Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

The DS's seem to go on sale every year in some capacity or another. Last year the DS lites were $98 and there were several places with gift card/game bundle deals for the DSi. I'd expect at the least the same if not a little better (say, a straight up price cut on the DSi) this year. Expect them to be a ticket item, though.

It's November for Japan. I was told by the Japanese game store they won't be selling any to non residents and they require proof of residency.

If that is the case then it sounds like it won't be out in The States till later as why the requirements? Or they just want to make sure residents (who frequent the store more often than some tourist) get a 3DS first

Thanks for that info. I found an article last night that said a Japanese store had leaked the release date to be Nov. 20th, but did not say for sure if it was just Japan or was coming out in US too. I'm guessing April since that is when the DSI and DSI XL was released in the past, along with those stupid Pokemon games. Never March (DS12 birthday), always has to be April.:no: Game Stop does not even have the option to reserve them in their computer yet. Can you reserve them in Japan now?

They went down in price because of the new 3DS that is coming out in Nov. However, one of our kids just traded his DS Lite I got him last Christmas in at Gamestop and got a $60 credit towards a DSI or a DSI XL :) So price drop, plus $60 credit made it a great deal!

Thats what we did also. We traded in 2 DS Lites and tons of games and got a DSI XL and still have about $200 in credit which may go towards either a new Xbox360 or a PS3

I wouldn't recommend Call of Duty for an 11 year old. I'm an avid gamer, and a mother, and nothing grates on my nerves more than hearing little kids on a game rated Mature. Halo is also rated M, so again.. not 11 year old friendly, in my opinion. Even if your kid isn't the one on there shouting profanities every other breath, rest assured he'll be exposed to it at some point in time or another. There's plenty of games rated E10+ and T for kids in that age group. Also consider arcade games that you download from the Xbox Live marketplace. These are often inexpensive ($5-$15 each) and have multiplayer as well as single player campaigns. Plants vs Zombies, Zombie Apocalypse, Peggle, Tower Bloxx Deluxe, Splosion Man, all great games that're more kid friendly than Halo and Call of Duty. Plus you can get lucky every now and then and catch them 50% off.

I wouldn't recommend Call of Duty for an 11 year old. I'm an avid gamer, and a mother, and nothing grates on my nerves more than hearing little kids on a game rated Mature. Halo is also rated M, so again.. not 11 year old friendly, in my opinion. Even if your kid isn't the one on there shouting profanities every other breath, rest assured he'll be exposed to it at some point in time or another. There's plenty of games rated E10+ and T for kids in that age group. Also consider arcade games that you download from the Xbox Live marketplace. These are often inexpensive ($5-$15 each) and have multiplayer as well as single player campaigns. Plants vs Zombies, Zombie Apocalypse, Peggle, Tower Bloxx Deluxe, Splosion Man, all great games that're more kid friendly than Halo and Call of Duty. Plus you can get lucky every now and then and catch them 50% off.

Totally agree with ya on that one. DH has a friend that is the manager at our local Gamestop and he told DH not to play these two games or Modern Warfare in front of DS12. He is a avid gamer and said he could barely stomach some of the graphics in these games himself. DS12 has had the Xbox 360 for 2 years now, and there are lots of really good games that you can get for this age group. He really enjoys the Naruto and Dragon Ball Z games (He loves fighting games, and these shows are very popular with this age group). A new Naruto game is due out 10/12 just in case your interested. It is called Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. He also enjoys the Legos Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones 2 and Legos Batman games. DH actually likes the Legos games himself. So much so that I bought him Star Wars complete set for his PS3 (which they have had loads of fun with). DS is getting the Xbox 360 Kinect that is due to be released Nov. 4 for Christmas to go with the 360. Sortof works like the Wii only you don't need to use a controller. It picks up your body motion.

Edited by Kim3498
Added info.

