gift ideas to give to my sons teacher

copados1993

a c moore a craft store here has mason jars in all sizes for 49 -1.00 or less:trampolin

A word of advice - I think mason jars are a popular item at Christmas so I would buy them early. I made the cookies last year and bought the last 4 mason jars from Michaels craft store. The entire aisle of them were all sold out.

This is what I did last year for my daughter's daycare teachers:

~ $ 5 Blockbuster Gift card

~ 1 box Movie Theater candy (Dollar Tree)

~ 1 bag Microwave Popcorn (Dollar Tree )

~ 2 envelopes of Hot Coco (Dollar Tree )

~ 1 Christmas Stocking (Dollar Tree)

I placed all of the items in the christmas stocking and added a gift tag.

They loved it. I had about 12 people to buy for due to daughter moving classrooms, aides, cook, director, etc. It was less than $10 per person and they thought that it was the cuttest gift. I called it Movie Night!!!!

This year, I will do the same thing but add $5 Chipolte Gift cards. I will call it Dinner and A Movie. I don't mind adding $5 since she has far less teachers this year LOL!!!!!

This is what I did last year for my daughter's daycare teachers:

~ $ 5 Blockbuster Gift card

~ 1 box Movie Theater candy (Dollar Tree)

~ 1 bag Microwave Popcorn (Dollar Tree )

~ 2 envelopes of Hot Coco (Dollar Tree )

~ 1 Christmas Stocking

I placed all of the items in the christmas stocking and added a gift tag.

They loved it. I had about 12 people to buy for due to daughter moving classrooms, aides, cook, director, etc. I less than $10 per person and they thought that it was the cuttest gift. I called it Movie Night!!!!

This year, I will do the same thing but add $5 Chilpolte Gift cards. I will call it Dinner and A Movie. I don't mind adding $5 since she has far less teachers this year LOL!!!!!

I've done this before, not to teachers, but still it's always a great idea. And adding the extra $5 for dinner makes it even better, i never did that;)

Guest Deals4Me

okay I forgot to add, teacher oriented stuff is cute, (i do sunday school so I get them too) but unless its a first year teacher, SO CLICHE! When I see them in the store and get them in sunday school, I always wanna snap and say, Okay, I'm a teacher, I get it. But thats not meso I am gracious and smile.

:)

I shop Target clearance throughout the year, and get items that look like they'd be appreciated by teachers at 75% off. The items at that discount generally range from $5 to $9 dollars, so they retail for $20 to $36 dollars.

Now that I make the bath salts, only Beorn's male teachers get the purchased gifts. One of the more popular items for them are the occasional pocket watches on clearance for $6.50.

The items I have received as a teacher that mean the most to me have not been store bought. They are poems and letters written by the children and/or their parents. They are a painting or drawing the kids have done that has been framed. These are the items I cherish more than the mugs, ornaments, and "Teachers have class"-style plaques and polished brass apples.

Consider it. They are free gifts to create, but mean the world to us as educators.

I have two teachers to buy for this year. I actually went to a garage sale over the summer and it was held by a retiring teacher. She had TONS of teacher supplies for under $1. Brand new teacher decorations, chalk, markers, educational toys, etc. I literally bought her out. I can use a bunch for my own kids plus for gifts for my kids teachers this year.

Does anone have a idea of a different kind of gift to give my sons teacher? They must get tired of getting the same gifts year after year!:loli:

See, now that you've discovered GottaDeal you can stick around all year round and get good ideas all year long... Back in July I got these awesome candle sets, 20 pieces and very nicely packed, for $4.00 a piece shipped, I bought 8 and voila, they're ready for the teachers!!

i have been a teacher for about 7 years. i have seen all of these gifts. yes teacher love the creativity, and appreciate everything. BUT what do they really use? well i love when the kids try to find out stuff about you, and go off of that. favorite food, color, place to eat, place to shop, ect. Also being a new mom, i have been reading some past copies of parents and parenting, they recommend spending $50 per teacher for kids in daycare, and $30 for a school teacher. Remember that these teachers give up so much to be a good teacher. I can personally say as a daycare teacher, that i spend about $50 to $100 a month on classroom items.

I've been a teacher for over 20 years... (yikes!)

