Skeptical For This Year!

tmc

If you think about it, what with all the high gas prices, Katrina, Rita...

my impression is there won't be much to wait in 5 degree weather for at

midnight or earlier the previous day!

But, if i has to guess what might be 'hot' are things that have had lackluster demand sofar this year, like computer and other flash memory. Cd's/Dvd's (a fixed price for certain quantity... or get something free for buying them)

The one thing you WON"T see is alot of those FREE AFTER REBATE DEALS this year.. companies have been screwed (as have we) by the oil companies... and wait, they just got another Christmas bonus, of new tax incentives to build oil refineries... :eyepoppin

Lets' see, what else might be dirt cheap... fuby, (gotta love walmart with those cheap toys) computer networking is poised to be hot sellers, playstation 2, xbox / xbox 360 bundles for a sweet deal (maybe $50+ discount or so... or alot of goodies thrown in)

Seriously, I hope if its bitter cold this time, ALOT of people just stay home this time around and BOYCOT buyind ANYTHING this season to teach the stores (and in due course, the OIL COMPANIES) a lesson in supply/demand.

If the product sits on the shelf too long, it spoils, just like lettuce on the shipping dock! Kind of like after 9/11/2001, nobody bought a thing, just stayed inside watching tv, YES...that kind of boycott

Even sony said they're gonna wait to cut any prices this season!

Ha! Despite hype from sites like this (which btw, do a GREAT job at getting the inside scoop of the best stuff available) the downside is it makes things just that more competitive.. but my guess is it will backfire bigtime...

More people are buying early and online, not waisting their time, too.

I saw a handful of deals that were better around NOW and not black-friday... the prices WENT UP but it made things look like a good deal.. don't be fooled.

:wife: HEY quit your b****ing, everthing is more yes, the hurricane were horrible and yes my family in Miss. is compromissing on alot of stuff...BUT we are alive and the Christmas sprit is alive and well We on this board love shopping and surprising out family and firends this is a place to share idea bargin brag and have some fun telling our stories. SOOOO please rethink youor attitude and get in the spirit> I hope your days get better!!!!:angel1:

BF's "hotness" has been on the decline for the last couple of years. Places like bestbuy are identifying us as their "devil" customers. They don't like us, and I commend BB for having the balls to admitt it. I can tell you they arn't the only ones with that kind of mind-set.

Welcome to the forums, although I wish you had made a more high-spirited entrance here. I actually disagree with your philosophy. Gas prices have bounced back after the immediate wake of Katrina, and I don't think Rita did any noticeable damage to the gulf coast oil rigs. Gas prices increasing is by no means anything new. It's been happening for years. And yet we have not even seen the beginning of the notion of a worthless Black Friday. Your analogy to September 11 in this context is completely unapplicable. After 9/11, we all felt a little less safe. We felt less secure. I don't think anyone not affected by the hurricanes fears for their safety because of an act of mother nature that we all expected.

Let me make one more point. Black Friday has been a cornerstone of the shopping industry for decades. No store is going to back out of participating in the event because that would be financial suicide. Remember that these stores are competitors. They want to out-do one another. And the notion that they will not try to attract as many customers as possible on Black Friday because gas prices have gone up a few dozen cents over the past several months is very ridiculous in my opinion. So don't be so skeptical. Don't try to rain on everyone's parade, and don't try to invision this already terrible disaster of Katrina being even bigger than it actually is.

And also, welcome to the forums to larryandsue as well ;)

-Mark-

Mark you are right, there is no way a store will back out of BF, but they don't advertise as many loss-leaders as they have done in the past. I don't think this is becuase of 9/11 or hurricans...but they just don't make any money off of them.

But, if i has to guess what might be 'hot' are things that have had lackluster demand sofar this year, like computer and other flash memory. Cd's/Dvd's (a fixed price for certain quantity... or get something free for buying them)

The one thing you WON"T see is alot of those FREE AFTER REBATE DEALS this year.. companies have been screwed (as have we) by the oil companies... and wait, they just got another Christmas bonus, of new tax incentives to build oil refineries... :eyepoppin

Lets' see, what else might be dirt cheap... fuby, (gotta love walmart with those cheap toys) computer networking is poised to be hot sellers, playstation 2, xbox / xbox 360 bundles for a sweet deal (maybe $50+ discount or so... or alot of goodies thrown in)

Seriously, I hope if its bitter cold this time, ALOT of people just stay home this time around and BOYCOT buyind ANYTHING this season to teach the stores (and in due course, the OIL COMPANIES) a lesson in supply/demand.