It's so hard with the violence and maturity level of all the games. That's why we waited to try the Xbox system. My guys love the racing, Madden, and martial arts games. We always have them adjust the gore level so it doesn't look like a big bloodbath. We are going to try Halo and the Call of duty series. My brother can play these with them. I guess it all depends on your kids maturity level. My soon to be 13 yr old(10/19) is very mature but the soon to be 12yr(1/13) old isn't. He likes anything Marvel comics. I have picked up the world tour band kit and a Dj hero set. I also have been browsing Amazon and Gamestop for used titles. The newer titles are so high. I'm thinking a gift card so they can pick 1 new title themselves and whatever else we have gathered by then. Hopefully there will be some good game buys on BF.

A new Marvel game comes out for 360 11/09. It is called Marvel Super Hero Squad. Anybody need any release dates for new games your wondering about? I have the most current list with release dates from Gamestop printed yesterday, if so.

Edited by Kim3498

I'm heavily anticipating Kinect. And as far as that goes, there's a lot of family friendly games lined up for that. Sports, Adventures, Joy ride, Dance Central, Kinectimals, etc. There's no reason to throw a kid into M rated games simply because you're buying them an Xbox 360, especially given the sheer number of family friendly alternative titles. Some more titles would be Viva Pinata (plus Trouble in Paradise and Party Animals, which are also Viva Pinata titles), Banjo and Kazooie, Legend of Spyro, Eternal Sonata (although not violent this does deal with death and surrealism, so that's something to consider).

It is certainly not my place to tell another parent what games their kid can and can't play, but I do wish more parents would be smart about the rating system. It is there for a reason.

I agree with you. My kids play very very few rated M games and that is only after we preview it first. They are not even allowed to play many games rated T. Many of the times a game is rated M is for blood and gore. They have jaws for instance and it says on the back rated M for blood and gore. So they can play that. They can also play very few war games as long as their is no bad language or sexual comments or scenes. My boys are 12 and so far they have not gotten upset with us over this issue. When we tell them they can't play a game or buy a certain game we tell them of another game that they can play. We also explain why they can't play it.

I had wondered if they were going to come out w/more kid friendly games for the kinect. We have a Wii and we love that majority of their games are fine even for my 3 year old.

I agree with you. My kids play very very few rated M games and that is only after we preview it first. They are not even allowed to play many games rated T. Many of the times a game is rated M is for blood and gore. They have jaws for instance and it says on the back rated M for blood and gore. So they can play that. They can also play very few war games as long as their is no bad language or sexual comments or scenes. My boys are 12 and so far they have not gotten upset with us over this issue. When we tell them they can't play a game or buy a certain game we tell them of another game that they can play. We also explain why they can't play it.

I had wondered if they were going to come out w/more kid friendly games for the kinect. We have a Wii and we love that majority of their games are fine even for my 3 year old.

Most of the games that I have a list of coming out for the Kinect seem to be kid friendly. The game that comes with it is alot of fun. I sat down and started to check ratings on them yesterday after reserving it. Unfortunately there are not a whole lot of games out for it, but that is always a problem when a new system comes out. DS had a ball playing with the demo yesterday.

I'm heavily anticipating Kinect. And as far as that goes, there's a lot of family friendly games lined up for that. Sports, Adventures, Joy ride, Dance Central, Kinectimals, etc. There's no reason to throw a kid into M rated games simply because you're buying them an Xbox 360, especially given the sheer number of family friendly alternative titles. Some more titles would be Viva Pinata (plus Trouble in Paradise and Party Animals, which are also Viva Pinata titles), Banjo and Kazooie, Legend of Spyro, Eternal Sonata (although not violent this does deal with death and surrealism, so that's something to consider).

It is certainly not my place to tell another parent what games their kid can and can't play, but I do wish more parents would be smart about the rating system. It is there for a reason.

Thanks for the advice!! Don't freak out on me here. :)LOL! I was just running off ideas from what has been so heavily advertised as we browse. We usually rent before we buy anyway. I was hoping that some of these rated M games have violence controls under the "options" feature of the game. That's why I threw out some title names. My brother has a PS3 and some of his games have this option. I assumed with this being a similar(but different) system it would be the same. We have a Wii and PS2 with lots of the "Family" style games you have already mentioned. No, we don't just let our kids play or do anything unsupervised. My boys get excellent grades, are well rounded kids and aren't" video zombies". This is why these forums are so great! You get all types of opinions and info. Thanks for the info about the Marvel game we will keep an eye on that.

