XBox

Guest beatmix01

Guest beatmix01
I am looking for a cheap-o xbox so I can mod it and have an all in one system. I did this for my brother before he went to college and the thing was damn awesome! I need to do this! Or build a DVR....

Guest beatmix01

well, mainly to watch divx, emulators, etc.

i saw a few on ebay for $80 used.

i priced out a decent dvr for around 350. Sempron based.

that video card has a tuner built in.

I stand corrected. It does indeed. I should have picked up on that with the PC portion of the model number (being "Personal Cinema"), but I confess I merely glanced at the card features in the title rather than taking an in-depth look.

Some of the reviews seem mixed with regard to the tuner performance and compatibility with SP2, though I suppose that is true of any piece of hardware (depending on the end-user). Also, should note this card will absolutely not be compatible with MCE should that be any consideration at all.

I've always preferred discrete tuner solutions (as opposed to integrated or ATI's AIW), but that may just be a personal preference.

Guest beatmix01
This was just a quick compilation of parts w/o doing much research. I was merely putting things together for cheap. If I do build such a system, I may do it part by part to spread the cost out.

Guest beatmix01

Jared -

Did you ever get around to taking pics of how you modded the XBOX? If not, where did you get the instructions and/or can you provide a step-by-step walkthrough? I'd like to hear your experience went through. :)

I was doing it really late so I didnt get a chance to take pics. If i get another one I will take pics (or try to) otherwise I will try and find the link for the instructions I followed. It was really easy w/ the solderless installation, but supposedly not as sturdy, either way, after doing that I hate using regular DVDs, having all the movies available at the touch of a few buttons is awesome!

I was doing it really late so I didnt get a chance to take pics. If i get another one I will take pics (or try to) otherwise I will try and find the link for the instructions I followed. It was really easy w/ the solderless installation, but supposedly not as sturdy, either way, after doing that I hate using regular DVDs, having all the movies available at the touch of a few buttons is awesome!

Good enough. How big was the HD, and how many movies did you end up loading on the box?

Guest beatmix01
put in a 120GB HD and i loaded it up with about 45 movies or so and a few xbox games... never got a chance to put on any roms for the emulators tho.