Taking a Black Friday first timer this year.... Am I crazy?

ChristmasShopping

We have a group of girls (and my DH) that go out every Black Friday. We feel like we have it down to a science.. (partially due to this site) but this year, we have TWO BF first timers going with us. They like to shop but have never ever been out on BF. They are both trying to save money this year and I think that BF will be a great time for that BUT I am worried they will slow us down or irritate us! LOL! Am I crazy?

Nah. Just crank 'em up on Red Bull and tell 'em to follow your lead or they could get hurt....

If you were to go to your local Army/Navy store, you could get a few combat helmets for 'em and spray 'em black with hunter's orange stripes so you can find 'em in the crowd. :)

Just make sure they have their 'shopping list' and don't just go up and down aisles looking, a layout if the stores they are going to - maybe go out with them a few days before BF so they know where things will be, and if someone in your group has a list similar to theirs, maybe a shopping buddy or if there are older children from the group who can help them.

I hate to be like this but I never want to take a BF first timer!! I think everyone should experience it but I do not want to be the one to teach them how it goes. I go with my mother every year and, like you, we have it down to a science. I swear we can talk telepathically that day! We know what we need to get, where we need to meet and can always find each other in the crowd, I can not imagine waiting on someone who may not get it. BF is the best but most stressful (in the best way) day of the year for me and I do not know how I would handle trying to change my system. Please let us know how it goes after the fact, even though I am sure it will be just fine!

Definitely stress the importance of the game plan and speediness. A coworker told me she went one year because her daughter wanted to look at some jewelry at Macy's and after spending 30 minute finding a spot and finding mayhem in store they couldn't browse and gave up on BF. It's not for everyone and last year there were great deals online too. Make sure they and you KNOW what you're getting yourself into before setting out. I'm afraid if I took a newbie and they were dilly-dallying I might leave them there.

Definitely stress the importance of the game plan and speediness. A coworker told me she went one year because her daughter wanted to look at some jewelry at Macy's and after spending 30 minute finding a spot and finding mayhem in store they couldn't browse and gave up on BF. It's not for everyone and last year there were great deals online too. Make sure they and you KNOW what you're getting yourself into before setting out. I'm afraid if I took a newbie and they were dilly-dallying I might leave them there.

When I suggest seperate cars, they said NO because I would probably leave them somewhere! LOL! (which is probably true... )

When I suggest seperate cars, they said NO because I would probably leave them somewhere! LOL! (which is probably true... )

EEEK...that would take longer I imagine and be more messy but I suppose could split into two groups and hit more places that way? I just meant to make sure they understand the urgency of speedy shopping and an absolute plan of what is wanted/needed, i.e. ad scans, newspaper print outs and clear lists.

I would make them sign up for a Gotta Deal account! Then maybe they will see it's kind of a big thing that people plan for forever! And I'd (nicely :) ) tell them that slow people get lost and left behind and left to all the crazy people they read about on Gotta Deal!!

I don't think you can recreate a BF type setting realistically although the lines recently due to back to school shopping are enough to make anyone go bonkers. I think BigJim has the right idea, find the videos and hope it will either smarten them up quick or get them to realize they wouldn't be capable of handling it. Also, not to be a downer but you may want to find articles etc about the tramplings/picked purses/stolen bags etc so they know WHY they have to be 100% vigilant. I've never experienced anything remotely similar but I'm always superaware of my surroundings and those around me, a deal is not worth serious injury or death.

Plus make sure they know its a day to pack light, fanny pack/wallet vs full on purse etc. If I remember will look at previous posts, I'm sure there was a guide or tips to BF somewhere.

Show them videos of BF on youtube and then show them how to duck, cover and roll if they get knocked down.

[video=youtube;aeSgBL7gpAk]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeSgBL7gpAk

Thanks BigJim! I will show them!

And it is nice to see you again this year! :) I LOVED your videos last year! Hope you do them again this year!

Nah. Just crank 'em up on Red Bull and tell 'em to follow your lead or they could get hurt....

If you were to go to your local Army/Navy store, you could get a few combat helmets for 'em and spray 'em black with hunter's orange stripes so you can find 'em in the crowd. :)

I know you were joking, but it is actually a good idea. We put our kids in bright shirts that have our pictures and cell numbers on them any time we go to anything like this. Only ever lost 1 for about 2 minutes, but when we found him someone was getting ready to dial our number. I am surprised no one sells something like that (and sending me royalties :2dollar::2dollar:).

Maybe I should do a Black Friday boot camp? Take them out to Walmart at 2 am a couple times and make them rush around to find things while shouting at them .. LOL!

And them make them sleep out front of Best Buy for a couple of days! LOL!

lol. I love it! :gdfunnypost:

DD took a friend last year and she did not last standing in line to get in the first store. We tried to warn her what it would be like, but she thought it would be fun. Plus our weather was lousy last year and most of us who went ended up sick.

DH usually will not venture out on BF but this year we have 2 little ones to shop for and I can't be everywhere at once. Things will actually be pretty nice this year because our mall just added a Target so I can hit up the mall stores and Target all in one shot!

However DH will probably have to go to TRU. Haha how's that for a BF initiation!

I've only gone there once on BF. Any tips I can pass along to him?

Be there early!!! And if at all possible, take someone along that can be his cart buddy...lol. My friend always goes with me on BF, she doesn't have any small kids to buy for so she stands in one area of the store while I push my way through the crowd to grab things. It makes it a lot easier and faster without having to maneuver the shopping cart through the crowd people and all of their carts.