Angel Tree

LeeNina19

I went online to JCPenney too...They put all sizes for clothes, coats, gloves....but no specific wants? Dh and I don't have children so we always do 2 girl/2 boy toys for tots. I want to do the Angel tree along with toys for tots this year. I have never done an angel tree, so am not sure what the child wants if ot not listed...?

I went online to JCPenney too...They put all sizes for clothes, coats, gloves....but no specific wants? Dh and I don't have children so we always do 2 girl/2 boy toys for tots. I want to do the Angel tree along with toys for tots this year. I have never done an angel tree, so am not sure what the child wants if ot not listed...?

Sounds like JCP has issues this year. Last year the list was very comprehensive, sizes of all need items (all needs were clothes) and 2-3 listed wants (specific toys, bikes, mp3 player, etc.). I would suggest a toy for a child around the age of the one you choose, if no wants are listed. Ugh! Last year was so easy, just buy from list and check off.

I just got my list from the town for my adopted family and it included a 35 year old mom and her two daughers aged 2 and 4. I was so sad when I read what the mom wanted for her Christmas gift. She asked for toilet paper, paper towels, and laundry detergent.

While I plan to get her these items, as she obviously wants or needs them, I'm looking for suggestions on what else she might like. I don't know anything about her other than the information I posted.

Thanks for the ideas!

get an assortment of nice smelling lotions. i love lotions as i never have money to buy perfume i like, so smelly lotion makes me feel good.

pajamas. usually i wear sweats or something but i did get a new pair of pajamas last year and i just feel good wearing something matching to bed.

i hate wearing shoes and i just love comfy slippers.

maybe movies for her to watch when the kids are sleeping;mamma mia,stuff like that just so she can sit and watch a movie one night

a coffee or tea basket. always love different coffees and teas maybe a special teapot too. when i make a pot of tea it tastes better thaqn just making a cup at a time. also maybe a tea ball that you put loose tea in and put it in a cup like a tea bag.

i always love a new pillow too

all this stuff wouldnt cost a lot but when its wrapped it would look like a lot of stuff

Edited by dealluvr
add

I second the lotions, body spray, luxury items she would not normally buy for herself. Maybe a nice book, for her to relax, nice smelling soap and bath salts so she can relax in a tub. PJs are nice maybe a nice sweater (you don't know her size so get a gift receipt for the store so if it does not fit she can return it)

I second or third the lotions and things like that. I know as a mom of 3 I always buy stuff for my kids before for myself. Little things like lotions, earrings, a watch, nice pajamas...those would be great. Maybe also something she could do with her children- like scrapbooking supplies and a gift voucher for pics to be developed with a disposable camera. Or maybe an inexpensive digital camera? Its hard to say when you aren't sure what technology they have or anything like that.

Thanks for the ideas so far! :) It is very hard when you don't know anything about the family. I wanted to get Dvds for the girls and the mom, and some popcorn, containers, etc, but not sure if they even have a dvd player. I mean mom is asking for paper towels for Christmas! I love the ideas about pampering her. It really puts things into perspective. I showed my kids and husband the list, and told them they are asking for things we take for granted every day. This economy is tough! I'm glad my family has been able to weather it.

Is there anyway to find out her size? I agree with the PJ's, slippers and lotions. Mabye some nice smelling candles so she can light in the evening in her new pj's when the kids go to sleep. A good book. Eat, pray, love is awsome for any woman. Some flavored coffee's or tea in a nice coffee mug. Mabye do a basket with the lotions and some body wash, a new bath poof. Some nice gloves or warm fuzzy socks. Just some ideas of some things I know I like and would love to get.

Oh and mabye you could do a cleaning basket for her also. Laundry basket with the laundry soap, tp, paper towels, fabric softener, bleach, dish liquid, some new dish towels, windex, things we normally just take for granted to clean our house. And mabye a gift card to a grocery store or restaurant for her to take her girls out to dinner and mabye have a special night that they probaby don't get very often. Even if it's Mickey D's.

Maybe a gift certificate for BBW? or Sephora? That way she can pick out something luxurious for herself. Fragrances are so personal and I bet she would enjoy picking one out for herself.

Blankets are always nice as are soft, warm socks. A grocery gift card would be appreciated too. A Target gift card would be nice because she could get groceries, cleaning supplies, body lotions, a book, anything she may want.

Edited by Kibit13
add item

I think the gloves scarf hat (depending on your climate) is a good idea. I would stay away from anything that will require her to put any money into later- like crafts etc. A GC for a casual restaurant would probably be a big deal and appreciated family time out. Maybe tickets to a movie theater? I second the lotions etc. And some fuzzy socks-who doesn't love those! Maybe a robe instead of PJ's so you don't have to worry about size.

I love these idea's... when you were talking about rather or not she would have a DVD player... depending on how much you want to spend a DVD player and some movies might be a great gift ... stick in some microwave popcorn and those fun theater pack candys you can find just about anywhere.. so they can have a family movie night. somthing my family loves.. we also love board games and this time of year they can be really inexpencive.

Do you live in a cold weather area? Hats, Gloves, Scarf for mom... otherwise GC to places for Pizza.. or McD's.... add dish detergent, sponges, and other cleaning items... things that are not covered by food stamps... tinfoil, saran wrap, baggies, ... I like the idea someone said about a blanket... new towels...

