Official Black Friday NETBOOK & TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

The Acer that was on sale @Walmart and will be on sale @Target has flash so yes it can. The netbook that Kmart will have is Windows CE and they can't handle flash.

It can handle Flash, actually. Just limited to simple animations... http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=98 No Flash games or anything like that...

However, the drawbacks greatly outweigh the price IMHO.

Windows CE is the equivalent of Windows 95, but with less options and features. It sure ain't pretty:

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/extra/windowsce/desktop.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_ce

Windows CE -- think very old "smartphone" in terms of technology and performance. Long in the tooth is an understatement. Original release date of November 1996? Really?

Windows CE is so limited, it can't run Word, Excel, etc. It has it's own versions of Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, etc.

And it has it's own subset of programs -- it can't run "regular" Windows programs at all (there is a WinCE version of Internet Explorer, but there is no WinCE Quickbooks, for instance.) http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php

The ones that already bought the one with Windows 7 starter in Target need to be careful, because the one in the add specifies "Windows XP home" so probably it is a different model and you won't be able to price adjust

If the people that bought the one at Target hopefully got the one for $239. If it was $259 or $269 then it is the wrong one and they will not price adjust. The correct one is $239.99 and the model number is AOD255-2331. Here's the link:

http://www.target.com/Acer-Aspire-Netbook-AOD255-2331/dp/B0041DZTV2/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=acer&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-18&qid=1290203570&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Acer%20Aspire%20Netbook%20AOD255-2331&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

I noticed that when I went to Target. They had a model of the one with Windows 7 out on display, but not the one with XP. In any event, they didn't have anything in stock to sell earlier this week.

Just wanted to let you know that I just got back from my store in Marshfield , Wisconsin. The one I had boughten the Acer at yesterday. He indicated the one I bought is the one on sale tomorrow and that is what he has in back and stated the XP part had to have been a misprint. I realize this may be of confusion for some but I paid $249 yesterday and he did confirm based on sku I will get the difference tomorrow as this is what he is selling for the sale.

Just wanted to let you know that I just got back from my store in Marshfield , Wisconsin. The one I had boughten the Acer at yesterday. He indicated the one I bought is the one on sale tomorrow and that is what he has in back and stated the XP part had to have been a misprint. I realize this may be of confusion for some but I paid $249 yesterday and he did confirm based on sku I will get the difference tomorrow as this is what he is selling for the sale.

According to the model number it is highly unlikly that it has windows 7. I went to my store today the floor model was a windows 7 edition and did not match the sale item. This item is not likly a store displayed model and is a special order for them. It should not be on display come tommorrow and you will need a store employee in electronics to get it from the back.

I need help! Any input will be appreciated!

Like Target, Best Buy will also have a Gateway Netbook on sale tomorrow for $179.99.

10.1" w/Webcam

1GB mem

160GB Hard Drive

Windows XP, Intel Atom Processor.

My question is, which brand is best? Acer or Gateway? It seems that both have the same specs, but I'm just not sure where to go! I would really appreciate your comments. Thank you!

According to the model number it is highly unlikly that it has windows 7. I went to my store today the floor model was a windows 7 edition and did not match the sale item. This item is not likly a store displayed model and is a special order for them. It should not be on display come tommorrow and you will need a store employee in electronics to get it from the back.

Was at Target today. They had two netbooks displayed and neither one was the one on sale tomorrow. The mgr. went to the back and confirmed the one on sale tomorrow is not going to be out until tomorrow morning. He said they had at least 40 on a pallet.

I was just going to post the same thing, the sales associate that I talked to said the acer computer is different than the one on sale tomorrow, they were not allowed to sale any before tomorrow morning. I will be there at 7:30 to make sure I get one! Everyone in college that has a netbook loves them, and that is what this will be for...

I need help! Any input will be appreciated!

Like Target, Best Buy will also have a Gateway Netbook on sale tomorrow for $179.99.

10.1" w/Webcam

1GB mem

160GB Hard Drive

Windows XP, Intel Atom Processor.

My question is, which brand is best? Acer or Gateway? It seems that both have the same specs, but I'm just not sure where to go! I would really appreciate your comments. Thank you!

I'm not sure which one will be better, gateway has a slightly better name I would say, the thing that I would think about is how many each store will have I know that the Target store that I went to said they had about 37, Best Buy sometimes has very limited quantities??? Good Luck

Just got back from Target with the netbook. There were about 10 people there to buy. When all were taken care of there were still about 38 left. It is the AOD255-2331 model. Windows XP not Starter 7. The thing I like is the Android Instanton function. A quick way to check emails and do some browsing. Here is a link to the Acer site with the specs. http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&kcond61e.c2att101=87605&sp=page16e&ctx2.c2att1=25&link=ln438e&CountryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=843&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=3760702217#wrAjaxHistory=0

I bought my acer aspire one from target on thursday and then today i went to target and price adjusted it and asked if i could get the free sleeve with it and they said no but then another worker/supervisor said that i could get the sleeve with it if i returned the acer and bought it back so they did that and gave me the sleeve with it too...so yea Im lovin my acer..its really fast...

