Official Black Friday HDTV Discussion Thread

Brad

I'm really not impressed with the HDTV prices for Black Friday. I went to Ultimate Electronics a couple of weeks ago and got a 40" Samsung LCD 1080p 120Hz for 588.00. That is cheaper than anything I've seen for black friday, when you look at the specs.

I disagree. Get a tv that looks good and has the features you like in an off brand at bestbuy then get an inexpensive service plan. I have a Samsung in my living room, but got 32" dynex sets for the bedrooms. saved a bundle, love the sets.

We got smaller Dynex sets for our kids rooms and we love them! They have excellent reviews. Only brand I would definitely stay away from are Vizios. My sister's died after 4 yrs. They are notorious for having the picture go completely black after the warranty is up, a known problem to the company yet they won't do anything to fix it.

My DH and I are looking to buy a 32-42 inch LCD TV. Looks like they have plenty to choose from this year but I'm getting overwhelmed with all the specs that come with it. Can anyone give me their opinion on what would be the best one to choose? (Note: Would like to stay away from generic brands)

Samsung or LG are the best in these ads. WHen our local tv store quit selling zenith, he said lg was an excellent brand. Samsung is a step up and I am getting one the big ones for xmas. Bought 2 22 inch for the bedrooms in the spring and love them. Stay away from Dynex, Vizio, etc., although the dish network people told me to buy vizio , said it was walmart's store brand. I told him he was nuts.

One possible suggestion for researching TV's...you can purchase a one month online subscription to Consumer Reports for $5.95 and access all thier current HDTV ratings. I have found it very useful in my current search. Just make sure you cancel before 30 days...because they will autorenew each monthly billing period.

This is not to say that people on here don't give good advice...but each person just gives their own opinion based on their individual experience/research....and this certainly does not make them wrong. However, Consumer Reports findings are generally based on extensive testing and overall warranty claims for specific units/brands. I would agree that Samsung and LG are generally the best overall, but even for specific units under these brands you will find negative reviews.

Regarding some of the comments on Vizio TV's. I am considering one because they get consistently high ratings from Consumer Reports. They are not just a "Walmart" TV. They are sold through many channels and are one of the fastest growing brands. I would not consider them an offbrand like Dynex, Curtis etc. Vizio has definitely gained market share in the last few years mainly because of the lower price point. The jury is still out on L-T reliability.

One possible suggestion for researching TV's...you can purchase a one month online subscription to Consumer Reports for $5.95 and access all thier current HDTV ratings. I have found it very useful in my current search. Just make sure you cancel before 30 days...because they will autorenew each monthly billing period.

This is not to say that people on here don't give good advice...but each person just gives their own opinion based on their individual experience/research....and this certainly does not make them wrong. However, Consumer Reports findings are generally based on extensive testing and overall warranty claims for specific units/brands. I would agree that Samsung and LG are generally the best overall, but even for specific units under these brands you will find negative reviews.

Regarding some of the comments on Vizio TV's. I am considering one because they get consistently high ratings from Consumer Reports. They are not just a "Walmart" TV. They are sold through many channels and are one of the fastest growing brands. I would not consider them an offbrand like Dynex, Curtis etc. Vizio has definitely gained market share in the last few years mainly because of the lower price point. The jury is still out on L-T reliability.

Or you can check out the magazine for free at your local library! :) (I'm a librarian)

Any thoughts on the sanui brand. I was looking at the 19" that is on sale at WM for DD room.

The Sansui is almost certainly someone else's set, rebranded. If you do a search for the model number, you should be able to find out what model it actually is, and research it from there.

If I were gonna get a plasma set this year (I'm not; [insert sad face here]), I'd stick with Samsung or Panasonic, and MAYBE a Vizio if the price is right.

Speaking of right prices, a good rule of thumb for 720p sets (and, honestly, unless you sit REALLY close to the TV, you don't need a 1080p set for anything under 32 inches) is: Normal, everyday pricing should be about $10/inch diagonal measurement. That's for name-brand sets.

For 1080p, it gets a little more fluid. Personally, for plasma, I wouldn't go for more than about $15-18/inch.

Keep in mind that, for Black Friday, you should look for prices lower than the above.

Looking for a 40 inch for the living room...wanted a lcd 120 hz/1080p....really like Sony or Samsung...don't see anything special in most of the bf ads. I've already got the 55 in the basement, just need a little one now...most ads in this size are only the 60 hz. Edited by law

I was going to go after the Samsung 47" LED w/BluRay Player at Best Buy but found a better deal at Sears Sunday. I got the Sony 46" LED 1080p 120Hz for $899 with no standing in 10 degree weather! I still gotta come up with something for Black Friday but I won't be doing to line waiting this year!

I love the charts which list out the tvs, details, prices, etc. I am confused, however, about the column titled ports. Can anyone please tell me what HDMI, composite and component ports are and how many I should be looking for in a 40" TV? I was looking at the Target 40" for my kids use for a Wii, but they are also getting an Xbox Kinect and the TV would have Fios cable, too.

Any port help is appreciated.

I love the charts which list out the tvs, details, prices, etc. I am confused, however, about the column titled ports. Can anyone please tell me what HDMI, composite and component ports are and how many I should be looking for in a 40" TV? I was looking at the Target 40" for my kids use for a Wii, but they are also getting an Xbox Kinect and the TV would have Fios cable, too.