Totally agree with ya on that one. DH has a friend that is the manager at our local Gamestop and he told DH not to play these two games or Modern Warfare in front of DS12. He is a avid gamer and said he could barely stomach some of the graphics in these games himself. DS12 has had the Xbox 360 for 2 years now, and there are lots of really good games that you can get for this age group. He really enjoys the Naruto and Dragon Ball Z games (He loves fighting games, and these shows are very popular with this age group). A new Naruto game is due out 10/12 just in case your interested. It is called Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. He also enjoys the Legos Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones 2 and Legos Batman games. DH actually likes the Legos games himself. So much so that I bought him Star Wars complete set for his PS3 (which they have had loads of fun with). DS is getting the Xbox 360 Kinect that is due to be released Nov. 4 for Christmas to go with the 360. Sortof works like the Wii only you don't need to use a controller. It picks up your body motion.

Great! These are similar titles they already have for PS2, DS and Wii. I have been browsing Target and I haven't seen many of these "pre-teen" games there. It's either the war games or super kiddie games. They are with me when I go into the Gamestores so I can't look then. I don't want to ask my kids for any suggestions. This is going to be a total surprise. If your 12 year old has any suggestions for games please let me know. Thanks:)

Great! These are similar titles they already have for PS2, DS and Wii. I have been browsing Target and I haven't seen many of these "pre-teen" games there. It's either the war games or super kiddie games. They are with me when I go into the Gamestores so I can't look then. I don't want to ask my kids for any suggestions. This is going to be a total surprise. If your 12 year old has any suggestions for games please let me know. Thanks:)

I know what ya mean. I can't go in any Gamestore without DS right there with me. I reserved the Kinect while he was playing the demo, but I know he knows....Lol. He just trys to let me think he might get a surprise. It's so hard to shop for kids at this age. I will ask him what his favorite games are and which ones he thinks would be most interesting that are coming out and let you know tomorrow. I know the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 that is soon to be released will be the first one named off the list. He has the first part and that is still his favorite game for his 360. Are you looking for older games or new releases? Also wanted to let you know that I got his 360 at a great price from Dell.com. They ran a nice sale about 2 weeks before Thanksgiving, so you might wanta keep a close eye out on them. They actually took $50.00 off the system price (it was the holiday bundle with 2 games) and free shipping. That was far better than any BF deal that year. Course, the deals might be better this year since it has been out longer now.

Edited by Kim3498

Thanks Kim3498! I'm looking for new and old titles. I want to do games that are a bit different from what we have for the family system and will take advantage of the "great graphics card". My boys say it is a totally different system and the games are better. They have been asking for 2 yrs. now. How about Racing games? I'll keep an eye on the Dell site.

Thanks for the advice!! Don't freak out on me here. :)LOL! I was just running off ideas from what has been so heavily advertised as we browse. We usually rent before we buy anyway. I was hoping that some of these rated M games have violence controls under the "options" feature of the game. That's why I threw out some title names. My brother has a PS3 and some of his games have this option. I assumed with this being a similar(but different) system it would be the same. We have a Wii and PS2 with lots of the "Family" style games you have already mentioned. No, we don't just let our kids play or do anything unsupervised. My boys get excellent grades, are well rounded kids and aren't" video zombies". This is why these forums are so great! You get all types of opinions and info. Thanks for the info about the Marvel game we will keep an eye on that.

There'd been a lot more cuss words if I'd freaked out on you. ;) lol The only game you mentioned with a violence control is Call of Duty, and even that's not 'violence control' in the sense that you're talking about so much as it's a "skip a level where you shoot hundreds of civilians and police officers" option. Here's a video of the "No Russian" mission from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Personally, I love the game. But I wouldn't let either of my kids play it unless they were at least 15+. So many parents just hear their kids scream "I want that game" and buy it without considering what the game play may actually entail. The target audience for many "hardcore" games is 18-35 year old males, which means guns, gore, and girls. Something to consider when you're looking at M rated titles, you know?

