BF Advice from a WM Employee --- Please Read

UtahHotDeals

I tried asking at customer service and electronics and they were all clueless about bf. They didn't know the sale starts at midnight and one said they wouldn't even be open until 5 and it's a 24hr. store. I was beside myself about the lack of knowledge. Anyone else running into this? How can they not even know by now that the sale starts at midnight? :mad: I may go to the next town and forget this walmart.

This exact thing is happening at my city's walmart and target stores... it makes planning impossible!

USELESSNESS VENT: So I decided to stop by walmart on way home from work and asked to speak to store manager only to be told they're not there at 5:30pm. I then asked when they might be available next and the rep responds with "what do you need to speak to them for?". I explained I need BF info and rep advises me pretty spectacularly that SHE knows nothing about it. So now I;m annoyed and say "exactly, thats why I needed the STORE MANAGER" and she proceeds to tell me that the store manager has nothing to do with sales and they basically have no business in the store at 5:30pm. So I insist she calls another manager knowing full well they'll know nothing to but indulge myself. Manager eventually shows up not speaking a word of english after rep specifically asks me if I speak english so I re-explain my question and basically get the same "I know nothing" response. She was super helpful when I asked for historical information from years past on when ppl show up "PPL show up earlier or later depending on what they want it's a 24 hr store".

I suppose I will have to stalk the store manager sometime next week or write corporate. On the bright side I did notice a Gamestop in same shopping center.

Edited by tinkrbel
finish

In reply to mcox,

Last year, I had to bring my husband and we where only allowed one item per person.....

I'm interested in the map also, he will not be happy if we have to stand in a line from MN till 5am.....I know he's rather just pay the price today then stand in a line for 5 hours....:rolleyes:

In reply to mcox,

Last year, I had to bring my husband and we where only allowed one item per person.....

I'm interested in the map also, he will not be happy if we have to stand in a line from MN till 5am.....I know he's rather just pay the price today then stand in a line for 5 hours....:rolleyes:

That's what Black Friday is! Standing in line for hours only to rush around! ;)

So now Basically with the new 12 am deals going on, all them people that are there for that will still be there for the 5 am deals! Sooo if I'm wanting the laptop for the 5 am deal then I had better have my arse there by midnite then?? lol I was planning on being there around 3 am. but now I'm scared the line will already be packed by then what are your thoughts on this? And no I don't think it would be fair to people if you were to get a wristband/ticket at midnite then go shopping for the next 5 hrs. then go get in line to get your 5 am deal, cuz then there would be no point in getting up early to be there at 3 am to stand in line for my one thing, cuz everyone else that was there at midnite would prob. have all the tickets already right? Ohhh Walmart you messed up my plan of action this yr. cuz of the midnite sales!

The midnight sales had nothing to do with it. Two years ago I stood in line outside Walmart from about 10pm til 5am and the mad rush through the doors! Sucked! Last year they opened the doors at midnight but you couldn't by anything until 5am. I got there around 3am because I didn't need any doorbusters so I just walked around and shopped for 2 hours. When I got here at 3 every line for every doorbuster was already full. Unfortunately if you want an awesome doorbuster deal like the laptop you can't just stroll into the store 2 hours before they go on sale and walk out with exactly what you want. You have to work for it! ;)

if you look at the very bottom of the first page on the circular ad youll see exactly what items come on sale at 12:01 and which at 5 and the last page of the circular is the saturday sales

I have seen you post this in another thread. I think everyone knows the times at the bottom of the ad. It's whether or not the store abides by that or not which of course they will unless there are laws. The problem or venting is that the employees haven't even been told any info.

I have seen you post this in another thread. I think everyone knows the times at the bottom of the ad. It's whether or not the store abides by that or not which of course they will unless there are laws. The problem or venting is that the employees haven't even been told any info.

poorly run stores then ..we've been thru a trainin video...given our updated scheduled time to work, the manager in charge has spoken with every associate shown them exactly on the map theyre suppose to be by midnight,explained what their position is responisble for..knows exactly which will be carryin walkies. whos responsible for pallet cleanup once the merchandise is sold, we had to signoff on a sheet stating we knew our exact jobs that night...we know who'll be the floaters for covering breaks..whos checkin receipts at the door...i dunno why it would be any different but it is a big corperation and i suppose managers styles differ but for us we're ready for a safe and value filled black friday

Yes, it is poorly run stores. Too bad w/a corporation that large there will be many poorly run stores and managers. Maybe corporate should crack down more and follow through. This is a major operating day so the employees should be informed weeks before hand and then again a few days before to freshen their memories. I am glad some stores seem to be on top of it but there are others that aren't. Thanks for letting me vent. :tongue1:

lol make u a deal you vent now and ill vent the day after about my sore toe which got trampled...the hair missin that someone wantin past my line pulled...the extra makeup ill need to cover the no sleep bags cause yep soon as i clock out ill be on the gottadeal band wagon and shop whats left lol we're not allowed to shop until the shift is over even though some at other stores i heard do...good luck to ya

Okay so I just called my WM store and they told me they will NOT be price matching AT ALL. (ugh) and then I asked "okay so your sales are at 12am and then again at 5am? " And she says to me...."we'll I know we have a 5am sale I don't know anything about 12am. I havn't seen a flyer..."You havn't seen a flyer?? Like seriously its a week away and you have no idea what's going on? and your answer is I havn't seen a flyer LOL. I am so annoyed and confused. and I'm bummed b/c I thought for sure that they would be price matching. I think I might try to have DH call again next week and ask the same questions.

