Official Black Friday NETBOOK & TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

My son has the Acer netbook Radio Shack is offering on Black Friday for $179. We paid $249 for it refurbished on tigerdirect.com a little over a year ago and have been very happy with it. I've been looking at the Compaq Best Buy is offering for $149 for my father-in-law who knows nothing of computers but would like to learn how to stay in touch with us via email, etc. I know nothing regarding that particular model though, so I may just go with the Radio Shack one. We've been quite pleased with how Windows XP runs on Beorn's. I know nothing about Windows 7 that is on the Best Buy one.

If you want a netbook that will work for games and sites with Adobe Flash (many sites use this for games) they I would get the $149 one from Best Buy or the $179 one from Radio Shack. The $80-100 ones from Toys R Us and CVS are pretty much useless for that. They only have Windows CE (meant for phones) and might not have Flash capabilities.

If you want a netbook that will work for games and sites with Adobe Flash (many sites use this for games) they I would get the $149 one from Best Buy or the $179 one from Radio Shack. The $80-100 ones from Toys R Us and CVS are pretty much useless for that. They only have Windows CE (meant for phones) and might not have Flash capabilities.

How are those 2 netbooks for a 13yr old? He would need internet, facebook, & also power point, excel, word etc. I know they don't come with the microsoft suite but could you buy the software and install it? Would it work well? Or do I need a notebook/laptop for that.

I have the same questions you have because I need a netbook that has the same functionality that you are looking for. Internet, power point, excel, word, etc. for a 12 year old boy. I would be interested in installing the microsoft suite on a netbook but I am so confused if I need a laptop instead. I don't even know how the netbooks work!

thanks for the advice!! I have never done BB on BF but I am going to give it a shot this year. I wonder how early I need to get there if they open at 5am.

thanks for the advice!! I have never done BB on BF but I am going to give it a shot this year. I wonder how early I need to get there if they open at 5am.

the local BB here if there is a hot item you want you better get there the day before thanksgiving with your tent and heater...lol

I've been waiting for the Archos 101 for a while and it looks like it'll be out really soon. My Droid Incredible can almost entirely replace my laptop on an average day of work, but the screen size is very limiting.

I am interested in this as well. I will be watching for comments

Any one have an option on if I should get DS10 a tablet or a netbook? I'd like to spend around $149 although if I go with the netbook looks like the one at Radio Shack for $179. No more than that though. Thanks!

I was wondering if the android tablet is almost like an ipod touch?

I was wondering if the android tablet is almost like an ipod touch?

No. They both have browsers but tablets are more of a computer not an MP3 player. Tablets, except an iPad run Android not iOS. They have a min of a 7" screen. Think of a Touch as a glorified MP3 player and a tablet as a more portable laptop.

No. They both have browsers but tablets are more of a computer not an MP3 player. Tablets, except an iPad run Android not iOS. They have a min of a 7" screen. Think of a Touch as a glorified MP3 player and a tablet as a more portable laptop.

Can you download music and listen to it on a tablet?

Does anyone know the Specs on the compaq netbook at best buy the one with 1gb and 160gb hd...I searched but Idk if its the same..I was also wondering if anyone know if this netbook will be on sale online and what time they usually go on sale onine...im in EST...i heard 3am but im not sure...I am so not goin to best buy but want the netbook...i cant camp out there...but wat number in line do you think i would have to be if i did go there and wat time should i go if I did go just for the netbook? do you think this will be a big item? its a 2 day sale so do you think i would be able to get it on saturday if not friday?? Would greatly appreciate any advice and help...thanks in advance

Does anyone know the Specs on the compaq netbook at best buy the one with 1gb and 160gb hd...I searched but Idk if its the same..I was also wondering if anyone know if this netbook will be on sale online and what time they usually go on sale onine...im in EST...i heard 3am but im not sure...I am so not goin to best buy but want the netbook...i cant camp out there...but wat number in line do you think i would have to be if i did go there and wat time should i go if I did go just for the netbook? do you think this will be a big item? its a 2 day sale so do you think i would be able to get it on saturday if not friday?? Would greatly appreciate any advice and help...thanks in advance

The specs are simliar to every other netbook out there in the cheapo range, 1.4 webcam, 5400rpm hard drive, 1gb memory, intel atom 1.6ghz, intel gma video, 10.1 led screen, 6 cell battery, 2-3hr life etc

There all the same. Its just brand and design, I like the acers but I will be picking up the compaq myself.