You asked about racing games, too... And those are generally safe for most age groups. There may be a scantily clad female here or there, but its not too big of a deal. Blur allows online multiplayer with up to 20 other racers at one time. Need for Speed titles are generally pretty safe bets, as well, plus you might even get lucky and find them on sale for Black Friday. Last year we found Need for Speed Shift (a $59.99 game at the time) for just $25. Forza 3 is also popular.

Thanks Kim3498! I'm looking for new and old titles. I want to do games that are a bit different from what we have for the family system and will take advantage of the "great graphics card". My boys say it is a totally different system and the games are better. They have been asking for 2 yrs. now. How about Racing games? I'll keep an eye on the Dell site.

Ok. After talking to DS this is what I have learned. He is not fond of the racing games, he is more of a role playing gamer. He named off some of the games that he really enjoys for me. They are: Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm(surprise, surprise...lol), Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, Sonic Unleashed, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, Naruto the Broken Bond, and Naruto Rise of a Ninja, Dragon Ball Raging Blast, and Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit, and all of the Final Fantasy games. You can find these at Gamestop. You can go to their website and filter what you are looking at in 360 games by clicking on ESRB and scrolling to Teen. They have alot of Teen rated games. I agree with you about Target. They do not have much to choose from. I usually get all of the video games from TRU, Gamestop, or Best Buy.

He added the new Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 ( released 10/12) and Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2(release 10/26) to his Christmas list today, so I figure that those are the 2 he finds most interesting on the new releases. There are lots more kids games due out before Christmas. Here is a list of some more you might consider:

Bakugan Battle Brawlers (10/19)

Ben 10 Ultimate Alien 10/6

DJ Hero 2 10/12

Marvel Super Hero Squad 11/09

Monster Jam 3 11/03

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 11/08

Rock Band 3 10/19

Shaun White Skateboarding 10/19

Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2 10/19

WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2011 10/19

Tony Hawk Shred Bundle 10/19

Edited by Kim3498

WOW! Thanks so much Kim These sound great. I know DS 11 3/4 will love the new Dragon Ball raging blast. Thanks to your son for the wonderful suggestions!

Your welcome. I'm glad you found something on the list that they might like. Keep in mind also to keep an eye on Toysrus sales (if you plan on buying more than one game). They often run deals starting sometime in October (can't remember if it was early in the month or late last year) up until Christmas where you either buy 1 game and get 1 half off, or you buy 2 games and get 1 free. They usually rotate those deals week to week. They also include all the new releases in the sale. This is when I usually pounce. Lol.

Edited by Kim3498

• 4 weeks later...

Santa will likely be bringing a Wii this year. I admit that I don't know much about them - we have been able to avoid video games at my house until now!

As I anxiously watch the BF ads, what sort of bundle or deal should I be looking for? What should be included and what's the max price?

Thanks!

Santa will likely be bringing a Wii this year. I admit that I don't know much about them - we have been able to avoid video games at my house until now!

As I anxiously watch the BF ads, what sort of bundle or deal should I be looking for? What should be included and what's the max price?

Thanks!

good post - this is what I'm looking for as welll. We have had plenty of game systems in our house, but I'm still clueless on the wii. I have a 9 year old that is ready for one I think...

The Wii regular price is $199. There is very rarely a "sale" on them. You will probably find bundles with extra stuff or a gift card. That saying I think Target has it on "sale" right now for $189. I think I saw it online when I went to the website today.

Included with the Wii is one wiimote and one nunchuk. For others to play you will need more wiimotes and nunchuks. There is also the add on wiimotion that you can use for some games. The system also comes with Wii sports. Our family had had the Wii since it came out in 2006 and it is still very popular. I recommend getting rechargeable batteries since the controllers go thru a lot of batteries. I am actually replacing all our rechargeable batteries this year since 1 got corroded.

Some good games that we like are Just Dance (1 and 2) Active Life series, MarioKart, Wii Sports Resort (you need the motionplus for this but when you buy the game it usually comes with one just read the box)

The Wii is a lot of fun and great with families.

