Thanksgiving & Christmas appetizer ideas?

jenmovdob

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps38181_CW1191757D18.jpg

I make this every year

12 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling

Ingredients

2 packages (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese

6 ounces deli smoked turkey, finely chopped

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

1 tablespoon finely chopped onion

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

DECORATIONS:

3 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened

2 tablespoons milk

Brown, orange and yellow paste food coloring

6 large oval crackers

1 large sweet red pepper

1 small yellow summer squash

1 cup pecan halves

Assorted crackers

Directions

In a small bowl, beat the first six ingredients until combined. Shape into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.

In another small bowl, beat cream cheese and milk until smooth. Divide among four small bowls. With food coloring, tint one bowl brown, one dark orange and one light orange (using yellow and orange); leave one bowl plain.

Transfer each mixture to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of each bag.

For turkey tail feathers, decorate the top halves of large oval crackers with tinted cream cheese.

Using the red pepper, form the turkey head, neck and wattle. For beak, cut a small triangle from summer squash; attach with cream cheese. Add eyes, using brown and plain cream cheese. Insert pecan halves and decorated crackers into cheese ball. Serve with assorted crackers. Yield: 1 cheese ball (3 cups).

Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Townhouse Oval Bistro crackers.

IllinoisMom, your cheesy turkey is too cute!

Sometimes as a snack I will spread cream cheese on to Triscuit type crackers and then put dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, almonds and other seeds or nuts on them. They are sweet and salty, but not too filling.

that cheese turkey is too cute!

My kids cry for cheese dip every year - I make it in the crockpot. It's the velveeta & rotelle tomatoe recipe - I also add cooked sausage to mine.

Have you ever tried sausage dip with cream cheese instead of velveeta? Oh my gosh it's sooooooo good!!!

little skewers of cut up sausage,bread and cheese

i always thought this would be cool get a small pumpkin and core it out as best you can and put a really good dip in it and serve with different things to dip in it.if it gets too messy just throw the whole thing out no dish to wash!!

OMG we have the sausage cream cheese dip too and we eat WAY WAY more of it than what should be considered healthy! It is sooo fab and so easy too. We like it with those Tostitos scoops chips.

LOL!!! I'm addicted to that stuff.......and healthy smealthy, it's the holidays! I love Frito scoop cornchips with mine:)

can you post a recipe? It sounds different .. may have to try that one!

Oh it's super easy. This is for a single batch but you can double, triple etc depending on how many people you have.

1 lb sausage

2 bricks of cream cheese(I think those are 8 oz)

1 can rotel tomatoes

Brown and drain the sausage just like you would do with hamburger meat.

Add the cream cheese and rotel......I normally do this in a pot or crockpot

Simmer over low heat stirring occasionally until the cream cheese is melted and everything is evenly combined.

This will make a thick dip.....not runny like reg velveeta/rotel dip.

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/fruit-gobbler-688370/ I made this "appetizer turkey" last year- it was very cute, everyone loved it. I can't access my picture, so this will do.

As an alternative, you could just take bamboo skewers and place grapes, cheese, fruits onto them. They are quick and easy to grab and put on a plate - no grapes rolling off! The kids find them more fun to eat than just fruit. Add in some mini-marshmallows or marchino cherries for fun/color.

What about something like guacamole? It is sort of 'non-thanksgiving' but everyone likes it. It won't spoil their taste for dinner and it is kind of healthy.

And we do kinda of the same thing - we do the Buddig shaved beef, take some cream cheese and add some horseradish - normally about 2 Tbls to an 8oz block. Smear the cream cheese mixture onto the piece of beef, then roll it up. Yummy. My mom called them beef logs.

So when should we be there? lol