When do you open Christmas gifts?

best4less

I am just curious because in the "when do you wrap your gifts" post, I noticed some people said they don't wrap them until Christmas Eve. My family (ever since I was a kid) has always opened gifts on Christmas Eve with the exception of "Santa" gifts which are opened Christmas morning. Anyone else or are we just odd? lol :tongue1:

My ex mother in-law used to send my kids gifts to us and I would let them open them on christmas eve so they would know what she gave them. Now that she sends them to my ex husband I let my kids open one or two christmas eve.

I used to not put one gift under the tree except the ones she sent, until christmas morning I loved the look on their faces, but everything was from santa. I stopped that now that they are older and dont believe anymore.

I dont think it is weird, it is just what you do there is no right or wrong.

When my MIL was alive we would go to her house Christmas Eve and opened thier presents then. Christmas morning, the kids open the presents from Santa. All the presents are from Santa except the one "big present" from us. My husbands grew up in a house that had unwraped gifts under the tree. I don't like to do it that way with my kids. It seems like Christmas morning lasts longer if they have to unwrap the gifts first. I also lay out the presents in a certain way to make it look like thier are more gifts under the tree. Another thing I like to do is to hide the stockings so in the morning while they are trying to find the stockings I have time to get the coffee going and don't miss out on the fun.

Guest all2tired
When I was a kid, after the believing ending, we opened gifts Christmas eve. Now that I have my own kids, gifts are opened Christmas morning (hopefully after 7 am)

Before i had kids we opened pretty much everything on Christmas eve. Now with the little ones my sister comes over on Christmas eve and they open all the stuff she gives them. We also open all the adult gifts. Christmas morning Santa comes.

:sidesplit I love questions like this. They give me a chance to talk about Christmas!!!:2wiggle: On Christmas Eve we have daughter's b/d party in the afternoon, then snack trays and lite dinner, then Christmas music, movies, and the REAL Christmas story, then open gifts from each other. Then Christmas morning we get Santa gifts which are carefully set up in five groups,lol, then a really big dinner!!! Then it's family time for just hubby, kids, and me to just enjoy each other and talk about favorite things we did. I can't wait!!!:holiday03:holiday07:holiday05:holiday01

:idea: You mean to tell me there is NO Santa?? I still believe in Santa!! J/K We open our presents on Christmas day with our kids and my family. We open presents whenever we all can agree on a day with my inlaws!! I remember the first year dh and I were married we didnt get together until the end of January!!:indiffere It seemed odd opening presents then!! Since then we have set up a time before the holidays or Christmas Eve to open presents with the inlaws!!:yelclap:

Chr-stmas morning here, although we wait for FIL to arrive first, if he's working the graveyard shift that morning. He usually arrives about 11:30 AM, we open gifts, he crashes and wakes up to a festive meal around 5:00, and then he leaves to drive back to work around 7:00 PM, if he's working graveyard that night.

Stocking gifts are the only gifts not wrapped here.

Mine is so odd - we visit two different family gatherings on Christmas Eve. My husband's whole family @ noon (but no presents are opened except for our Christmas cards from his grandmother). My mother's side of the family is in the evening-we open gifts after dinner.

When we get home that night, my husband, daughter, and I open all of our gifts to each other.

Christmas morning - Cailyn wakes up between 6-8 (depending on how late we were out the night before). She sees her "Santa sack" and dives right in.

My husband's parents, my parents, and brothers come to our house @ 9 and we do gifts again over coffee/breakfast. At 12, we go to my dad's side of the family and have a family trivia game where we open, yes, more presents.

:holiday04:holiday04:holiday04:holiday04:holiday04:holiday04

When I was a kid we opened ours Christmas Eve and then Santa's gifts Christmas morning. DH's family opened their's Christmas morning. So DH wanted to our family to open ours Christmas morning. We have just started letting them open one gift on Christmas Eve. This works out good for us because we have Church on Christmas Eve. Then we go to my mother's for gifts and snacks. When we get home it is late and everyone is tired by then. Plus they know the later they stay up the later is will be for Santa to come. :holiday10