Its not a deal if it is from QVC etc. A friend bought his from QVC with all the "extras" and ended up paying over $100 too much LOL He was very anxious to get it and could not wait for me to find him a bundle. After that when he bought a TV he waited for me to find him a deal.

Amazon has good prices on the wiimotes and nuchuks. Also they sometimes have the sports package available which has the extras of the tennis racket, golf clubs etc. I got my package actually on BF from Circuit City when they were around for $2.99. I would watch BB ads and wait for F you never know what stores will have the "extras" you will need.

I will keep an eye out and if I see anything will post herel It wont be hard to get the extras or a bundle deal on BF since the Wii has been around for so long and now there is plenty of supply.

Nintendo 3ds Info from huffing post 9/29

CHIBA, Japan — Nintendo shares tumbled Thursday after the company said its 3DS game machine, packed with glasses-free 3-D technology, won't be ready to go on sale for Christmas, crushing its earnings forecast by more than half.

Nintendo now expects 90 billion yen ($1 billion) in profit for the year through March 2011, down from an initial projection of 200 billion yen ($2.4 billion) profit.

The 3DS will go on sale in February in Japan, and March in Europe and the U.S., missing the year-end shopping season which is a critical time for game-makers to rake in profits.

Kyoto-based Nintendo Co. had promised the 3DS for sometime before April next year, and so the announcement is not technically a delay. But its forecasts had assumed the machine would on be on sale sooner.

Nintendo said on Wednesday that the strong yen, which reduces profits from overseas sales when brought back to Japan, and the timing of the 3DS launch were behind its decision to lower projections for the fiscal year.

Its shares dived 9.2 percent to 2,120 yen in Tokyo trading.

For the year through March 2011, Nintendo expects to sell 23.5 million DS machines, including 4 million 3DS, down from its earlier forecast for 30 million. It sold 27 million DS machines the previous fiscal year.

The latest revision shows that even Nintendo, which has stood up fairly well among Japanese exporters in hard times, is getting battered by the surging yen. Nintendo had counted dollar trading near 95 yen. The dollar has recently dived to near 83 yen.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said 3DS will cost 25,000 yen ($300) in Japan, where it will hit stores Feb. 26. Overseas prices and specific dates will be announced later.

Nintendo 3ds Info from huffing post 9/29

CHIBA, Japan — Nintendo shares tumbled Thursday after the company said its 3DS game machine, packed with glasses-free 3-D technology, won't be ready to go on sale for Christmas, crushing its earnings forecast by more than half.

Nintendo now expects 90 billion yen ($1 billion) in profit for the year through March 2011, down from an initial projection of 200 billion yen ($2.4 billion) profit.

The 3DS will go on sale in February in Japan, and March in Europe and the U.S., missing the year-end shopping season which is a critical time for game-makers to rake in profits.

Kyoto-based Nintendo Co. had promised the 3DS for sometime before April next year, and so the announcement is not technically a delay. But its forecasts had assumed the machine would on be on sale sooner.

Nintendo said on Wednesday that the strong yen, which reduces profits from overseas sales when brought back to Japan, and the timing of the 3DS launch were behind its decision to lower projections for the fiscal year.

Its shares dived 9.2 percent to 2,120 yen in Tokyo trading.

For the year through March 2011, Nintendo expects to sell 23.5 million DS machines, including 4 million 3DS, down from its earlier forecast for 30 million. It sold 27 million DS machines the previous fiscal year.

The latest revision shows that even Nintendo, which has stood up fairly well among Japanese exporters in hard times, is getting battered by the surging yen. Nintendo had counted dollar trading near 95 yen. The dollar has recently dived to near 83 yen.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said 3DS will cost 25,000 yen ($300) in Japan, where it will hit stores Feb. 26. Overseas prices and specific dates will be announced later.

Yea knew about this a while ago and the stores here were kinda shocked and dissapointed. Then again my gut told me they might wait till the yen gets weaker. To launch it now in the USA would be bad business. They would have to sell it for about $350 USD which would be a hard sell considering he poor USA economy. Though why not just launch it here in December?

I mean most stores here are only allowing residents and citizens to buy the 3DS at launch here. They do not want tourists flocking here and buying them all up only to sell them when they get back home.