Need a laptop ASAP

I started a new job a couple of months ago, and have since been promoted and transferred... I'm now frequently driving all over creation, and it would be awesome to have a laptop, so I didn't have to drive home every night to send reports to headquarters. ~280 miles/day is too much for me!

Budget: >$1200, the lower the better.... $850 seems like an arbitrarily good number ;)

Exclusions: Absolutely *no* HP/Compaq, Acer, and Gateway Laptops

I'm not very big on extra features... but as far as the LCD goes, the higher the resolution, the better.

I'm also not very particular about battery life, or weight.

Time to delivery is important - I need to have this ASAP.... I'm tired of getting drowsy at the wheel. I need to stay on-site, but can't do that until I get a laptop.

Here are two options:

• Compare laptop sales at SalesCircular.com

Unfortunately the best deals are on the brands you aren't interested in.

Most of the Toshiba's are Celeron :(

This is overkill for your needs and over your budget:

OfficeDepot.com $1299 after $150 rebate

M45-S359 Satellite Notebook with with 15.4-in. TruBrite widescreen. Intel Centrino Pentium M 760 1.9GHz processor, 1GB DDR SDRAM memory, 100GB hard drive, Double layer DVD +-RW Super Multi drive, Intel Pro Wireless 2200 802.11b/g LAN

• Dell has two coupons:

Dell Inspiron 15% off $999 with coupon code 75SJJRDJ8LG?3Z

Dell Inspiron $350 off $1199 on e-value code 111-i6000rs2 with coupon code 7$1M$0QCB0JCM8

For around $873 plus taxes/overnight shipping you can get a Dell Inspiron 6000 with:

• Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725 (1.60GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
  • Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 or XP Home
  • 15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
  • 512MB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
  • 40GB Hard Drive
  • 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
  • Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
  • Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
  • Additional 9-cell Lithium Ion Battery (80 WHr) Additional Battery

Why did I choose additional battery instead of replacing the primary battery? Good question. For an extra $30 ($129 vs $99) you get TWO batteries, the standard 6 cell and 9 cell.

Recommended upgrade:

15.4 inch UltraSharp WSXGA+ LCD Panel

You should wait until Black friday,thats how i got my laptop from staples.:)

price:999.99

sale price:899.95:p

Did you read the entire OP?

Time to delivery is important - I need to have this ASAP.... I'm tired of getting drowsy at the wheel. I need to stay on-site, but can't do that until I get a laptop.

Hey, I was in Staples last night. They had six laptops on clearance (there was a display board inbetween the double doors.)

I looked, but I didn't remember anything specific, none of them have 17" screens (that's what I am after).

You could give your local Staples a call and see what they have...

Also, Sam's is a good place to get a deal if you want to walk-in and walk-out with a lappy.

I went to BestBuy today, and walked out with a Sony VGN-FS740/W. It cost me a little over $1300 before rebate... ~$1150 after rebate, IIRC. That doesn't include the extended warranty... I didn't get it today, but I'll probably go back to BestBuy and buy it sometime in the next two weeks... just need some more money for that. I spent more money than I would have liked on this laptop... but it was the best deal that I could find, that I could have in my hands immediately.

Thanks, everyone. I really wish that I would have been able to get a better deal, but since I live in the middle of nowhere, and needed it immediately, I think this is about as good as it gets. :(

• 2 weeks later...

<sigh>

I already told Ross -- *he* now has the right to say "I told you so". I've had this laptop less than two weeks (thankfully), and the LCD started malfunctioning today.... in a big way.

So, it's going back to the store tomorrow. Or Saturday. I still have a few days before my two week return period is up.

How come it says no gateways?

I would have said to check out the DV1000/4000 series from HP or the V2000 series from Compaq.

<sigh> So I returned the Vaio to BestBuy today. GeekSquad (thankfully) didn't question me on what was malfunctioning... which is good, since it wasn't doing it consistently.

Well, because I have no use for a gift card, I decided to try to exchange it for another laptop. I browsed through their entire laptop selection for quite a while... and there was only *one* laptop (other than the model I just returned) that looked interesting to me... the HP dv4275. All of the other laptops had horrible build qualities, or didn't have specs I was interested in. So... I decided to get the dv4275. I also bought the extended service plan. I get it home... and the build quality of the laptop feels much worse than that of any Vaio I've ever seen. There's a single pixel that is stuck on 'red'... and that's bothering the hell out of me. Furthermore, the LCD just generally is bothering me... it looks very, very different, depending on what angle you see it from... and I'm not used to that on the other LCDs I've seen.

<sigh> Why me. I just wish that I could order a Dell Inspiron and be done with it. :( :( :( They just can't get one here soon enough.