Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

Extreme Couponing

134 replies to this topic

#61 sweetdiggity  OFFLINE  

sweetdiggity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 Posts
  • Member since 2008

Posted Sep 25, 2011 - 8:04 am

I thought this show would be a good thing and would help people learn to save money, but boy has it meant trouble for people wanting to honestly use coupons. I am not a hoarder or extreme couponer but I get great deals and save a lot of money!! I think the show is unrealistic too in how they say they got toilet paper, Tide and paper towels for free. Yeah right. I have a store that doubles once or twice per week and even with a store coupon, sale AND a doubled $1/1 Tide coupon, my cost was still $2.98 per bottle. Great price for me but I don't believe someone could get it for free. I think they were using higher value Tide Stain Release coupons on them and frauding! This upcoming season looks worse. A lady at Walgreens totally clearing the shelf and laughing at it. I bet things will get worse now.
Retail: Homey don't pay that. :D

#62 jdrd90  OFFLINE  

jdrd90

• 1,502 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 25, 2011 - 1:07 pm

I have always used coupons, but I was not serious about it until the last month. I buy 4 papers each Sunday, print some coupons from online and just try to match up deals with the store I go to. I don't bother with coupons on stuff I would not normally purchase. I save around 48% at the store each week by using my store card and coupons. This week I spent $178 and saved $158, very nice deals. My store card provides most of the savings but I do save around $45 extra with coupons. The little I do still takes hours of preperation but is worth it. The show "Extreme Couponing" is just that, EXTREME! lol Who needs 400 boxes of cat food and not even own a cat? Crazy people :g_laughin Just take a little bit of the show and make it work for yourself. That's what I did and I am happy with my results. Good luck and enjoy your savings! :yup:
I Believe

#63 happysunshine28  OFFLINE  

happysunshine28

• 4,311 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 25, 2011 - 4:05 pm

I have always used coupons, but I was not serious about it until the last month. I buy 4 papers each Sunday, print some coupons from online and just try to match up deals with the store I go to. I don't bother with coupons on stuff I would not normally purchase. I save around 48% at the store each week by using my store card and coupons. This week I spent $178 and saved $158, very nice deals. My store card provides most of the savings but I do save around $45 extra with coupons. The little I do still takes hours of preperation but is worth it. The show "Extreme Couponing" is just that, EXTREME! lol Who needs 400 boxes of cat food and not even own a cat? Crazy people :g_laughin Just take a little bit of the show and make it work for yourself. That's what I did and I am happy with my results. Good luck and enjoy your savings! :yup:

My goal is 50%, only happened a couple times, and with small orders.

I cant get past the impulse stuff I get, like today at kroger I got a bag of fritos twists, yes they were on sale but I should have said no not unless you have a coupon, lol.

#64 Stowasser  OFFLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,955 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 25, 2011 - 4:09 pm

We generally don't have coupons in our one paper and if there is, its usually one group of them like Proctor Gamble products or similar. They actually had an article couple months ago of several ladies here who can do extreme couponing, I don't know how you can do that when we don't have coupons in the paper. I mean really buying online for all your coupons would seem very time consuming, I would love to have more coupons and match sales but wouldn't spend 60 hrs a week doing it though

#65 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 26, 2011 - 11:02 am

Well Lowes grocery store in NC signed up with TLC for some of the new episodes. The show and the store were in our local paper yesterday. The store now regrets their decision to let the show bend their coupon rules and now says they regret doing the show at all. The article basically puts in print what we have been saying all along on this thread.

http://www.newsobser...or-coupons.html

#66 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 26, 2011 - 11:04 am

I mean really buying online for all your coupons would seem very time consuming, I would love to have more coupons and match sales but wouldn't spend 60 hrs a week doing it though

That's what ticks me off the most about the show .. they need to start showing how much time is spent on gathering coupons, buying printer ink .. etc and subtract that out of their grand grocery total. I'd say they need to show the lost income of the person spending all the time on couponing .. even if they reflect minimum wage.

