What to do for teachers? My son has several this year.

ilikefree

I agree with every teacher on here that said candles and lotions can get tossed aside because of allergies - one time I had a candle in my teacher mail box and it took weeks for the scent to clear out it was so strong and I had to use my inhaler a few times.

Small amount gift cards are nice, but my personal favorite was when a sister and brother I had in my class gave be a huge poinsettia. I even took it to my family's 1000 miles away for Christmas.

As a teacher in an innercity school, I must say a simple note of thanks is the most special gift. Last year, my first period class pitched in together and got me roses. I make all my own copies and buy all my own supplies, so Walmart, Target, or Staples gift cards are wonderful. Even $5 means I can buy more pens. Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks cards are nice too.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a teacher and when asked what I would like I simply say,"anything that gets used up." Supplies, food items, flowers and even candles and lotions because you enjoy them and then they're gone. (In case you were not aware B&BW will let you trade fragrances as long as the container is not opened.) Of course gift cards are the best gift because they will always get used.

• 2 weeks later...

My younger son is in middle school this year and has 4 different teachers, not counting gym, art and band. I'm wondering what to do for them for Christmas. He has ADD and these teachers are very patient, kind and considerate toward him and I'd like to do something to thank them that doesn't cost a lot. I do make a couple different kinds of candy around Christmas time but am not much of a baker. Last year for his teachers (he didn't have as many teachers last year) I did a little Christmas themed bucket with a movie rental place gift card with a fleece blanket and some movie theater candies and microwave popcorn. I'd like to do something they'd appreciate and can use, but won't break the bank for me. Any ideas?

Wow, As I teacher I would love it. I The things that stick out in my head are personal notes from students. Gift cards are great. Due to the economy school supplies are nice, there is always someone in class who needs something

• 1 month later...

Starbucks is doing a 12 days of Christmas special. Each day until the 12th of December they will have a new deal. Today it is buy a 1lb bag of Christmas Blend coffee and get a $5 gc for free. Other deals have been one of their travel mugs that is normally $10.95 was on sale for $6.95. One of their gift packs with coffee and biscotti that is normally $12.95 was $8.95.

http://www.starbucks.com/share#/12-days-of-sharing

This is a cute Philosophy set. It includes 4 x 4 oz Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath (3 in 1) in Candy Cane, Cinnamon Buns, Bubbly, and Peppermint Bark and 4 x 0.5 oz Lip Shines in Candy Cane, Cinnamon Buns, Bubbly, and Peppermint Bark

The set is $36 and is at Sephora.com or in store. You could split it up in to 4 or more different gifts.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P275000&categoryId=C10462

http://a248.g.akamai.net/7/248/8278/20100924030904/www.sephora.com/assets/dyn/product/P275000/P275000_hero.jpg

Bath and Body Works is still doing their Buy 3 Get 2 Free Sale.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/cms_widgets/36/97/369789_assets/hp_cm_mf_swB3g3_11-29.jpg

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/home/index.jsp

And the Pocket Bac Anti Bacteria gels are 5 for $5

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=10935779&cp=2484530&cm_re=Holiday3%20HP-_-Banner-_-Reindeer%20PocketBac

I am a teacher, and I am thinking about sending home a Class Christmas Wish List....basically all the necessary supplies that we are short on...like kleenex, chart paper markers, copy paper, plug in air fresheners, pencils with erasers, etc. Then, add items that I think would benefit our class in general...such as....a classroom subscription to Weekly Reader or some educational magazine for the kids. I would much rather have things to make my classroom run smoother than "stuff" I might not really use.

Of course, teachers usually love gift cards to popular stores in the area and restaurant gift cards work too. We love body lotion or jewelry or Christmas ornaments. I also like Starbucks coffee....that is one thing that I don't endulge in but would if I had a gift card.

So, I would suggest finding out about the person you are buying for. Kids can ask the teacher what they like.

