ipod touch for 8 year old?

twinmom

Don't you just love it when someones starts a sentence with "No offense"... Well of coarse you are offensive. I know you weren't asking how to parent your child right? I bought my son an ipod touch 2nd gen. when he was 7 and he is getting the 4th gen for Christmas...... No problems. Teach them the right and wrong and you shouldn't have any problems.

its funny, we had the same debate. We have four kids...4,5,6 (girls) and 8 boy. My wife has a touch and all of the kids have played with it extensively. Definitely get a rubberized sleeve for it. Ours has been dropped and such and we haven't had any issues.

We are big fans of the Apple Refurbished stuff....it carries the same warranty as new and you will never be able to tell the difference. We have debated the $149 touch versus the $99 Nano versus the new touch screen Nano.

Everyone has cheap MP3 players for car rides and such and they have kept those working. All but the youngest has a DS and have kept those working. They take care of their stuff and we are on them to put them back in cases and keep them where they won't lose them. We are getting each of the one larger present this year and we have had this very debate. The oldest wants a touch so our local bank ran a promo where you got a free one with a new account. His is done. We then debated getting one for the 5 and 6 year olds. We went back and forth between the two nano's and a touch. For 50 bucks difference, they get the ability to play games. We have a huge library of games already and will be able to load them onto all of the Touches. Plus with them having all played with my wife's, and the 8 year old getting it, it just made sense. We ordered two of the refurbished ones. The youngest is finally getting a DS as she plays with her siblings all the time.

For those worried about the internet....its quite simple....don't let them surf. If you run a secure network, there ipod's won't work unless you let them. If our kids want online, they need to do it at the family computer. Our kids will use it for games and for music and every time we buy an app or music, we will now be able to put it onto four players.

Best of luck in whatever each of you decides.

My youngest turns 7 on Christmas and she is getting the 4G one. The 32G. I think she only needs 8G, but I don't think I'm going to win that battle with the gift giver. She loves my Ipod and Iphone. The idea is for her to be able to use facetime with her grandparents and text her family whenever she has wi fi access (mostly at home). The camera is pretty good too, same as my iphone 4G, I think. She likes music and can watch movies and play games on it.

This question came up on another board that I belong to --a third grade teacher came on and said that they used a grant and purchased 25 ipod touches for her classroom and she couldn't recommend it enough. She listed about 50 educational apps that they put on them. Even before I had read that I had planned to get my 11, 8, and 7 year old each one. it will be great for trips and times when we have to wait at appointments etc. There are book reading applications, games, educational applications, music, videos, movies--I think they will get so much more use out of these then they do their ds's. I am really excited for my kids to get one and happy that I won't have to share mine any more :D

What would you tell her if she asked for a pony?

DD19 and DD16 are still using their Ipods they got for Christmas 3 years ago. DD19 says the battery is slowly dying, but she knows not to ask for a new one from me.

When my daughter asked for a pony, she got it! But we are a horse family. My kids get what they ask for unless it's absolutely absurd. My son is 13 and his friend is on his third ipod. I see nothing wrong with it, They are very educational.

Last year I got my 2 kids an iPod Touch each (they were 2 and 5 years old then). It's one of the best gifts we've ever gotten them! I limit their time using them, but I do let them use them in the car, on long trips, and sometimes late at night to settle down.

Before giving it to them, I loaded them up with their favorite kids songs, kids games, home videos, their favorite TV shows, a movie or two, family photos from their birthdays and family events, etc. They absolutely love them. For their birthday they got an iTunes gift card and I help them choose downloads to put on there. I also got them a screen protector and nice silicone case for protection and I put those on before I wrapped it.

They absolutely LOVE their iPod Touches. They've been dropped, etc, and hold up well! No Leapster or Nintendo DS's for us!

• 2 weeks later...

We are considering getting my 14 yr old son a 3rd gen touch so he can use it to organize at school. My biggest concern is that he doesn't empty his pockets or remember to charge our third phone when he uses it. Two phones have been washed. I think he is going to sell his dsi and some games to pay for part of a 32gb 3rd gen touch. We will probably get it from Best Buy. i hope since he will be paying for half, he will value it more and take care of it. He is very ADD, though, and it is tough. However, he is in HS now and needs to take responsibility to organize himself.

He still does not have a cell phone. I have lots of issues with the way I have seen kids use phones so for now, we have a third phone on our plan called, " the kids' phone". ( My daughter is 11) They can take it to golf or dance or use it in the mall if they are not with us but they are not allowed to give out their numbers to all their friends or call anyone we have not pre-authorized. I ck their phone and view calls on our bill. It works for us for now. I anticipate getting him a phone at 16 when he starts driving but I am not at all sure it will have texting. My husband has been hit twice this year by kids texting while driving. I just want it so he can call if he runs out of gas or breaks down. I guess I'm old-fashioned but....

Of course, my daughter wants an ipod, too. She would probably take bettercare of it. Worst thing would be that it might get lost in her room. I don't really like them having unsupervised internet but she has done well with internet priveleges so far. They are just so expensive. Not sure if she will get one this year.

Good luck with your decisions!