#67 Rockfordmom  OFFLINE  

Rockfordmom

• 6,425 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 26, 2011 - 5:48 pm

We generally don't have coupons in our one paper and if there is, its usually one group of them like Proctor Gamble products or similar. They actually had an article couple months ago of several ladies here who can do extreme couponing, I don't know how you can do that when we don't have coupons in the paper. I mean really buying online for all your coupons would seem very time consuming, I would love to have more coupons and match sales but wouldn't spend 60 hrs a week doing it though

Have you checked other newspapers besides your local one, a paper from a big nearby town? The Rockford (local) paper has barely any coupons but the Chicago paper is loaded with them so I now get both papers delivered on Sundays.

#68 Rockfordmom  OFFLINE  

Rockfordmom

• 6,425 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 26, 2011 - 6:12 pm

It's just too unbelievable. They plan their shopping trips to the exact penny, but I can't even do that at Walgreens when I am only buying 4 or 5 things. Nothing they ever go to get is out of stock? They never find something on clearance that they can use coupons on that wasn't on their list? They don't allow room for the store not having something or finding something extra on sale. I do very, very well at Walgreens and CVS most weeks; but I have tried and tried to "plan" my trips but then I get there and find something on clearance that I have coupons for or they are out of something and it messes it all up. And I can't say it enough times - It's hard keeping track of 20 coupons, it's IMPOSSIBLE to keep track of a hundred plus coupons!!! Did they scan for the correct amount and did all of them get scanned? I won't use more than 10 coupons per purchase anymore because it's too confusing & nerve racking. I catch things ring up incorrectly all the time. (Just this weekend one of my ECB's didn't print out at CVS and one of my RR's didn't print out at Walgreens. And I almost walked out of both stores and didn't notice.) I notice that they give their shopper card AFTER they give their coupons at the end of their transaction, but how do you know if the items are ringing up the correct price if you don't give your shopper card first?

#69 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,049 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 26, 2011 - 7:00 pm

I notice that they give their shopper card AFTER they give their coupons at the end of their transaction, but how do you know if the items are ringing up the correct price if you don't give your shopper card first?

I could not agree with this more...out of everything they do..that is the hardest for me to comprehend. If they are so down to the penny do they just hope it works everytime? And if it doesn't what then? Go through 30 miles of register tape? It's not realistic at all.

I have done more than 10 coupons at a time but I hand them over in stacks of however many and then watch the screen as they are discounted. It wouldn't work as well in stores without the nice screen Publix/Target have.

#70 Rockfordmom  OFFLINE  

Rockfordmom

• 6,425 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 28, 2011 - 3:28 pm

I count out my coupons before I hand them over to the cashier and listen for the beeps and count them. If I have a lot of coupons I put my first purchase in the car and go back in for a second one. It's way easier to check a receipt with fewer items on it than a really long one. I can't tell you how many times coupons don't double correctly when they are a coupon for 2 items, the stores here they will only double up to the price of 1 item. Do you argue that with a cashier? I won't, I just know it beforehand. And Tide and diapers? I want to know how they get those things for free! I never got diapers free, I remember always searching for coupons just to get them a couple dollars cheaper. And Tide is the most expensive laundry soap and at the most you may get a coupon for $1 off and if your store doubles dollar coupons you get $2 off a bottle of tide, and that would still make it the most expensive laundry soap! Purex you can occasionally get for a dollar or so on sale with coupons, but Tide? When they show their hoards / stashes many of them have Tide and I want to know how they got the Tide!

#71 tokanm  OFFLINE  

tokanm

Mary-Ellen

• 5,101 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 29, 2011 - 4:39 am

I count out my coupons before I hand them over to the cashier and listen for the beeps and count them. If I have a lot of coupons I put my first purchase in the car and go back in for a second one. It's way easier to check a receipt with fewer items on it than a really long one.