Me personally, I don't care for cheap candy dishes or dollar store candles. I know it is the thought that counts....but I would rather have a simple handmade card from students who can't afford much. That means more to me than anything! :)

I let me 6 year old pick his teacher out some things from Bath & Body Works. He picked out a mini hand lotion, a couple of hand sanitizers, and an apple shaped soap dispenser with Country Apple scented soap. I am going to wrap them up in a little gift bag that we got from Bath & Body Works, and add a mini bag of Lindt's milk chocolate truffles that I picked up at Wal-Mart.

My son's teacher (2nd grade) is a big animal fan.... she has lizards and tarantulas in the classroom (*shudder*). My son is really interested in animals and loves that she includes them in so many of her teaching units. So he went to Borders and picked out an encylopedia of reptiles and amphibians (<-- one of his spelling words a couple months back, LOL) to give to her. Its a great book and although I'm sure she already has lots of books, I sure hope she appreciates the fact that it was a thoughtful gift from my son's heart. :)

Last year, his teacher was athletic and her and my son shared the same favorite college football team, so he bought her a visor with the team logo on it. She put it straight on and there was instantly a chorus of 6/7 year olds yelling, "Teacher! Teacher! No hats in school!" Hehehe- it was so cute.

In Kindergarten, my son's teacher had a list of books that she was going to pick up from the book fair, so we bought them and had the librarian take them off her list...

So anyway, my vote goes for something a little more personal, if at all possible.

Obviously this only works with teachers that celebrate Christmas but I usually do ornaments. I started with a beaded apple ornament from Pottery Barn a number of years ago and then switched to the twig reindeer. Since my kids are still in elementary school, they have 1 main teacher and then a student or co-teacher for math or language arts. Each one also has an advisor for the club they belong to. For the classroom teachers I add a gift card - not more than $10.00 and for the others, the ornament is sufficient. I found cute apple ornaments at crate & barrel for $2.49 each.

We do classroom supplies every year - we do a big gift bag before school starts and then again at Christmas. :) My kids teachers seem to love it. We buy pencils, highlighters, sanitizer, kleenex, post its, dry erase markers, anything we think they could use. Then we add in a small personal gift for the teacher - a scarf or something else we made and call it good. We find all the supplies at the dollar store or use coupons at the other stores. I don't spend more than $25 and I only have one child in elementary. The one in high school does cards for her favorite teachers.

I always buy my kids teachers gift cards. I usually buy a $25.00 GC for a restaurant. However, after reading this thread I am liking the school supply idea. Especially since this year I have 16 teachers to buy for. last year I just had 6 so it is a big difference this year.

My younger son is in preschool though. He has two teachers. Not sure they would use the school supplies. May still do the gift card for them.

My two are in PreK and 3rd grade and I wanted to do something personal for them from my children so I used the picture I took of my child with their teacher on the first day of school and had a picture ornament made with the year and my child's name on the back. :) For their bus driver whom I adore I used a picture of my children running off the bus! She is going to flip over it I just know! :) Last year I gave little evergreen Christmas trees (like 8 inches tall) that were in a pot and decorated from Lowe's they LOVED those! Hope I can find them again!

My kids have a bunch of teachers and coaches as well. For their main school teachers one I bought a box of godiva chocolate and a gift card to kohls, the other teacher I bought an ElizabetH arden perfume set and a gift card to Macys. The assistant teachers, speech etc are all getting gift baskets from bbw, the coaches are younger so I bought them bag and perfume sets from vs.

I have a special needs child and just in his one class that is 8 people teachers aids therapist ...another mom and i are going in on it together and we are getting them spa gift certificates. however gym pr music art two secretaries principal vice princpal are not included in this ... also my son has a gen ed teacher.

My son is also special needs so there is the teacher and 4 aids in the class. Then he has a behavior therapist who comes everyday to the home so that's 6 I have to buy for. After dealing with a bunch of autistic 5 year olds then going home to their own kids... I'm giving them each a nice fluffy towel (walmart $5) and nice bath salts that I'm making and putting in mason jars I picked up at the salvation army 10 for $7.99. I mean who doesn't like new towels, lol. My grandma used to always give towels as wedding gifts and everyone loved them. I usually give a towel and a little candle to my friends for birthday gifts.