mom and dad and from santa. Christmas day is left for the big feast.

We always let my daughter open one (small) present. Santa brings the stockings. We always make a lot of sweets and have crackers and meats and little small snack food. We get together with my family and just sit around telling stories, playing cards, laughing and eating. My daughter always gets a new pair of Christmas PJ's this night too. We put out cookies and milk for Santa, tuck her in bed and read the Night Before Christmas. And then we pray she goes to sleep at a decent hour and wait for Santa to come!

Then Christmas morning we always get early and all the adults are seriously tired! We first let my daughter look at everything Santa brought, then we move on to opening presents from the family. Afterwards, we move across the street to my parents house and open more presents. Then we come back home, relax, let my daughter play with her toys and then around one we eat a big feast at my Mom's house. After that, we make the trip to my husband's parents house and eat their again around six. Needless to say, we eat way too much in these few days, and by time I reach my final meal at six, I just end up pushing food around on my plate! LOL

Being of Itialian desent, We have at my house a Christmas Eve of Seafood, No meat allowed. My Inlaws and Sister inlaw and family comeover. We open presents from them, have good company and fun, When they leave we get ready for Santa, Then in the morning the kids open those and the presents from us and my family, We go no where and no one comes over Christmas day

We usually go and visit the inlaws on Christmas Eve day and then on Christmas Eve my family comes over my house (and sleeps over). I make all kinds of food and baked goods, we exchange gifts, stay up and play card games and Yahtzee then the kids set out cookies for Santa and off to bed they go. Once they are asleep, "Santa" sets out all his gifts next to the fireplace.

Christmas morning the kids wake up and open their gifts from Santa and I spend the day making Christmas dinner :)

we go to church. Come home, wash up and put jammies on early. Finish cookies if needed and watch "A Christmas Story". (the one station has this movie on every Christmas eve). Then lay out cookies and milk and get them in bed. My neighbors sometimes comes over for a visit too

We go to my mothers house and have finger foods, watch christmas movies and open one gift. They always get a new pair of PJ's to wear on Christmas. I think this year we will have our big meal on Christmas Eve so that we have more time to enjoy Christmas Day, since we will have church to attend that Morning.

In the past we have always had dinner with family on Christmas Eve. Either hosted at our house or one of their houses. Late in the evening we all gather around with a cup of eggnog, Christmas music, a fire in the fireplace, and open a gift, our Christmas PJ's and slippers. Everyone puts on their Christmas jammies, and we settle down in front of the fireplace, and I read them "The Night before Christmas". Then the children are allowed to select a cookie each for Santa's plate and they get him a cup of eggnog. Then they are off to wash their hands and faces and brush their teeth, and off to bed! Then it is time to do the mad transformation of the family room, and getting everything out and taken care of!

This year will be different. We live overseas now, and will be on our yearly repat over the holidays. So we will be on a cruise ship during Christmas. But I will have all the stockings tucked away in our luggage, as well as those Christmas Jammies, and the "Night Before Christmas". Just for Christmas Eve! And we will have some of their smaller gifts with us for Christmas morning!

Christmas eve we always go to my Grandparents house (which is now my aunts house since my Grandparents both passed) and open all the loot there and I make a lasanga for everyone. Then we come home Son gets ready for bed puts out the cookies and coffee (santa is not to into milk plus he needs the caffine) and he goes to bed. Then in the morning he opens his gifts and plays with them and I make big dinner that night. Of course this year with Christmas being on a Sunday we had to push back my aunts house because my uncle from NJ is a minister and he has to be at his chruch for Christmas but hopefully we can do it the 26th.

Guest Deals4Me

We go to my mothers house and have finger foods, watch christmas movies and open one gift. They always get a new pair of PJ's to wear on Christmas. I think this year we will have our big meal on Christmas Eve so that we have more time to enjoy Christmas Day, since we will have church to attend that Morning.

Looks like you'll have something else wonderful to celebrate this year! Congrats to you and Molly!

Guest Deals4Me

We never do the same thing....seems to change all the time!

1st Christmas together,engaged

We opened presents with his family on Christmas. Kinda traumatic cause DH's brother didnt like me, and @ 24 years of age he threw a temper tantrum cause I was there.

We then went to his Grandma's nursing home, and then to his aunts for the big christmas dinner, then to my grandma's to visit her.

2nd Christmas, married with baby

opened presents at the inlaws then dragged new baby out to grandma's in nursing home, and thento the cousins and thento my granmda (okay so that was similar to the first year)

3rd year,

opened presents, went to cousins and then grandmas

4th, we had our own house so we did it here much to inlaws dismay, but come'on! We did at there's for the previous 3 years! Darrens grandma had passed away so we didnt do that, So we went to my dad's step daughters house, and then my grandma... FINALLY came home.

5th year, THIS year....

So far looks like I'll be at the slobs house (my inlaws) with the heat set at 90. SO I'll be a barrel of Christmas joy... errrrrrrrrr.

We all spend the day together lounging around the house. Then we get ready go to church and then to my mother's. There we have snacks and fingerfoods. Yummy! Open presents. Have more snacks and fingerfoods. Then we will go home and bake a quick batch of cookies for Santa. :holiday10 We leave carrots and reindeer food outside for the reindeer. Before we go to bed we do our Advent Wreath and read the night before Christmas. Tuck the kids in bed and then DH and I finish wrapping and putting out the gifts from Santa, after someone goes out and sweeps up the reindeer food and leaves pieces of carrots in the yard. ;)

We go to my grandmas house for a big dinner and gifts in the evening. Hubby has to work until the mall closes. They do close early though. Normally we go to MIl's for christmas morning brunch, and my dads for dinner. This year we are not speaking to MIL, and my dad is in Florida. Looks like its going to be a qiut(er), more relaxed day for us! The kids will actually be able to play with theier toys!