I can't tell you how many times coupons don't double correctly when they are a coupon for 2 items, the stores here they will only double up to the price of 1 item. Do you argue that with a cashier? I won't, I just know it beforehand.

And Tide and diapers? I want to know how they get those things for free! I never got diapers free, I remember always searching for coupons just to get them a couple dollars cheaper. And Tide is the most expensive laundry soap and at the most you may get a coupon for $1 off and if your store doubles dollar coupons you get $2 off a bottle of tide, and that would still make it the most expensive laundry soap! Purex you can occasionally get for a dollar or so on sale with coupons, but Tide? When they show their hoards / stashes many of them have Tide and I want to know how they got the Tide!

I was talking to a friend about this as well. I was told by her that in order to get those big items for free the customer has most likely dealt with the manufacturer and complained or complimented a product and was sent a thank you (ie: free bottle coupon). Many people contact the company all the time and get freebies. I wonder if they use different addresses etc each time?
I was happy that I got Purex for 97 cents the other day, when the store had a sale and I had a $2.00 off coupon :gdclap: I don't get how they get meat and fresh items for free with their coupons...I never see coupons for those!

#72 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 29, 2011 - 5:34 am

the woman last night buying diapers said she got the coupons by writing the manufacturer and letting them how much she loved their product. I know I have emailed companies before and asked for coupons and I've had some luck with that.

#73 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 29, 2011 - 5:40 am

I don't get how they get meat and fresh items for free with their coupons...I never see coupons for those!

From what 1 of them was saying last night - they use the overage to buy fresh items. Like an item was on sale for 81 cents and they had a $1 off coupon.

I can't see that working for much longer though - as stores crack down on their couponing because of shows like this - they will find a way to stop their computers from doing that. I'm actually surprised they don't already do that. I shop at Harris Teeter and their computers won't give you an overage. It will adjust down the amount of the coupon to the item. If the item scans at $1.25 and I have a 75 cents off coupon that they double, the first ring shows the 75 cents and the 2nd ring shows 50 cents.

Even Walgreens registers catch coupon overrage and it won't take the coupon.

They showed Kroger last night and they had to have had the store change their coupon policy for them. My Kroger will only let you use 2 of the same coupon per transaction. So that woman who bought 100 boxes of Japanese noodle soup would never have gotten away from that at my store! But like I said Lowes foods said they had to bend their rules per their contract with TLC to let them film in their store. And they regret doing it.

And I love now how they put the disclaimer on the register tape about this might not work for every store - or something close to that!

#74 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,049 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 29, 2011 - 5:50 am

the woman last night buying diapers said she got the coupons by writing the manufacturer and letting them how much she loved their product.

I know I have emailed companies before and asked for coupons and I've had some luck with that.

we got free pampers coupons when we switched from one kind to another and it gave nephew a horrible rash within an hour, they wanted to give us $35 worth in coupons but my mom argued and she got maybe 5 coupons for free megapack's. Every time we went into BJ's to redeem it was a huge hassle but I refuse to pay when coupon clearly states what it's for and max value fell into allowed amounts.

The free meat and tide I believe comes from overage due to other coupons. At the moment there is(or was) a coupon for $6 off of 2 schick multipacks which people are using at walmart on packs that are 1.97 so you pay 3.94 and get 2.06 to spend on other stuff. Discounts on meat or produce is usually combined with something else or per show people on wine tags. For example last week I found coupons on the shelf for $1 off produce when you buy Tostitos. I have never had any luck with wine tags, all the ones I see require the purchase of whatever beverage which you never see them buy on show. I'm not sure if the coupon would go through without that purchase and if this is an example of misuse but I'd think cashier would be able to read the wording easily? I was dumbfounded walking out of CVS during summer clearance when the clerk gave me an extra dollar off my Okabashi's by using coupon attached to sandal that was for CVS sunscreen(no sunscreen at ALL bought).