You also can bet your bottom dollar the netbook will be available online since it is not a door buster. I plan to still camp thoe, its for the expierence of the day, can't get that online. Seriously who wants to sit at home with relatives, thats what christmas is for. If I was home, id be ignoreing everyone anyways so screw it.

The specs are simliar to every other netbook out there in the cheapo range, 1.4 webcam, 5400rpm hard drive, 1gb memory, intel atom 1.6ghz, intel gma video, 10.1 led screen, 6 cell battery, 2-3hr life etc

There all the same. Its just brand and design, I like the acers but I will be picking up the compaq myself.

I have never ordered online from BB is it pickup at store only on BF or shipped to your house? Thanks

I have never ordered online from BB is it pickup at store only on BF or shipped to your house? Thanks

Its almost always shipped to house, so sometimes you need to pay shipping. But it has happened where people will order with shipping and then free shipping is offered shortly there after. Its a gamble ordering online just as much as it is waiting in line. You can read the horror stories were people have ordered to never receive the product becuase quota couldn't be filled, or someone got free shipping by waiting, or the page wasn't loading properly and missed out on a deal. Im not saying this WILL happen. Im just saying its a gamble either way. You could very well likly have no issues. I've waited in line at Bestbuy and seen the items come up available to buy online but I choose to still wait in line. Did that last year and managed to snag some of there secret sale items. So ehh.

Best sure fire way, wait in line and get your wifi on and order online while in line :-p

Is anyone Else disappointed that Walmart does not have a netbook in their Ad? I know they have a laptop, but I was wanting a netbook to travel with instead of my laptop. Do you think they might add one to their online only specials or Saturday special? I am deciding whether to fight the crowd at BB or waiting for Cyber Monday

They have a Crowd Saver deal on their Facebook. Acer ONE for $179, same as Radio Shack on BF, if they get 5000 "Likes". I think I will get that one instead of trying for the BB one online for BF.

Just a quick word of warning on the Apads (Android tablets)...pay particular attention to the version of Android that the tablet has. Most of the very inexpensive ones are running 1.5 or 1.6 versus the newer 2.1 and 2.2. From my understanding you are limited in the Android Market as to what apps you can download if you run an older version. Also, from some quick searching to upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1 is VERY involved and not recommended unless you have a high skill level.

They have a Crowd Saver deal on their Facebook. Acer ONE for $179, same as Radio Shack on BF, if they get 5000 "Likes". I think I will get that one instead of trying for the BB one online for BF.

Does this mean they will offer it if they get 5000 likes on FB? I'm sorry I have only had one cup of coffee this morning and am easily confused :)

Does this mean they will offer it if they get 5000 likes on FB? I'm sorry I have only had one cup of coffee this morning and am easily confused :)

Yup, if they get 5,000 "likes", which they will, they will have it online for $178. No word on exactly when or how many they will have.

Yup, if they get 5,000 "likes", which they will, they will have it online for $178. No word on exactly when or how many they will have.

That's pretty awesome. I went to their FB page and saw that they got the "likes" they wanted. That would make my day to be able to get one of those. Then I wouldn't have to stand in line somewhere else :)

That's pretty awesome. I went to their FB page and saw that they got the "likes" they wanted. That would make my day to be able to get one of those. Then I wouldn't have to stand in line somewhere else :)

Yup. I will try to post back when they go on sale. :)

I need some help here. What do you think of the Android Tablet for sale in the Kmart BF ad? To use it what would I need extra for it. I want to use it as an ereader and also to be able to get online when I am out so I dont miss any deals on Gottadeal;) I am new to this tablet stuff and dont really understand it, but if I can combine both those things then I think for me it would be better than getting a separate stand alone ereader.

Thanks