Best Blu-ray deal??

ICF

Thinking of getting our 1st blu-ray player this black friday.

What are your thoughts on the ones that we have seen in the ads so far?

Im hoping to find one that has built in wi-fi (as running cable to our router isnt really an option) for $100-$125 or so.

Any suggestions?

I want to get one. I have no clue what to get. I wanted to see if you guys can give me advice/opinons on the best blue ray player for the money on black friday. Doesn't have to be the cheapest just the best deal for the money. I have a samsung tv so I thought about just getting a samsung player. THANKS

Samsung generally has a good reputation. I just got a Sony with built-in WiFi access to the Internet, which allows me to watch Netflix, YouTube and other online sources on my TV. I'm really happy with it. Cnet.com has a lot of reviews, if you want to check them out . . .

I think that all depends on what you want out of your player. Do you want it to stream Netflix, etc.? Does it need to have wi-fi built in? Do you care about brand name? There are several factors in deciding which one would be the best "bang for your buck". I have been researching them for myself. For me personally, the Walmart $69 is going to be the one I'm after.

Yes I'd like to have wi-fi and the you tibe thing sounds pretty cool, netflix I can do without. Brand names I have seen on sale on BF all sound good to me sony,samsung, LG just don't know which is the best deal. I shall read up some more but thanks for any help, much appreciated :D

I have six of the insignia players -- one wifi and five wired. Got the first new and the rest for $60 from dealtree on ebay. The wireless one is on sale friday for $100 and I highly recommend it. I got one to stream netflix, but it also plays bd great and upconverts standard DVDs. I'm less interested in Pandora and CinemaNow, but these services work with these players. What I LOVE about them is that you can play movies off an attached usb disk. I have ripped most of my collection to mkv and really enjoy the convenience of not having to fetch a disk. I needed to switch to WPA to make the wireless unit work and prefer a wired connection where available.

If price is not an issue, I really like the LG-BD590 for $211 (http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD590-Network-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B0036WT1V8). 250GB HD, BD-P, Netflix, YouTube, CinemaNow, BD Live, Advanced Audio, Quick Booting, 1GB Memory, Wireless 802.11n, DLNA, 7.1ch Analog Output, Instant Tray Open, 1080p up-scaling for DVD, USB Media Host. Truly awesome.

The wireless one is on sale friday for $100 and I highly recommend it.

I got this one last year for $99 I think with a bluray included and I enjoy it. Might get my parents one and return the walmart non-netflix one I ordered today for 65. They don't need it but I'm sure my mom access it if she had it.

Could you fill me in about what all thisplayer will do? And how you get it to do it?( i know I have been under a rock)

But what do you have to connect to the player to be able to see youtube and what all can you do with the wifi option?

( do you have to some how hook it up to your tv and a computer?) what all do you need to hook it up?

I realy do thank you in advance!

I think that all depends on what you want out of your player. Do you want it to stream Netflix, etc.? Does it need to have wi-fi built in? Do you care about brand name? There are several factors in deciding which one would be the best "bang for your buck". I have been researching them for myself. For me personally, the Walmart $69 is going to be the one I'm after.

Could you fill me in about what all thisplayer will do? And how you get it to do it?( i know I have been under a rock)

But what do you have to connect to the player to be able to see youtube and what all can you do with the wifi option?

( do you have to some how hook it up to your tv and a computer?) what all do you need to hook it up?

I realy do thank you in advance!

from walmart.com...

Magnavox Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi, MBP5120F/F7:

•Full-HD Resolution 1080p Video Output

•Video on Demand--Vudu, NETFLIX, Blockbuster

•24fps (frames per second) for Cinema-like Picture Quality

•Blu-ray profile 2.0 (BD LIVE) internet connectivity to enjoy

•Download new contents, games, etc

•The Magnavox Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi is Energy Star Qualified

•Wireless LAN for easy multimedia streaming

So, it will play blu-ray or standard discs and you can use it to connect to pay services like Vudu, NETFLIX, and Blockbuster. You would need a network connection to receive updates and connect to the pay services. That connection could be wireless (WIFI). You'd have to have a network connection near the player or a wireless router that could be configured to accept a connection from the player. You would use a computer to configure netflix, but the computer would not be connected to the player.

If you don't have HD tv, is owning a Blu-Ray player worth it?

