Official Black Friday HDTV Discussion Thread

Brad

Both the Hitachi and RCA seem to be nice. Be careful of the "LED" reference on the Hitachi. It is an LCD TV (with LED edge-lighting). The RCA supports 1080i whereas the Hitachi only does 720P.

I plan on trying to snap up the RCA as a 2nd monitor (and TV). If I get skunked out of one, I'll try for the Hitachi @ Radio Shack.

I ordered the Hitachi from Radio Shack Thursday afternoon online. What do you mean about "LED edge-lighting" I don't care about the 1080i vs 720p since it is just going on my kitchen counter and that only has the cable jack so I don't think there would be any difference there. Thanks

LED and LCD TVs have LCD displays. What we call LEDs are LCDs lit by LEDs instead of fluorescent lamps. In theory, the LED lit LCDs should have darker darks since there isn't a lamp pushing through, but YMMV. I've seen some very good LCDs and some not so good LEDs. Only one thing is certain -- plasmas look better than LCSs no matter how they are lit. I love the Insignia 42" plasma at best buy. Search AVS for the model and you will love it too.