IPhone 16GB 3GS $97 starting tuesday at Walmart

1josh

• 3 weeks later...
I just got my iPhone 3GS 32gb for $149.00 through AT&T with free overnight shipping and a waived upgrade fee. I must say, I was reluctant to buy it, but after having it for a little bit, I am VERY happy with the phone and service so far. I have had none of the dropped calls or data issues others speak about.

Well, the difference is that they're making their money on the backend with the iPhone -- that $30/month data charge for the life of the phone.

Actually, unless you are "grand fathered" into the $30 a month unlimited data plan, there is no unlimited anymore. The data plan is now tiered based on what you think you may use within a month.

Actually, unless you are "grand fathered" into the $30 a month unlimited data plan, there is no unlimited anymore. The data plan is now tiered based on what you think you may use within a month.

Well, yeah, it was unlimited back when I wrote that originally... The new plans went into effect June 8th, I think.

----

I'm just holding out hope that the 4th generation of iPod Touches will finally include a camera. They should be released in September, in keeping with past years...

On the 24 apple is releasing the 4 generation iPhone. You might want to look at the new features. Apple products can only be returned for 14 days.. If anybody is interested radio shack is buying back older iPhones at a good price. I might upgrade using my daughters upgrade and it will only be $ 52 plus 18 upgrade fee.

I purchased my phone through the telephone. And they said they were going to waive it but I just got e-mail notification that my bill is ready, look at it, and there is an upgrade fee on there. So, I am going to raise the devil if that is not taken off when they said they would. See, when I called and inquired about the iPhone and about purchasing one, they told me that I was not under contract. But when I went to shut down my old telephone number, I was told I was still. I complained about being lied to and how I would just go to another carrier, they shut down my old number, waiving the $115 they said it was to get out of contract. Trust me, the phone is AWESOME and well worth getting, but AT&T are the worst to deal with. Loved them when they were Cingular.

civiclover88, how did you get them to waive the upgrade cost? i asked today at a BM and they said it would be 200$ more since i wasn't eligible for an upgrade yet?

I just usually tell them they are OR in this case, THEY told me they were going to waive it without myself even asking. One thing to understand, when the bottom fell out of the economy like it did, we, the consumer, got a lot of power. They need our money and with competition stronger than ever, we can almost dictate prices within reason.

Its always nice to have the latest phone (the actual unit). However, you can just upgrade your current Iphone 3GS and have the same features as the new unit. See article below.

Walmart is still selling those for $97.00

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2752

I just did the update so I haven't been able to "play" with the OS. I'll let you people know how it is.

Its always nice to have the latest phone (the actual unit). However, you can just upgrade your current Iphone 3GS and have the same features as the new unit. See article below.

Walmart is still selling those for $97.00

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2752

The iPhone 4th Generation will have a 5MP rearward facing camera with a flash (including the ability to capture HD video) and a front-facing camera for video calls, Skype video (or FaceTime), and probably recording clips to YouTube. Also, the screen on the new iPhone will have the highest resolution of any phone. The iPhone 4GS will also have 40% longer battery life and in addition to having the WiFi bands of B & G, it will also add N.

And if you like to game on your iPhone, the new gyroscope in the 4th gen iPhone will reinvent the wheel!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-u_Evkd8Os&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="*****************" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-u_Evkd8Os&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" *****************="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

There are probably a few other hardware upgrades that I forget at the moment, but to say "you can just upgrade your current Iphone 3GS and have the same features as the new unit" is not completely accurate.

---------

Regarding the OS update:

Since my iPod Touch is a lowly 8GB 2nd generation, I don't get all the bells & whistles, but I did do the update. The folders method to organize Apps is the bee's knees -- it should have been this way all along. I organized my Apps into neat little folders like: radio, restaurants, local, card games, action games, reference, sports, etc.

The only other major change that my Touch now has is the ability to see multiple e-mail accounts in the same inbox.

Multitasking and the new backgrounds is not available for my bottom-rung Touch. Still a worthwhile upgrade and you can't beat the price (free).

Warning: the update takes an hour, since iTunes will completely backup the iPhone/Touch first. Best to do this one while you are sleeping...

Here's an article that REALLY gets down to the nitty-gritty of what's new in iOS 4:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/06/ars-reviews-ios-4-whats-new-and-notable.ars

I think radio shack will refurb them or sell them on amazon. Just guessing. I am hoping when I get off that they will have one left. I can get a new iPhone for $52.00 after trade in. I particular want the longer battery life, camera is nice. A lot of iPhones are being sold on craigslist for crazy prices. I would rather not put my phone number out there and get all the crank calls.

flosmoney

they are all doing that with no more unlimited data. we have verizon and had one of my hubby's coworkers told us about how they went in and signed up with the unlimited data. went in couple of days later to add the kids and it wasn't unlimited anymore. also my sister had unlimited and changed her plan and they booted her off the unlimited. so if you have it, be careful because they'll probably use any excuse to kick you to the tiered one.