#75 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,049 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 29, 2011 - 5:54 am

From what 1 of them was saying last night - they use the overage to buy fresh items. Like an item was on sale for 81 cents and they had a $1 off coupon.

And I love now how they put the disclaimer on the register tape about this might not work for every store - or something close to that!

I haven't watched in a while and never noticed the disclaimer. I've gotten overage at Publix so far, planning on testing Walmart one of these days but have to prepare myself for the hassle of finding parking. It'd be so much easier to park across the busy main road and walk over but of course they have signs all over advising they can tow for that. It seems absurd to build a store w/not enough parking and almost more absurd to have a strip mall across the street with ample parking (and lots of empty store space) going to waste.

#76 Rockfordmom  OFFLINE  

Rockfordmom

• 6,425 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 29, 2011 - 10:08 am

I saw the disclaimer last night too. But if you had an overage and were a smart shopper why would you use the overage on Tide? You wouldn't, you would get a cheaper detergent. Last night the person had Purex, but last season a lot of those people had Tide detergent. They must be using Tide coupons some how ??? And a diaper manufacturer may send you coupons for a free pack or 2 if you have a complaint, but they wouldn't send someone 20 or 30 coupons. And if you call to compliment them I think they would send $1 or $2 off coupons, not for a free pack, and not that many. They're doing something with coupons to get those ??? The twins from last season, the one without kids wouldn't use her overage for diapers, she would use it for something else. She must be getting diapers because they are free or almost free. Tide and Diapers are 2 expensive items, I get the occasional bottle of salad dressing free or whatever, but I wonder how they get those things free or almost free.

#77 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 29, 2011 - 10:50 am

I think the alcoholic beverage coupons vary from state to state. I know in NC - you can't make someone buy alcohol to use the coupon - so you will see the coupon if you are cruising the wine section - but you won't have to buy wine to use it. We have hard liquor sold in state run stores - so we never see those coupons. Even in NC you can't have a rebate based upon the purchase of any type of alocholic beverages - so we miss out on some of those as well. Oh well the joy of living in the bible belt I guess! I didn't watch the episode with the Tide .. I saw the one with 100 Yakisoba Noodles and 90 dish soaps. no .. she's not a hoarder.

#78 Rockfordmom  OFFLINE  

Rockfordmom

• 6,425 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 29, 2011 - 7:13 pm

The one I saw last night said she wasn't a hoarder because she didn't have dust on any of her hoard I mean stockpile. She said dust was the line between hoarder and just stocking up. If that's what she has to tell herself...

#79 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 30, 2011 - 4:15 am

She said dust was the line between hoarder and just stocking up. If that's what she has to tell herself...

:lolrun:

#80 tokanm  OFFLINE  

tokanm

Mary-Ellen

• 5,101 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 30, 2011 - 5:55 am

I was watching one of the ne episodes (the lady with 7 teens and getting food for her church). Did anyone else notice on the register display that it kept showing F STAMPS? I did not know you could use coupons with food stamps, well I guess that is good to help stretch the food budget. I do wonder how much she is spending on coupons though? I also saw a lady with a hundred or so single serve cereals...I never see coupons for that size product.

#81 Stowasser  OFFLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,955 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 30, 2011 - 6:52 am

Have you checked other newspapers besides your local one, a paper from a big nearby town? The Rockford (local) paper has barely any coupons but the Chicago paper is loaded with them so I now get both papers delivered on Sundays.

We don't have any bigger towns LOL There is the Billings one but not even sure its sold here LOL I think Montana is left out of alot of marketing campaigns, we don't even get half the ad flyers, they don't send enough to put in all the papers

#82 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 30, 2011 - 6:54 am

I also saw a lady with a hundred or so single serve cereals...I never see coupons for that size product.

that's what is getting the coupon world in an uproar. She's using coupons that don't specify a size. Some of the personal care mfgr have caught on and you will see "not valid for trial sizes". I'm guessing the food world hasn't caught on to that yet as their products are still evolving. And you know the company didn't mean for anyone to use a coupon on the single size boxes of cereal. And that is what some people are calling coupon fraud.