If the product sits on the shelf too long, it spoils, just like lettuce on the shipping dock! Kind of like after 9/11/2001, nobody bought a thing, just stayed inside watching tv, YES...that kind of boycott

Even sony said they're gonna wait to cut any prices this season!

Ha! Despite hype from sites like this (which btw, do a GREAT job at getting the inside scoop of the best stuff available) the downside is it makes things just that more competitive.. but my guess is it will backfire bigtime...

I saw a handful of deals that were better around NOW and not black-friday... the prices WENT UP but it made things look like a good deal.. don't be fooled.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Hi TMC!! Welcome to gottadeal! You will find that we have the nicest members on here. Everyone is always willing to help out fellow members. Let me be the first to help you out:

I guess I am just lucky! I live in Georgia, so our weather will probably be 40-50 degrees (if not more) when I leave to go shopping on BF. Our gas is even down about 6 cents in the last few days!!!

But, if i has to guess what might be 'hot' are things that have had lackluster demand sofar this year, like computer and other flash memory.

Actually, computer sales were not exactly lackluster this year. According to Standard and Poor's, the demand is still high, just not as high. I've noticed several posts on gottadeal asking questions regarding purchasing a new laptop. Just think, we have 7009 members (this is as of 9:20 PM EST, give us a few minutes and we will have probably have someone else join to make it an even 7010) and we have several here saying that they are going to be purchasing computers on BF.

You can read the S&P article here if you would like: http://www.physorg.com/news6519.html

You can also read this article: http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/oct05/articles/dias/lcd.htm

This is a great article! It even has great graphs in it that show how sales comparisons. Those may help you better understand my point.

This article leads us to your next point:

The one thing you WON"T see is alot of those FREE AFTER REBATE DEALS this year.. companies have been screwed (as have we) by the oil companies... and wait, they just got another Christmas bonus, of new tax incentives to build oil refineries

Not sure about the FAR deals, but they are expecting tons of MIRs. Here is part of the article I posted the link to above, "vendors will continue to prioritize rebates throughout the upcoming holiday season"

If the product sits on the shelf too long, it spoils, just like lettuce on the shipping dock!

It is always bitter cold somewhere in the US and their lines are just as long on BF as they are in other, warmer places. I mean after all, what better way to boycott the oil companies than to turn your heat down before leaving home to go BF shopping. WAIT!!!! There's an idea...everyone turn your heat down in your house before you leave to go shopping...we'll show those oil companies who's the boss...BF shoppers that's who!! (TMC - I am so glad you mentioned those oil companies. I would have never come up with that idea if it wasn't for you..see you are already helping members of this board...that's the spirit!!:trampolin )

Despite hype from sites like this (which btw, do a GREAT job at getting the inside scoop of the best stuff available) the downside is it makes things just that more competitive..

As Andrew Carnegie once said, "And while the law [of competition] may be sometimes hard for the individual, it is best for the race, because it ensures the survival of the fittest in every department."

and you can't forget Jerry Flint, "Competition is a painful thing, but it produces great results."

Gosh, we can only hope that they do!! Wouldn't that be a great thing to be 4th in line rather than 14th or 24th!! If they stay home that puts all of us closer to the front of the line!!:lolrun::yay:

TMC, I just wanted to show you a little love and help you out a bit. You seem like you may need just a wee bit. Look at the glass as half full - not half empty!!

We are a friendly and helpful group here at gottadeal. Play nice!

Amie

My initial 'guess' would be that because of the current economic situation (and what I believe will be the short-term future situation), sales may be a little sluggish leading up to BF, which would cause stores to offer even DEEPER discounts to lure us in.

just my 2cents.

Well, I don't know if the weather could keep me in on BF or not, but I know that gas prices won't. I live in a small town and all my shopping is 7 or 8 miles away from my house. Also, I think that the situation down here in the southern states recently is so unfortunate, I have family all along the Texas Gulf Coast. But I would hope that of all times, this holiday season, people will be thankful for all that they do have and the spirit of the holidays will shine through.