I just got my list from the town for my adopted family and it included a 35 year old mom and her two daughers aged 2 and 4. I was so sad when I read what the mom wanted for her Christmas gift. She asked for toilet paper, paper towels, and laundry detergent.

While I plan to get her these items, as she obviously wants or needs them, I'm looking for suggestions on what else she might like. I don't know anything about her other than the information I posted.

Thanks for the ideas!

There are a LOT of good ideas here for the mom of this family! Kinda reminds me of what I've done for bridal and baby showers before, so this might be an idea to kind of incorporate a bunch of it:

(This would work for most all "themes" - or even "a little of everything" mixture - but the first example that came to my mind was kitchen/bath cleaning stuff.)

Get a neutral-colored laundry basket (or a hamper?)- put all bulky and/or non-flexible items in first (i.e. paper towels, TP, anything in boxes), then add in smaller items in the empty spaces left (like dish soap, sponges, pot holders, etc). Then use either towels or a blanket to "wrap" it up, by spreading over the top and tucking tightly around the edges (or if the blanket is large enough, unfold it to line the basket before adding everything else, then after adding all other items gather it at the top of basket with a rubber band and a ribbon or bow, like a store-bought gift basket with a blanket instead of cellophane!)...

I like to get one outfit, one toy for each child, an outfit for parent and everyone gets a movie ticket for a that years holiday movie, i figure going to the movies is a treat few can do. if i can squeeze more money i add more toys , sometimes a gc for a grocery store, i try to also add money for concessions...

I have secretly adopted a family of 5 kids that have been in my heart for years. I am close to the family, and I am doing something differant this year. I am actually getting the gifts ready and giving them to the mom the first week of December along with wrapping paper and such. I have outfits for each, bath and body stuff for all, toys for the young ones. I want to make the holiday season a little brighter for her to not worry about gifts for the kids, as well as wanting her to be able to give the gifts to the kids herself. As a mom I just want to help another mom!

My kids have asked if they could do some kind of holiday giving this year. I would love to be able to do this but don't know if we have the extra money. I'll try to find a way though... how can you say no to a request like that? :)

It's a credit to you that your kids ASK to participate even if its not possible this year. Maybe donate time at a shelter/soup kitchen if money is tight and time is available. I don't know how old the kids are but I'm sure visiting a childrens ward in hospital or childrens home would be something different for the other children and bring so much joy (especially if/when the kids are similar in age).

I do this some years when we have the extra cash to spare. I will be picking a boy and girl from the tree this year. Sure, I could probably spare 15-20 every year but if thats all I can do, I would rather leave that childs name on the tree for someone else to pick that can do more. I know it's the thought that counts but those kids really need things, for example: socks, underwear, a warm coat, gloves, shoes, a nice new outfit to wear back to school after Christmas break. I mean, they are on that tree for a reason. Theres also that possibility that they may have siblings that someone else has picked. I'm sure they appreciate all things they get but if one only gets say a small toy or 2 and thier sibling got toys,shoes,clothes,socks etc. then thier feelings may be hurt. I like to give them a pair of shoes,socks,underwear,coat,gloves,an outfit or two along with some of the toys or other items that they listed as thier interests. I know that this may be all they get for Christmas and it makes me feel good knowing that they at least got some things they needed as well as some things that they wanted. I think it's great when anyone gives back, but if I can't provide these things, then I don't want to keep that child from getting the things he/she needed when someone else probably can.

I picked out three names today and hopefully with the great deals I find I'll be able to get more names. I LOVE giving to the Angel trees.

The requests from the gift recipients were so simple. Reading them made me tear up a bit. Shampoo and Conditioner, juice glasses and stuffed animal. (thinking about making one at Build a Bear) I am looking for a coupon for the shampoo and conditioner and I know Marshals had some nice sets of glasses the other day on clearance. There is a $20 limit per gift, so I like to save as much on the gift they requested so that I can give them a little something extra too.

I picked out three names today and hopefully with the great deals I find I'll be able to get more names. I LOVE giving to the Angel trees.

The requests from the gift recipients were so simple. Reading them made me tear up a bit. Shampoo and Conditioner, juice glasses and stuffed animal. (thinking about making one at Build a Bear) I am looking for a coupon for the shampoo and conditioner and I know Marshals had some nice sets of glasses the other day on clearance. There is a $20 limit per gift, so I like to save as much on the gift they requested so that I can give them a little something extra too.

It makes me cry too! A lot of them ask for simple things.

The mall is setting a table up so I need to go by and pick a few.

Walmart will have the "Build a Bear" set on BF for $10.00... something you might be interested in! :o)

Okay so I have 2 gifts from off the Angel Tree, these are the kind that are requested by the parent who is in prison. The first one is a 12 year old girl and the request is "hair products and make up" so what kind of make up or hair products are appropriate for a 12 yr old? Regular shampoo and conditioner seems cheesy. I am a very conservative parent who would only let my 12 year old wear lip gloss and maybe a little blush, so I need some assistance here. The second request is for a 16 year old girl for "books (animal)" since I don't know reading level this is kind of tricky, however most of the books for young adults aren't the animal story kinds. So what would you all recommend. Gift cards are not acceptable they have to be an actual gift.