I am not a technical person at all, so I hope I dont confuse you anymore. Sadly I am the one who hooks everything up in my house so maybe I can help.

HDMI is for bluray player, HD cable/satellite

component ports would be for WII and xbox and other things like vcr or dvd player

those are the ones I do know. well I hope that is right

I was getting turned off from the 40"Westie too after seeing it only has one hdmi port. Great for the bedroom, but not the living room where dh has a stereo, cable box, bluray, and xbox hooked up to our 32". I have a small house and a small living room, so maybe Ill just find a 22-26" for our bedroom and stick with my 32 for the living room unless I can find a great deal on a 40" with more ports. Dh does not want a plasma because of the energy usage. Yes we are cheap, because we have to be LOL. Edited by Cinnamonhuskies

So, HDMI is a digital connection for any modern device. It can do up to 1080p. Component has each color on a separate wire plus audio right and left. Analog for up to 720p. Composite puts all colors on the same wire and is not HD. Neither is your WII, so you can connect that to a composite connection. XBOX and FIOS should connect HDMI or Component. How many should you get? you could get away with one of each per your post, but look for two or mode HDMI, two or more component. If you have older DVD/VCR/video game, get enough composite connections to serve them until you can upgrade.

I have a nice external switch box. It allows you to put up to 4 different lines into it (S-video, PC, Component, composite, cable), and then push a button to switch between them. It takes and connects all of these lines to the TV via one Component Line. For $5 from a yard sale, I dont have to take the TV off the wall to get behind it each time I add, change, or remove a device, and I have more open connection spots. Just an idea for all of you out there.

Any thoughts on the smaller tvs? I need a 19" for my scrapbook room. It won't be used much, and that is the largest size that will fit in the room nicely. I'm looking at the following:

Kmart Thanksgiving - $139.99 for a RCA 19" LCD

Radio Shack - $149.99 for a Hitachi 19" LED, I'm worried about the minimum 1 per store...but would it be worth another $10 to get a LED?

I have found a few reviews on each one and they seem pretty positive overall and especially good picture quality. Any thoughts or advice? TIA :)

ETA: I'm not really looking at the Walmart 19" as it isn't a name brand and I really don't want to fight about anything this year...yeah I'm getting weak or perhaps just lazy :tongue1:

Any thoughts on what the best purchase is out there for a 40-46inch tv in the $500 range. I was looking at the Insignia at Best Buy, but I'd REALLY rather not have to go to Best Buy to get it. 720p is fine, because I don't use blu-ray. And I'm thinking plasma. So many to choose from.....

Any thoughts on what the best purchase is out there for a 40-46inch tv in the $500 range. I was looking at the Insignia at Best Buy, but I'd REALLY rather not have to go to Best Buy to get it. 720p is fine, because I don't use blu-ray. And I'm thinking plasma. So many to choose from.....

Walmart has 13 Plasma and LCD tvs for under $500 right now, for 40-42 inch. If you don't mind staying in the smaller size of your range you really don't need to fight the crowds for the price point you are looking at. I've been considering the 40" size for a while and Walmart has had some nice prices for at least a couple months on them. You could also probably check out Amazon.com for similar sizing/pricing.

Any thoughts on the smaller tvs? I need a 19" for my scrapbook room. It won't be used much, and that is the largest size that will fit in the room nicely. I'm looking at the following:

Kmart Thanksgiving - $139.99 for a RCA 19" LCD

Radio Shack - $149.99 for a Hitachi 19" LED, I'm worried about the minimum 1 per store...but would it be worth another $10 to get a LED?

I have found a few reviews on each one and they seem pretty positive overall and especially good picture quality. Any thoughts or advice? TIA :)

ETA: I'm not really looking at the Walmart 19" as it isn't a name brand and I really don't want to fight about anything this year...yeah I'm getting weak or perhaps just lazy :tongue1:

Both the Hitachi and RCA seem to be nice. Be careful of the "LED" reference on the Hitachi. It is an LCD TV (with LED edge-lighting). The RCA supports 1080i whereas the Hitachi only does 720P.

I plan on trying to snap up the RCA as a 2nd monitor (and TV). If I get skunked out of one, I'll try for the Hitachi @ Radio Shack.

Just another thought on a way to get a great deal on a TV....

If you have a rewards program through you bank, check out the gift card rewards. Many of them offer eCertificates to Amazon. I exchanged about 23,500 rewards pts for $235 of eCerts last night...which were them IMMEDIATELY emailed to me.

I took these and purchased a 32" LG for my bedroom. It was originally a $450 unit and I got it for $95 out of pocket considering the black friday price, no tax and free shipping. I accomplished all this in 15 minutes from the comfort of my home.

Amazon has a better selection than almost anywhere else...and also offers free return shipping if necessary. My bank rewards (Wells Fargo) also offers eCerts to Crutchfield.

Good Luck.

Both the Hitachi and RCA seem to be nice. Be careful of the "LED" reference on the Hitachi. It is an LCD TV (with LED edge-lighting). The RCA supports 1080i whereas the Hitachi only does 720P.

I plan on trying to snap up the RCA as a 2nd monitor (and TV). If I get skunked out of one, I'll try for the Hitachi @ Radio Shack.

Thanks for the input :) After reading what you said about the LED I ended up deciding on and getting the RCA - I hope you got one too! Kmart was a disorganized mess in electronics, but luckily it worked out.