I Agree 100 %

So now Basically with the new 12 am deals going on, all them people that are there for that will still be there for the 5 am deals! Sooo if I'm wanting the laptop for the 5 am deal then I had better have my arse there by midnite then?? lol I was planning on being there around 3 am. but now I'm scared the line will already be packed by then what are your thoughts on this? And no I don't think it would be fair to people if you were to get a wristband/ticket at midnite then go shopping for the next 5 hrs. then go get in line to get your 5 am deal, cuz then there would be no point in getting up early to be there at 3 am to stand in line for my one thing, cuz everyone else that was there at midnite would prob. have all the tickets already right? Ohhh Walmart you messed up my plan of action this yr. cuz of the midnite sales!

This is great info! Is there somewhere we can look up the particular store's policy on things like what time they are handing out armbands, if they are even doing armbands, and store maps of where the doorbusters will be? Or do we have to call the store? I'm going to Duluth which usually is NOT chaos so I'm going in at 3am to see if they are doing lines or armbands. Last year we got there at 5:30am, half hour after open, and I got within 5 people of the ipod touch. We want the 17" laptop and the LG HDTV. Good thing my hubby is more gung-ho about it than I am.

This is great info! Is there somewhere we can look up the particular store's policy on things like what time they are handing out armbands, if they are even doing armbands, and store maps of where the doorbusters will be? Or do we have to call the store? I'm going to Duluth which usually is NOT chaos so I'm going in at 3am to see if they are doing lines or armbands. Last year we got there at 5:30am, half hour after open, and I got within 5 people of the ipod touch. We want the 17" laptop and the LG HDTV. Good thing my hubby is more gung-ho about it than I am.

Go to walmart.com and find your stores ad. There is a store map there for some of the doorbusters. If you click on an item it will tell you if it's instore only or also online.

Go to walmart.com and find your stores ad. There is a store map there for some of the doorbusters. If you click on an item it will tell you if it's instore only or also online.

Well that is what it says but when I went online for the 12:01 items that were suppose to be sold online it said "Not sold online"..arghhhhhh

Well, at my Walmart there were problems. I had a map and found a place where the line for the laptop was supposed to start. I was first in line at 10 p.m. where I thought the line should start. It was not marked with the balloons or any signage. I good size group of people quickly formed. The Walmart employee showed up and acknowledged we were in the right spot. She was told she could hand out the wrist bands and then we could either go get in line for another item, or shop until our item was ready at 5 a.m. I got my wristband about 1030 p.m. and then proceeded to shop around. I later learned that we may have received our wrist bands too early and may have to give them back. I later learned that an angry crowd had formed where the line was. They were angry that the wrist bands were given out early and the line was not clearly marked. I came across this group at the back of the store waiting on a manager to take care of them. These people were sold a different laptop for the same price. They also got to leave the store with their item.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was happy I got my laptop, but was angry they got to buy theirs and leave. They definately would not have received a laptop at the price in the ad if the wristbands and line had been handled properly. They could have avoided this if they had the lines better marked and been better prepared. I thought Walmart was the expert in organization.

Well, at my Walmart there were problems. I had a map and found a place where the line for the laptop was supposed to start. I was first in line at 10 p.m. where I thought the line should start. It was not marked with the balloons or any signage. I good size group of people quickly formed. The Walmart employee showed up and acknowledged we were in the right spot. She was told she could hand out the wrist bands and then we could either go get in line for another item, or shop until our item was ready at 5 a.m. I got my wristband about 1030 p.m. and then proceeded to shop around. I later learned that we may have received our wrist bands too early and may have to give them back. I later learned that an angry crowd had formed where the line was. They were angry that the wrist bands were given out early and the line was not clearly marked. I came across this group at the back of the store waiting on a manager to take care of them. These people were sold a different laptop for the same price. They also got to leave the store with their item.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was happy I got my laptop, but was angry they got to buy theirs and leave. They definately would not have received a laptop at the price in the ad if the wristbands and line had been handled properly. They could have avoided this if they had the lines better marked and been better prepared. I thought Walmart was the expert in organization.

Why were you angry? It seems like WM made a mistake but attempted to correct it and satisfy everyone. Their correction didn't prevent you from getting your item.

I have to scared I was really worried about going to Walmart on BF. I have not done Walmart on BF since 2002, but I wanted to get the $198 32inch TV for DD12's room. I got to Walmart at 10pm, and quickly found the "A" balloon, we were 10th in line. It was all ver organized, found people I knew in front of us and relaxed until 4:30 when they started bringing out the pallets with the TVs. Packed up and got ready. They handed out the TV's at 5am 1 to each person who ahead of me and we followed the line to go get other stuff that was not as limited. I picked up 2 external hard drives and the magnovox blu ray, got on line to pay and was on the way to Kmart by 6am. It got a little crowded but things went smoothly.

My only complaint was that if you wanted to shop at 12 and you were by yourself, unless you knew someone you could easily have lost your spot in line. Also if you wanted more than 1 of the limited items unless you had someone to go on another line you were out of luck. Good thing it was only the TV I wanted, otherwise there was no way I would have left DD12 be on a line without me DH would have had to come with us.

I was pretty happy overall, and employees kept coming down our aisle asking if there was anything we needed. They came by with Donuts, granola bars, drinks, gum and energy drinks (all free) One employee even said they would hold spots for single buyers to go get food from subway (in store) if they wanted. I had my DD go get my food. I have to say I was quite impressed with Walmart, it has wiped out my last BF trip there in 2002 from my memory.