Official Black Friday LAPTOP COMPUTER Discussion Thread

Brad

What is the likelihood I will be able to get a decent laptop online on black friday? I'm debating going ahead and buying something instead of waiting. I'm a big HP fan and would liek to get either the 499 HP at Best Buy or the 349 HP at AAFES but I didn't know if they would be available online or if I would have a chance of even getting it.

I'm debating that $270 Toshiba from Shopdiscover but am not sure how the memory is on the item b/c all my computers always wind up saying low memory and am not really sure about Toshiba's.

I may have been wrong about the Toshiba laptop getting 10% back. I went to buy a blu-ray player from best buy this morning and shopdiscover still shows 5%. In years past, they bumped to 10% when shopdiscover doubled cashback for the holidays, but maybe not this year. This is what is listed, FYI...

Dell 10% Cashback Bonus

HSN 10% Cashback Bonus

Kohl's 10% Cashback Bonus

Microsoft Store 10% Cashback Bonus

Sears 10% Cashback Bonus

Apple Store 5% Cashback Bonus Free shipping on all orders over $50!

Best Buy 5% Cashback Bonus

Circuit City 5% Cashback Bonus

CompUSA 5% Cashback Bonus

Crutchfield.com 5% Cashback Bonus

HP Home 5% Cashback Bonus

iTunes 5% Cashback Bonus

Lenovo 5% Cashback Bonus

Office Depot 5% Cashback Bonus

OfficeMax 5% Cashback Bonus Free shipping on orders of $50 or more

Sony Style 5% Cashback Bonus

Staples 5% Cashback Bonus Free shipping on most orders over $50

Target 5% Cashback Bonus

Walmart 5% Cashback Bonus

Here's a good deal on a decent laptop with no lines...

Go to ShopDiscover.com, sign in, find Best Buy, and click Shop Now. Search for C655-S5082 and buy it. You will get $30 back from Discover card. For $270, you will have a very decent laptop...

What's Included

•Toshiba Satellite Laptop / Intel® Celeron® Processor / 15.6" Display / 2GB Memory / 250GB Hard Drive

•6-cell lithium-ion battery

•65W AC adapter

•Intel® Celeron® processor 900 Features an 800MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 2.2GHz processor speed.

•2GB DDR3 memory For multitasking power, expandable to 4GB.

•Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.

•15.6" TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display With TruBrite technology and 1366 x 768 resolution offers easy navigation and delivers intense detail and clarity. Native support for 720p content.

•250GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm) For fast read/write times.

•Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M Features 128-829MB dynamically allocated shared video memory for lush images and intense detail.

•Media reader Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, miniSD and MultiMediaCard formats.

•2 high-speed USB 2.0 ports For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

•Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n) Connect to the Internet on the go.

•Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.

•Weighs 5.5 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin For easy portability. Built-in keypad for efficient numeral entry.

•Long battery life Of up to 4 hours and 35 minutes to give you more time away from an outlet.

•Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled Provides a stable computing platform.

This is a good deal. My partner bought almost this identical computer a couple months back for $349. It works fine (I wouldn't try gaming on it), and for $270, that would be hard to beat.

Love the "5400rpm for fast read/write times" ha ha ha

Honestly? For a system drive, 5400 is probably gonna be fine for most purposes, particularly if your processor is a Celeron 900mHz. I wouldn't get a drive that speed for media storage, and I wouldn't want it as the main drive in my i5 desktop, but 5400rpm drives do have their place.

This is my first post on here but I am a gottadeal fanatic!!! I have been searching for a good laptop at a good price. I want an i5 to take advantage of the new technology. Office Depot has the hp dm4-1162 for $550 after $50 rebate. Office Max has an Acer for $499. They are both about the same, Acer has a larger screen and larger hd. Hp offers more tech stuff which I love. Which one do you suggest??? I am leaning toward the hp but I have read reviews and this new touchpad they use has gotten a lot of Mixed reviews. Has anyone used the new hp's with the touchpad?? What do you think?? Thanks guys!

I haven't looked at the specs for those particular two computers, but if they're both i5 machines, I'd always pick the HP as a general rule.

Laptops are excluded from teh 5% as well because I just went to get one and it said that so I'm looking to go through another site.

I may have been wrong about the Toshiba laptop getting 10% back. I went to buy a blu-ray player from best buy this morning and shopdiscover still shows 5%. In years past, they bumped to 10% when shopdiscover doubled cashback for the holidays, but maybe not this year. This is what is listed, FYI...

Dell 10% Cashback Bonus

HSN 10% Cashback Bonus

Kohl's 10% Cashback Bonus

Microsoft Store 10% Cashback Bonus

Sears 10% Cashback Bonus

Apple Store 5% Cashback Bonus Free shipping on all orders over $50!

Best Buy 5% Cashback Bonus

Circuit City 5% Cashback Bonus

CompUSA 5% Cashback Bonus

Crutchfield.com 5% Cashback Bonus

HP Home 5% Cashback Bonus

iTunes 5% Cashback Bonus

Lenovo 5% Cashback Bonus

Office Depot 5% Cashback Bonus

OfficeMax 5% Cashback Bonus Free shipping on orders of $50 or more

Sony Style 5% Cashback Bonus

Staples 5% Cashback Bonus Free shipping on most orders over $50

Target 5% Cashback Bonus

Walmart 5% Cashback Bonus

I am looking at the HP i3 in the BB ad it says its 7200rpm ($499 on BF) there is also a Samsung on their website i3 with a blu ray that will work out to about $80 more that one says 5400rpm ($729-$150 on BF) . There is also a Toshiba ($449 on BF) Putting the links below. Can someone tell me which is a better one. I like the Samsung because of the blu ray. It will be for me. I surf, email, pictures write some word documents. I will be going back to school for Medical Transcriptionist/Billing & Coding so will eventually be doing a lot of typing. If none of these would work with the Transcriptions programs, once I am finished with school I can always get another computer dedicated to that. I get so confused reading all the different specs etc. Thanks for any and all help.

