Official Black Friday NETBOOK & TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

i ordered it for 7 yr old dd. She just plays games on it from nick.com and such. figure for a starter netbook it's ok right?

For a starter netbook, it's OK. It can browse simple web pages and email, and that's about it. But ya mentioned wantin' your DD to play games on nick.com (Nick Arcade/Nick Jr). I noticed they require both Adobe Shockwave and Flash to play those games. The $98 netbook with Windows CE is iffy, at best, to be able to play Flash or Shockwave content. Ya might be able to find a lite version of those Adobe plugins, but she still might not be able to play games on that site. Think of browsin' web sites on Window CE netbooks like tryin' to browse usin' a cellphone web browser. It'd be pretty stripped down.

Not to mention ya won't be able to install your own programs like educational software and kids games. :( Just tryin' to let'cha know what you're in for with that mini netbook, Ya get what'cha pay for.

Edited by stationchief

I would not bother with any of them that have Windows CE. I agree with stationchef that there WILL be better deals on BF. Even the one they had at I think Office Max last year was a way better machine for $149. I'm sure you will be able to get a netbook that has a name that we have heard of (like Acer), Windows XP or 7 Starter, Flash and more of what you need for around $100. I just don't anyone kicking them selves when BF rolls around and they could have got a way better deal! ;)

For those of you looking for netbooks, I came across this and maybe it will help some of you. I am not very computer savvy, but it's worth taking a look. Hope it helps.;)

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=VSLVL760-4GB

That's the same one that was mentioned earlier, and the one we're talkin' about avoiding.

OK, if anyone's considerin' one of these uber-cheap mini netbooks that range around the $98 price tag, please read the specs very carefully. A few key features that should tip ya off about it are the 'Windows CE' OS (it will not run standard Windows programs), ARM processor (again, a processor that's designed for cellphones and PDAs and not for programs you'd find on your desktop/laptop), 4 GB Flash Memory (this is not memory as in terms of computer memory, this is flash memory used in place of a hard drive for storin' software), and 64-128 MB RAM (ever try to do anythin' on a PC with that little memory?) just to name a few. These will not run standard Windows programs (most don't let'cha install your own software anyways), or run Flash or Shockwave online content (no online gaming, but there is a lite version that allows ya to view some YouTube content) among other issues.

Now, if you're lookin' for a netbook that can do all that, look for ones with either Windows XP/Windows 7 Starter/Linux as it's OS, at least 1 GB of memory, an Atom processor, and maybe a brand name you've heard of before. Those are the ones that've been bouncin' around the $200-300 price tag recently. But don't worry. I'm pretty certain they'll drop way down for BF.

I'm not sayin' those mini netbooks are completely worthless. Just don't want anyone suddenly surprised when ya find out ya can't do anythin' with it that ya wanted it to do. Ya get what'cha pay for. At least, until BF. ;)

Hmm. Maybe I should write up a guide to all these mini-netbooks, netbooks, laptops, and desktops that're gonna be commin' out. Just a lil' somethin' to help everyone decide what's best. Might be a good idea. :yup:

That's the same one that was mentioned earlier, and the one we're talkin' about avoiding.

OK, if anyone's considerin' one of these uber-cheap mini netbooks that range around the $98 price tag, please read the specs very carefully. A few key features that should tip ya off about it are the 'Windows CE' OS (it will not run standard Windows programs), ARM processor (again, a processor that's designed for cellphones and PDAs and not for programs you'd find on your desktop/laptop), 4 GB Flash Memory (this is not memory as in terms of computer memory, this is flash memory used in place of a hard drive for storin' software), and 64-128 MB RAM (ever try to do anythin' on a PC with that little memory?) just to name a few. These will not run standard Windows programs (most don't let'cha install your own software anyways), or run Flash or Shockwave online content (no online gaming, but there is a lite version that allows ya to view some YouTube content) among other issues.

Now, if you're lookin' for a netbook that can do all that, look for ones with either Windows XP/Windows 7 Starter/Linux as it's OS, at least 1 GB of memory, an Atom processor, and maybe a brand name you've heard of before. Those are the ones that've been bouncin' around the $200-300 price tag recently. But don't worry. I'm pretty certain they'll drop way down for BF.

I'm not sayin' those mini netbooks are completely worthless. Just don't want anyone suddenly surprised when ya find out ya can't do anythin' with it that ya wanted it to do. Ya get what'cha pay for. At least, until BF. ;)

Hmm. Maybe I should write up a guide to all these mini-netbooks, netbooks, laptops, and desktops that're gonna be commin' out. Just a lil' somethin' to help everyone decide what's best. Might be a good idea. :yup:

YES! Many people are confused about all these different machines! Oh, and can you add that Laptops and Notebooks are the same thing?! ;)

YES! Many people are confused about all these different machines! Oh, and can you add that Laptops and Notebooks are the same thing?! ;)

Heh! I'll be sure to squeeze that in there somehow. I can see the techs at Best Buy shakin' their heads as the consumer argues 'But I don't want a notebook! I said I want a LAPTOP!!' :D

thanks for that. I've been meaning to google the reason for the name difference. It's one of those things that irks me when having to try to explain to people that they are the same beast when they argue can't be. The CVS NETBOOK is on the front page of ad this week again.

Edited by tinkrbel
correction.no laptop :)

thanks for that. I've been meaning to google the reason for the name difference. It's one of those things that irks me when having to try to explain to people that they are the same beast when they argue can't be. The CVS laptop is on the front page of ad this week again.

Ahem. That's a netbook, not a laptop. Sheesh! I got a lotta work to do to teach these people. :tongue1:

Hahaha!

When are we getting the dedicated threads for computers and stuff?