It's so funny, because since I teach middle school, we don't get the "goodies" like the elementary school teachers do. But since our kids have 5 or more teachers, it is understandable!

My favorite presents are supplies for my desk -- red pens, pencils, post-its, etc., and gift certificates to restaurants, fast food, bookstores, etc. Or having lunch brought in to me one day -- that is awesome, since our cafe is not the greatest!

And my kids know that I love Mickey Mouse, so I often get some wonderful things with him on it!

I teach in a rural area, with over 1/2 my kids on free lunch, so I don't look for expensive things. It's the thought that counts! A pack of 10 red pens costs about $1.00 at Wallyworld. And I let the kids use them to grade papers, so they sometimes "walk" out the door. Things like that are wonderful!

Hope that helps!

June

i have been a teacher for about 7 years. i have seen all of these gifts. yes teacher love the creativity, and appreciate everything. BUT what do they really use? well i love when the kids try to find out stuff about you, and go off of that. favorite food, color, place to eat, place to shop, ect. Also being a new mom, i have been reading some past copies of parents and parenting, they recommend spending $50 per teacher for kids in daycare, and $30 for a school teacher. Remember that these teachers give up so much to be a good teacher. I can personally say as a daycare teacher, that i spend about $50 to $100 a month on classroom items.

Fifty dollars? That sounds a little steep to me....I appreciate all they/you do but with 3 kids in day care, 2 teachers a piece that's 300 bucks.... Honestly with having to pay for daycare for 3 kids I'm not able to spend that much a piece on half my family members (brothers sisters etc)

A note on the cookie mix jars: If your child will be taking it to school themselves, you may want to consider using a plastic jar, like mayonnaise or the Dole fruit jars. I work in schools, and last year I saw a child drop one of these jars in the hallway, and it broke to pieces. So sad for the student, and it was a dangerous mess.

anyone looking for gift jar recipes just type in gift jar recipes on google and you will get a gazillion sites some better than others.. the organized christmas site does offer a little more advice as far as how long they last etc.

kathy

Just a suggestion to stay away from candles, perfumes and food gifts unless you really know the recipient very well. Allergies/intolerances can move a well meaning gift straight to the re-gifting basket.

As a former teacher, I think small gift cards are great. One year a parent arranged to have lunches delivered once a month to her kids' teachers. She was able to cut a deal with the catering service and it only cost her about $20 each for 3 teachers. You could even do the lunches yourself--they needn't be fancy--just find out what they like.

And, my favorite gift of all...for the kids to make a small donation or do a service in the name of the teacher. Just have your child make a nice card or letter explaining what they did/how they chose it and give that to the teacher. You wouldn't believe how good it makes a teacher feel to know that a student cares enough about them to do a good deed for someone else. I'd rather know that $5 went to the food bank than to get a $5 candle (or a $15 candle, for that matter!).

I was a kindergarten teacher (two classes of 26 students a day). Lots of kids and lots of gifts. I was always touched by the thought of a family giving me a gift at Christmas. However, as mentioned, keep in mind that teacher get TONS of candles, lotion, ornaments, frames, etc. Every year I've had tons for a garage sale or give some of it away. Unless you know what your teacher collects/specifically likes, go with something safe like a gift card. I was always relieved to recieve a $5 gift card to anywhere!

Last year, our son was a senior, and his principal was his mentor. Anyway, he used to go there and clean her out of candy everyday...smartie pants kid huh?! So, I thought I'd play off that and bought her a candy jar...well it was kind of a candy jar..one of those big jars with the removable lid that a lot of people put on kitchen counters..only this one was a gallon size *L* She LOVED it. Oh, by the way, I filled it too.

The other teachers each got BBW lotions (remember those wonderful get a lotion with any purchase coupons). I went 18 times in a four week period between two stores to get them. I bought the gift box for 1.00, got the lotion free, put the lotion in the box and that was their gift. They were very popular gifts.

This year, I only have a 16 year old in school, but I'm waiting to see what kind of coupons come out for BBW that I can do something similar with.:wizard:

I should mention that both my kids go to a very small school. My son had 6 in his graduating class and my daughter has 4 in her class right now. The entire high school is 33 students (7 - 12) so we all kind of know what each other does for gifts. That way there's not too much repeat presents per teacher.