Which ereader do I get?

tast

I am not sure on the other ones but I know my mom has a kindle and loves it. Amazon has hundreds of free books and the download speed is quick for getting a new book right as you order it (I heard someone say another one took quite a while). It has multiple font sizes, games, and many books have the option for it to read the book to you with text to speech in a couple of different voices. They also just added the lending ability so someone could "loan" you a book they have purchased. I will probably be getting a Kindle soon and I can piggyback off of many of my mom's books.

Thanks for the info. I am just torn between kindle and nook and then a friend had to throw the ipad in there...she heard they are releasing ipad 2 so the first one may go down in price....I just got done reading reviews on kindle all good for the most part...

I had a nook, and now I have an Ipad. There really is no comparison because the ipad does so many things other than just read books. I have both the Kindle app and the Nook app on my ipad so I have free books from both places as well as Ibooks. Downloads are very quick, and I love the 3G on my Ipad.

I wouldn't get an iPad as an e-reader - the Nook or Kindle is much better in sunlight due to the e-ink technology. If you are going to use the iPad for other reasons, then by all means, get it.

We have the kindle. Works fine. Hubby just started subscribing to the newspaper on it - only $5/month.

DD and I got Nooks for Christmas and have used them everyday since. We love them and have had no problems downloading books. We have bought a few and borrowed a few from the library. Both were virtually instantaneous. I've also downloaded lots of free books from B&N and classics from Google. I thought there was a battery problem, but after reading up on it on the web, realized you don't get it fully charged until after the 3rd full recharge and change the settings. Since then, great battery life. The soduku game on it is fun. It also has chess, but I haven't tried that out. You can change the font size. You can add music. I plan on doing that this weekend. I like that you turn the page by lightly doing a turning motion in the touch screen area (but if you prefer, you can also use the page turn buttons). The touchscreen is very responsive. I also like that you can organize your books by bookshelves (mystery, etc....whatever you like). Did I mention we love them?!!! lol

Oh, don't forget the B&N freebies. DD and I are going to B&N this week to use our free smoothies coupons. :D

I just got a Velocity Cruz and i LOVE it. It's kind of a mix between a Kindle/ Nook and an IPad but a lot cheaper (I think Bestbuy has them for $99). I don't have a fancy cell phone that I can get on the internet on and the Cruz does a little bit of everything. Although I mainly use it as an ereader, it has sooo many functions and I haven't found a problem with it yet...

My sister bought me a kindle and my son bought himself a nook color for christmas. THere is no comparison, Kindle is much better for reading. I've put over 200 books on there, I admit I got most of them online, but on amazon kindle discussion boards, there are daily comparisons from people who have both. THey said kindle outdoes the nook in everything and the color is only good for magazines and pics. It takes maybe 5 seconds to get a book and I use calibre computer software to convert any I download from the internet if they need it.

The backgrounds color on the Nook color is adjustable - the salesperson at the store almost converted me from my original Nook when she showed me the sepia background. It looks very similar to the e-ink. I love my original Nook though and will be sticking with it for a while. I'm not sure that the Kindle outdoes the nook on everything - the Kindle can't borrow books from the library and it is only the most recent Kindle version that allows the book sharing that the Nook came with originally.

Love my Nookcolor. I got it for Christmas and it is fabulous. You can download a program called Calibre and convert books from .lit to a .epub and upload them to your Nook. I have a friend who has emailed me several books (around 50). I just changed their file and now have free books.

I went with a nook. I liked the feel of the Kindle better but I will borrow more books from the library then I will read so I had to go with the Nook. I love it now and wouldn't trade it for anything. But the main factor for me was the ability to borrow ebooks from the library which the Nook can do and the Kindle cannot.

Something I learned in the kindle discussion forum for people who are buying nook to be able to borrow from library. Many libraries have a small selection and since they have to buy each copy, there may be months of waiting since you can't return it until the 14 days is up. Many people are disappointed in their library selection. They have to buy each ecopy. I downloaded 3 torrent files today with over 3000 books. Every hardback I own was in the collections. I will never have to buy another book again.

It depends on what you read. If you like the classics and mass market fiction, you will find more than you can read at most reasonably sized libraries. I joined a library a couple of towns over from us and the Philadelphia library and created a wish list at both with hundreds of books that DD and I would like to read. Now, are all of them currently available? No, but whenever I need a book, one of the two libraries will have something currently available for me to read. Same goes for DD with respect to juvenile fiction. And you can put yourself on the waiting list. Both times I've done that so far, I was able to get the book within 3 days. And I have several friends with nooks now so that I can books all the time. Throw in free books, you'll never be without a book to read.

Something I learned in the kindle discussion forum for people who are buying nook to be able to borrow from library. Many libraries have a small selection and since they have to buy each copy, there may be months of waiting since you can't return it until the 14 days is up. Many people are disappointed in their library selection. They have to buy each ecopy. I downloaded 3 torrent files today with over 3000 books. Every hardback I own was in the collections. I will never have to buy another book again.

A legal torrent file? I doubt this.

Okay I am all new to this-what is a torrent file and where did you download it from?

A torrent is basically a copy of something (music, movies, books, computer software) that others have put out on the web for you to copy. Basically, think of it as Napster...a little different but not much. Anyway, when you download a torrent its pirating. Thus the name *******ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR****** for one of the sites.

Edited by freesia39
remove site