Put it this way: You might as well, since, if you're still watching a standard-def TV, you're viewing on borrowed time (I, myself, fall into this category). Once your current set goes, you're going to have a dickens of a time finding a non-HD replacement. If you can find good prices on Blu-Ray, why not get a head-start? That way, when you DO go HD, you'll already have high-quality stuff to play on it. Also, the streaming video features on most players are pretty amazing.

I'm thinking about getting my in-laws a cheap one from Wal-mart that way when we buy a blu-ray, they borrow it and can enjoy too (even though they don't have an HDTV;yet). For now it works ok with some movies because they come with a standard dvd, but it would be nice for the ones that don't :yup:.

Yes I'd like to have wi-fi and the you tibe thing sounds pretty cool, netflix I can do without. Brand names I have seen on sale on BF all sound good to me sony,samsung, LG just don't know which is the best deal. I shall read up some more but thanks for any help, much appreciated :D

I will have to ask you then, have you ever personally tried Netflix yourself?

I'm thinking about getting my in-laws a cheap one from Wal-mart that way when we buy a blu-ray, they borrow it and can enjoy too (even though they don't have an HDTV;yet). For now it works ok with some movies because they come with a standard dvd, but it would be nice for the ones that don't :yup:.

Remember that you are not looking at a first-rate bluray player with stellar reviews. This is not unlike the deal they had last year that had many still on the floor on Black Friday and after the sale they lingered. Walmart = cheap, I do agree with that, not especially quality items though.

It sure is! The DVD backwards compatibility and the functions that you will gain will probably convince you to save up for your next purchase which should be an HDTV. remember that HDMI cables for HDTV should cost no more than $5 for a 6' to 10' cable online. Do not buy them in the store. I do believe on store will have them for $5 on Black Friday, so see if you can get one of those for the future.

Remember that you are not looking at a first-rate bluray player with stellar reviews. This is not unlike the deal they had last year that had many still on the floor on Black Friday and after the sale they lingered. Walmart = cheap, I do agree with that, not especially quality items though.

Yeah, I got ahead of myself. I used the Walmart one as an example, but will probably buy a better one on sale next week.

I have six of the insignia players -- one wifi and five wired. Got the first new and the rest for $60 from dealtree on ebay. The wireless one is on sale friday for $100 and I highly recommend it. I got one to stream netflix, but it also plays bd great and upconverts standard DVDs. I'm less interested in Pandora and CinemaNow, but these services work with these players. What I LOVE about them is that you can play movies off an attached usb disk. I have ripped most of my collection to mkv and really enjoy the convenience of not having to fetch a disk. I needed to switch to WPA to make the wireless unit work and prefer a wired connection where available.

If price is not an issue, I really like the LG-BD590 for $211 (http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD590-Network-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B0036WT1V8). 250GB HD, BD-P, Netflix, YouTube, CinemaNow, BD Live, Advanced Audio, Quick Booting, 1GB Memory, Wireless 802.11n, DLNA, 7.1ch Analog Output, Instant Tray Open, 1080p up-scaling for DVD, USB Media Host. Truly awesome.

Thanks for the reply. been busy but tryin to make a decision today i hope.

We are getting our first Blu-ray player this year, too. I thought I was waiting for Black Friday but after talking to a guy at Best Buy and looking around I'm pretty sure I'm ordering a LG BD570 Network Blu-ray Disc Player from Amazon for $147. It was the one the guy at BB suggested and was $162ish at BB online. It is also the #1 rated Blu-ray player on Amazon. Anyway, before I place my order are there any reasons this is NOT a good machine? Thanks for any input!

+++

Niccole

We are getting our first Blu-ray player this year, too. I thought I was waiting for Black Friday but after talking to a guy at Best Buy and looking around I'm pretty sure I'm ordering a LG BD570 Network Blu-ray Disc Player from Amazon for $147. It was the one the guy at BB suggested and was $162ish at BB online. It is also the #1 rated Blu-ray player on Amazon. Anyway, before I place my order are there any reasons this is NOT a good machine? Thanks for any input!

+++

Niccole

It has good CNET reviews and FYI it's $127 on Amazon now.

It has good CNET reviews and FYI it's $127 on Amazon now.

Alas, it's back to $151 now. But considering it has analog 7.1 audio outputs (remember when I asked the OP about their audio setup?), and is only like thirteen bucks more than comparable players on "doorbuster" special, if you're looking to avoid the BF hassle, it may still be worth it.