Toshiba

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Helios+Black/1446192.p?id=1218259763872&skuId=1446192&st=L655D-S5109&cp=1&lp=1

HP

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Midnight+Blue/1379051.p?id=1218254498629&skuId=1379051&st=DV6-3127DX&cp=1&lp=1

Samsung

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/Red/1251609.p?skuId=1251609&ref=10&loc=01&id=1218243227128

I am looking at the HP i3 in the BB ad it says its 7200rpm ($499 on BF) there is also a Samsung on their website i3 with a blu ray that will work out to about $80 more that one says 5400rpm ($729-$150 on BF) . There is also a Toshiba ($449 on BF) Putting the links below. Can someone tell me which is a better one. I like the Samsung because of the blu ray. It will be for me. I surf, email, pictures write some word documents. I will be going back to school for Medical Transcriptionist/Billing & Coding so will eventually be doing a lot of typing. If none of these would work with the Transcriptions programs, once I am finished with school I can always get another computer dedicated to that. I get so confused reading all the different specs etc. Thanks for any and all help.

Toshiba

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Helios+Black/1446192.p?id=1218259763872&skuId=1446192&st=L655D-S5109&cp=1&lp=1

HP

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Midnight+Blue/1379051.p?id=1218254498629&skuId=1379051&st=DV6-3127DX&cp=1&lp=1

Samsung

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/Red/1251609.p?skuId=1251609&ref=10&loc=01&id=1218243227128

Any of these would be fine for you. If your funds are limited, just pick the cheapest one. If not - Toshiba is a must if you ask me.

Toshiba

HP

Samsung

Racer, for those prices why not either get the i5 Acer from OfficeMax for $499. Or the i5 HP for $550 after $50 mail in rebate. The processor in either of those computers are better than the ones you listed.

Racer, for those prices why not either get the i5 Acer from OfficeMax for $499. Or the i5 HP for $550 after $50 mail in rebate. The processor in either of those computers are better than the ones you listed.

Would love to try the OfficeMax ones but we dont have an Officemax within 2 hours from where I live, plus we have about $500 in BB gift cards to put towards a laptop.

I have a question, but forgive me if this is in the wrong place (I don't think a dedicated thread is necessary and I don't think posing this question under the thread of the ad for which this question applies would receive enough attention). Does anyone have a good idea of how early I would have to line up @ OfficeMax in order to get the $499.99 i5 Acer laptop (understanding of course that the store doesn't open until 7am (unless I am mistaken on this one))?

I have a question, but forgive me if this is in the wrong place (I don't think a dedicated thread is necessary and I don't think posing this question under the thread of the ad for which this question applies would receive enough attention). Does anyone have a good idea of how early I would have to line up @ OfficeMax in order to get the $499.99 i5 Acer laptop (understanding of course that the store doesn't open until 7am (unless I am mistaken on this one))?

I would probably get there no later than 2 or 3. There will probably still be a line in front of you but I suspect the $500 laptops won't go as fast as the cheaper ones. Have you checked out the hp i5 at office max?? That one and this Acer are the two I am looking at. I felt the hp was better quality after going and checking them both out.

Walmart has an eMachines for $198 and rumor has it that BB will have an unadvertised one also.

Interesting, I was going to Walmart for that $198 laptop hoping to pick up a couple. But even BB has them, I will probably going to Walmart knowing the fact that

they will be onen since midnight which means the line could be inside of the store. Anybody can confirm this? and do you guys think WM's $198 is cheapest laptop

you will find for this year(excluding those netbooks and small stuff)?

The best touchpads, hands down are on the Lenovo(IBM) thinkpads, I sell refurb laptops and the Thinkpad touchpads are the smoothest most precise ones i have ever seen, and although they are higher priced, the Thinkpads will take about any abuse, due to the higher quality materials and construction of them.

Like I have said before I have never bought a laptop before....

I cannot go on Thursday/Friday and wait in line....will shop online.

Is this a good deal???

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=15223369

Thanks!

It's not bad, its just hard for me to say it's a good deal with so many other better bargains going on during Black Friday. Sorry, thats IMHO.

Edited by balla01
incorrect spelling

Thanks for the opinions...they are for my girls and I was going to get one pink and one blue so they could tell them apart. I want to use my bill me later account that I already have so want to shop at WM or HP. That is why I haven't looked anywhere else.

I think you can do better jdrgr. I hope color isn't the reason you are looking at these. You can distinquish with a $5 sleeve and a custom wallpaper.

It'd be easier to help you find the right computer if you talked a bit about how the computers would be used. What is important? Long batter life? Are there any must have games? Applications? How big of a screen do you want?

Didn't think about that...duh.

One is for my 17 year old, high school senior, will be going away to college. 2nd is for my 12 year old. Will be used for internet and word processing mainly. Want at least 15" screen. I don't know a lot about the technical stuff but I think I need at least dual core from what I have tried to educate myself on. Thanks for trying to help!