Anyone start wrapping yet?

momof3luvs1

I know this is a weird question since it is only the end of September but I buy gifts all year round. The bulk of it is done in early November ( toys r us big book), Black Friday, and then some leftovers in December. However, I do have maybe about 20% or so of it done b4 then. I have to buy for so many people, plus I will admit I do go overboard on my kids, dh, and nieces and nephews so I always end up wrapping well over 100 gifts. So my question is for the people who shop a bit earlier like me do you wrap your gifts ahead of time or wait till closer to Christmas to be more in the hopliday spirit? I usually wait until after BF and then wrap during my kids nap time and listen to Christmas music but last year it was sooooooo overwhelming. I am thinking about wrapping what I have now and just putting it up in the closet. I will still have plenty to wrap later but will hopefully be a bit less of a battle. I know most people love wrapping gifts but I must say I love everything about the holidays accept for this...:eyepoppin

I have started wrapping. I mainly wrap to keep nosy kids out of it...lol. My daughter's bday is in Oct. and I was wrapping presents for her bday (I use old christmas paper that the kids have outgrown or don't like anymore and turn it so the white is on outside) and I just felt like wrapping Christmas while I had all the stuff out. I do not have that much so I was only able to wrap 2 gifts for my dd. The other stuff I have for my dd will have to wait until I put them in boxes (they are odd shaped). I have not started buying for my twin boys yet.

Nope. I usually don't wrap anything until I am at least 90% finished shopping. I like to lay it all out and make sure it is all even between the kids before I start to wrap. My kids don't really care about price yet, but I do try to make things as even as possible and will combine or seperate items to make sure everyone has the same number of gifts. It's easier for me to compare when it is all in front of me. And for the last few years I have made baskets/boxes of miscellanious goodies for at least one person and I'm not finished collecting that stuff until the day I give the basket away (there's always another little freebie to toss in there!). I usually just pull an all-nighter about a week before Christmas and wrap it all at once.

I stay up late and wrap on Christmas Eve. I have no where to hide a bunch of wrapped gifts before that. Plus I would get too confused on who has what, and how many go to her or him. I have to wait until almost the end and then lay out all the gifts and make sure there are an even number for each kid. I do keep a written list but I even get confused with that. :confused:

I always worry about forgetting too so now what I do is I buy specific wrapping paper for each person so I will know who's is who and I put all of my lists on excel per person, the gift, the price, and if its wrapped. So far it is working but I guess we will see as it gets closer to the holidays and I buy more gifts if this system works...

Last year my mom did most of the wrapping and since her health has not been good lately it was not as enjoyable as other years for her. I would try to go over and help when I could but she always tries to do more than she should. So last week I ordered gift bags through the ABC catalog at work. I told her she can use the bags for some gifts to help cut down on what has to be wrapped. (She loves to make pretty wrapped packages) She said we would see, but I think when she gets tired and has a option she'll use the bags too.

I don't really wrap that early because most of my gifts don't stay at my house anymore! I have young cats LOL. My mom and I have "wrapping central" at her house as we love to wrap pretty packages with elaborate bows with ornaments and stuff. I leave my moms gift at her house, take my aunts family's gifts to that house etc. My own gifts that belong at my house are relegated to a closet until Christmas morning! It's very sad to see my bare tree! I love a tree piled with gifts however, I would kill my little kitty children for ripping into my beautiful packages :) Maybe in another year or so when they get older.

I would totally forget what is in them or if the kids all have an even number. Plus, I don't even know where I'd put all the wrapped gifts. I have most of my co-workers bought for, but where would I put the bags if they were assembled/?? You can condense things that aren't wrapped, but once they get the bows & ribbon on them, you can't stuff them in a closet or under the bed without crinkling them all up!

If you do wrap before the Christmas season , make sure to label everything. My boss told me she hide her gifts all through out the year for Birthday and Xmas then when is time to give, she can't remember where she hides them and end up buying replacement gift and then.. .. kaboom... A year later , while cleaning she found them. LOL. Cracks me up... But, then I shouldn't laugh at her. I hide a stach of SOS chocolate and didn't find it until a couple of years later when we are moving.

I usually start wrapping a few days after black friday. I have to have time to rest lol...but this year im preggo and the "wrapping/storage" room will be my daughters nursery so we are in the works of getting it ready enough to bring in gifts to hide in there and then ill start trying to wrap. I dont add the bows untill christmas eve unless its going under the tree asap...i leave the big ones(if i buy something big for someone else other than my son or hubby) in the closet. i always keep all of my sons and hubbys up untill christmas eve. then all the sisters and brothers nieces and nephews go under the tree asap...

we put our tree up on the sunday after thanksgiving. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

:holiday08:holiday08:holiday08:holiday08:holiday08

YES! I officially started TODAY! Began sorting all the goodies I have been buying/collecting all year (starting Dec 26, 2009) And I wrapped the first 12 packages today. (Was a good shopping year for mom. She is making out like a bandit this year! I have a few more items to pick up, but I think I am about 80% done shopping. There had better be some good deals this Black Friday to get my money!) I'll sit down and do some more wrapping later this week. I have a new kitten who really likes this whole idea of ribbons on packages. Gonna have to do this wrapping in spurts. :gdcat:

Now, my biggest problem will be once again keeping my parents OUT OF THE PRESENTS until Christmas. Mom has a new line this year: "You keep telling me I am an old lady....what if I die before Christmas?!? I had better open them now so I can enjoy them,....just in case I don't make it."

I told her if she didn't behave I was going to send all three grandcats over for a long "vacation" at her house.

Yea, there's no way I could start wrapping yet. First, I have nowhere to store them where the paper wouldn't get damaged, and second, I have 2 small boys who are WAY too curious. lol...

I don't like having an empty tree either, so when we put the tree up (usually BF), I'll wrap what gifts I have for extended family and put them under. But the kids' gifts wait until Christmas Eve. That way, like some of the others, I can see the number of gifts/per child, and our living room isn't completely cluttered and overflowing with gifts for too long! lol..

I typically wait until Hallmark puts their wrapping paper on sale. This year it is buy one roll for $4.99 and get the second for $0.99. They started this on October 9, but I haven't had the chance to take a look at their paper this year. My Mom is coming in town tomorrow. SO EXCITED! :D So we will go and check out the paper together. We LOVE Christmas!

I like the thickness of Hallmark's paper and it holds up well during shipping.

Edited by Kibit13

Ooooooo! Wrapping paper is on sale?!?!

Time to wrap another dozen gifts!

Thanks for the tip. I'll head over there tomorrow. I need more red and silver to balance out the colors.

As far as cluttering up the house....HA! I take them over to mom & dad's and leave them with strict orders to stay out of the gifts. :gdparanoid: The gifts can take up space in their house. ha ha ha! (Hmmm Is it possible that I am tempting their desire to open their gifts early?!? Well maybe! But they did it to us first when we were kids!)

I wrap each item as soon as it is bought and then place it on a shelf in my Christmas gifts walk in closet (closet is devoted just to Christmas gifts and starts getting stuff wrapped and labeled the day after Christmas for the following year. I have all the outside family members done and just need to finish up my 5 kids (who are teenagers and older) as their stuff is on the more pricey side.