The one thing i cant figure out rite now is the android instant on thing...how do I do that? If anyone else has figured this out can they help me with a guide of how to do it...lol...thanks

Got mine at Target this morning. No lines, no waiting, no problem. There was only one other person there to get one. I heard him say something about selling it on ebay!

At my store in Apple Valley, CA the sleeve was only available in blue or black.

Theres still a ton left in my area, I bought mine to sell it on ebay for the free case lol. Just sold it above my selling cost, like 5$. Just in it for the case. I will be getting the Compaq netbook at BestBuy, the acer is nice, but the compaq has a newer processor N455 and windows 7. Not a huge difference.

Theres still a ton left in my area, I bought mine to sell it on ebay for the free case lol. Just sold it above my selling cost, like 5$. Just in it for the case. I will be getting the Compaq netbook at BestBuy, the acer is nice, but the compaq has a newer processor N455 and windows 7. Not a huge difference.

The Compaq at Best Buy is slightly better and a little less money but there is no way I'm going to BB on BF and I wasn't taking the risk of not getting it online. ;) I have the blue one from Walmart and got DS10 the black one from Target. :)

With a Netbook, for instance the Sylvania 7" one at Toys R Us on Black Friday - can you purchase an external hard drive to use with it?

My friend is wanting to get one for her kids' to use - basic online use and online games. Trying to stay in budget, I think it would be worth it for just that use, any naysayers?

With a Netbook, for instance the Sylvania 7" one at Toys R Us on Black Friday - can you purchase an external hard drive to use with it?

My friend is wanting to get one for her kids' to use - basic online use and online games. Trying to stay in budget, I think it would be worth it for just that use, any naysayers?

Yes you can get an external hard drive for it but it won't help the operating system. It has Windows CE which is basically an OS for a cell phone. You will not be able to play online games that use Flash (most of them even games like Farmville) because that netbook doesn't have flash. Also an external hard drive is at least $50 so instead of $80 it will be more like $130. It would be well worth it to spend a little extra for one like the Compaq at Best buy for $150 or one of the Acers for $180.

Yes you can get an external hard drive for it but it won't help the operating system. It has Windows CE which is basically an OS for a cell phone. You will not be able to play online games that use Flash (most of them even games like Farmville) because that netbook doesn't have flash. Also an external hard drive is at least $50 so instead of $80 it will be more like $130. It would be well worth it to spend a little extra for one like the Compaq at Best buy for $150 or one of the Acers for $180.

Agreed.

Please, unless it's literally $10, please DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING WITH WINDOWS CE. Buying a netbook with Windows CE is like buying a child's wind-up car and expecting to drive it to work.

Agreed.

Please, unless it's literally $10, please DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING WITH WINDOWS CE. Buying a netbook with Windows CE is like buying a child's wind-up car and expecting to drive it to work.

Thank you guys! I will let her know. I did mention that it wouldn't be cost effective if the external hard drive was going to be just for the netbook, but I guess she was planning on buying one of those for use with her own laptop/desktop also.

And Jen, thanks for especially mentioning the Farmville, because I'm pretty sure those are the type of games her boys would be playing on it (if it would work, lol)

I will pass on to her that she really does need to go upwards a little on the budget and get a real laptop.

Thank you guys! I will let her know. I did mention that it wouldn't be cost effective if the external hard drive was going to be just for the netbook, but I guess she was planning on buying one of those for use with her own laptop/desktop also.

And Jen, thanks for especially mentioning the Farmville, because I'm pretty sure those are the type of games her boys would be playing on it (if it would work, lol)

I will pass on to her that she really does need to go upwards a little on the budget and get a real laptop.

Don't forget about my other comments above about Windows CE: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?182530-Official-Black-Friday-NETBOOK-TABLET-Discussion-Thread&p=1778774&viewfull=1#post1778774

The Windows CE operating system is originally from 1996, and it's styled very much like Windows 95 and requires it's own special programs.

The boys might have more fun lighting the $80 on fire. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Mil-Camping/marshmallow.gif

I started up mine from Walmart, same thing. There is a bunch of junk you need to go through in the beginning. It seems a little slow but my other two computers are duel core so I can't really compare them. It's not that slow though. Don't think I could use it as my only computer, but if it was all I had I guess I'd have to wouldn't I? ;) It will be fine for DS10, he will love it! :)

Don't forget about my other comments above about Windows CE: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?182530-Official-Black-Friday-NETBOOK-TABLET-Discussion-Thread&p=1778774&viewfull=1#post1778774

The Windows CE operating system is originally from 1996, and it's styled very much like Windows 95 and requires it's own special programs.

The boys might have more fun lighting the $80 on fire. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Mil-Camping/marshmallow.gif

Lol on the fire comment! I'm sure her boys would like that!