I checked my coupons for cereals and most of them do not have a size on them .. but I don't get the logic in that. Why would you spend money on the coupon and use all of them to get smaller products for free? Wait til the regular size box goes on sale then you don't have to use all of your coupons - granted you pay for it - but depending on how much you are buying the coupon for - I would think that would be more cost effective. YKWIM?

#83 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,049 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 30, 2011 - 7:08 am

Why would you spend money on the coupon and use all of them to get smaller products for free? Wait til the regular size box goes on sale then you don't have to use all of your coupons - granted you pay for it - but depending on how much you are buying the coupon for - I would think that would be more cost effective. YKWIM?

I see this a lot on the couponing site I visit and it might make sense if you have 4000 of the same coupon but even then in the long run I'm thinking taxes add up don't they? I buy up to 5 copies of newspaper but only if there are really good coupons (and then I get accused of stealing because I make sure all the inserts are included in each copy). Plus all those small packages take up more space than a single larger one, I guess with things like dishwasher tablets you can combine them into a container?

#84 totallyBF  OFFLINE  

totallyBF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 Posts
  • Member since 2010

Posted Oct 1, 2011 - 9:32 am

I have been watching that show too much I use to coupon a lot but I've gotten so busy lately the best I've done couponing is I spent 80 bucks but with all my coupons it was only 15 dollars at the end I was so happy and I stopped I'm not sure why but my goal now is start again on Sunday and save up more money for black Friday hahaha I love the show I wanna do that!! But how can you possibly manage that with a full time job?
i wish everyday was black friday :g_laughin

#85 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 1, 2011 - 9:36 am

Most of the females on the show do not work outside of the home. If they did, the salary they would make would probably be more than they save in coupons or the time spent gathering coupons.

#86 totallyBF  OFFLINE  

totallyBF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 Posts
  • Member since 2010

Posted Oct 1, 2011 - 9:45 am

Have any of yall tired selling coupons you gather in the newspaper on eBay? I've seen a lot.
i wish everyday was black friday :g_laughin

#87 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,049 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 1, 2011 - 1:04 pm

I've considered it, but am also considering the coupon train. Maybe I'll pm someone about how often they go around and approx cost of postage. I've given a few away and have many expired ones stored to give to my aunt to send in a huge pack to military families.

#88 deal1478  OFFLINE  

deal1478

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2011

Posted Oct 3, 2011 - 7:17 am

Does extremem couponing really work!? Don't you think companies are starting to catch on?

#89 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,049 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 3, 2011 - 7:35 am

I guess extreme is relative to each person but I am happy with what I can get which may be extreme to some..80% savings on rare outings at Publix with B1G1 and coupons..or using both store and manufacturer coupons. It does take time but it would surprise you how much can be saved. I helped an older lady by giving her my store coupons and just picking some more up at the door and she was able to get 2 boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch for her grandkids instead of 1. She was happy to pay 2.99 instead of 5.xx and semi confused when I told her about $2coupon but when I explained it was ON TOP of the discount she already saw she was very thankful and surprised the coupon had just been waiting by the front door.

#90 happysunshine28  OFFLINE  

happysunshine28

• 4,311 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 7, 2011 - 8:44 pm

I was watching one of the ne episodes (the lady with 7 teens and getting food for her church). Did anyone else notice on the register display that it kept showing F STAMPS?
I did not know you could use coupons with food stamps, well I guess that is good to help stretch the food budget. I do wonder how much she is spending on coupons though?
I also saw a lady with a hundred or so single serve cereals...I never see coupons for that size product.

I seen that one, I think the register just has that as a total for everyone, she paid with cash I think. That did stick out though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users