Likely to be very soon. That's up to Good ol' Brad.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if we should have a separate dedicated thread for laptops and one for netbooks. Just to keep 'em separate from each other and hopefully cause as little confusion as possible between the two.

The answer is probably yes. The question is, do you really want a $99 netbook? For most people, I think the answer is no. Right now, you can get a Win7/10hr netbook at Staples with a trade in. This is much better for most people than the $100 toys. I'm hoping these come down to $200 for BF.

Likely to be very soon. That's up to Good ol' Brad.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if we should have a separate dedicated thread for laptops and one for netbooks. Just to keep 'em separate from each other and hopefully cause as little confusion as possible between the two.

Yes, there should be a Desktop thread, a Netbook thread and a Laptop/Notebook thread. :) I will try to help as much as I can. :)

Then... there is the rumor of Google's tablet ..... if that is true then I would say that might will become the hotest computer/laptop item that is going to show up. The rumor is , it will be release on BF... Oh the frenzy.... :eek:

Yup. Apparently, that rumor is gonna become a reality the mornin' of BF. As if folks need another reason to camp out at the front of the line. Well, I guess that means more of a chance for me to get that cheap laptop. :D

Yup. Apparently, that rumor is gonna become a reality the mornin' of BF. As if folks need another reason to camp out at the front of the line. Well, I guess that means more of a chance for me to get that cheap laptop. :D

Ya for cheap netbooks cuz no one will want them, except me! :) Guess they should add a Tablet thread too. ;)

Quick Question:

I wouldnt have known the Win CE w/out this thread so TY...a friend is looking at netbooks for her daughter. Is windows 7 starter fully functional? Where she will be able to use it for online (kids) gaming? It isnt like she is looking to play halo or anything...club penguin...webkinz...and similar

Quick Question:

I wouldnt have known the Win CE w/out this thread so TY...a friend is looking at netbooks for her daughter. Is windows 7 starter fully functional? Where she will be able to use it for online (kids) gaming? It isnt like she is looking to play halo or anything...club penguin...webkinz...and similar

That's pretty much what DS would be using his for too. Windows 7 Stater is a good start but you need to look at memory and processor speed too.

Quick Question:

Windows 7 Starter and Windows XP netbooks will be able to play online Flash stuff like Club Penguin and so forth. Typically, they have at least a gig of RAM and a decent (Intel Atom) processor. The main reasons why Flash games won't work with CE netbooks is because of the horrid, unsupported processor (ARM-based) and that Flash doesn't fully support the CE OS. It's a palm pilot/cellphone processor and OS, which is not designed for a laptop. Butt hey, it's dirt cheap. :tongue1:

That's the same mini netbook we were discussin' earlier ... no online gaming or flash content, no programs, yada, yada. Just simple web surfing of basic web sites and that's it. Ya get what'cha pay for. Still, with these droppin' down to less than $100 this year, I can't wait to see how much a mini netbook is gonna go for on BF.

isn't that what a netbook is? just for simple web surfing?

Well, yes and no. ;) How's that for an answer for ya?

Dependin' on what type of netbook ya buy will make a difference whether ya can do more than that. The much less expensive mini netbooks (like the one ya posted) can surf basic pages without Flash content. Think of it like you're tryin' to view your favorite web site on a cell phone's web browser. However, the more expensive Windows XP/Windows 7 starter netbooks can take full advantage of everythin' the internet has to offer (can view Flash content like online games and surf Youtube videos), can install other programs (Windows CE ones can't do that, all their programs have to be online) and even have webcams. All depends specifically what'cha wanna do with it.

Can a netbook run programs like Office and can u use an external DVD drive with it? i am not exactly sure the difference between netbooks and laptops (other than size). i am thinking about getting one. I would use it for the internet, occasionally playing simple games, and for programs like office and family tree maker. Would a netbook be suitable for that?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the netbook on Woot.com worth it? I was hoping to get one under $250, but I am torn and obviously need to do more research. 5 hours doesn't seem like a very long time - and the processor may give fits when online gaming??? It is for my 7 y/o to do online gaming - would this work?

Asus Eee PC 8.9” Netbook Tablet PC

CPU & Chipset: Intel Atom Z520 @ 1.33GHz

Memory: DDR2 SO-DIMM 1GB, 1 Slot, upgradable to 2GB

Hybrid Storage: 32GB SSD internal

Display: 8.9" TFT active matrix, LED-Backlit, Resistive Touch Panel, Widescreen

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Dimensions: 6.5” x 9” x 1” (W x L x D)

Battery: Li-polymer Battery (up to 5 hours)

Is the netbook on Woot.com worth it? I was hoping to get one under $250, but I am torn and obviously need to do more research. 5 hours doesn't seem like a very long time - and the processor may give fits when online gaming??? It is for my 7 y/o to do online gaming - would this work?

Asus Eee PC 8.9” Netbook Tablet PC

CPU & Chipset: Intel Atom Z520 @ 1.33GHz

Memory: DDR2 SO-DIMM 1GB, 1 Slot, upgradable to 2GB

Hybrid Storage: 32GB SSD internal

Display: 8.9" TFT active matrix, LED-Backlit, Resistive Touch Panel, Widescreen

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Dimensions: 6.5” x 9” x 1” (W x L x D)

Battery: Li-polymer Battery (up to 5 hours)

Actually the specs on this sounds pretty good. Windows 7, 1Gb Memory & 32Gb Hard Drive. As a self proclaimed Tekkie, I would TOTALLY buy this. HP has the same specs on it's website for $279. The HP screen is 10 inches though. Nevertheless, the Woot one is a nice start in my opinion. But personally, I'm waiting for the prices to go down further nearer the holidays. But these are the EXACT specs I'm looking for! Edited by Tarmax4
spelling