Christmas Eve Traditions

Illinoismom

I know in our house we have several things we do Christmas Eve. Lets share what everyone does.

We have the feast of seven fishes. It is an Italian Catholic Tradition, Then my Inlaws and neighbors and us exchange presents.

I should have stated while hubby finishes dinner the kids and I go to 4:30 pm Christmas mass on Christmas eve. This way no one goes late or we have to worry in the morning

Then the kids put out the Sugar cookies and eggnog, and carrots. We hang the special key on the door so santa can get in, and sprinkle the special glitter on the lawn to mark the house, and reindeer food.

Then they put on the Christmas jammies and go to bed.

Then my older two and I put out all the presents under the tree. Then they go to bed and then I guess Santa comes.

Edited by Illinoismom

When we were little we always went to my grams Christmas Eve along with Aunts, Uncles & cousins. Us kids would open gifts from Gram then. Now we go to Nana's(my moms) Christmas Eve and open gifts. We also sprinkle the lawn with reindeer food, leave cookies, carrots & milk out then pj's & bed. Except nobody helps me,lol. Hubby is getting his butt up this year though whether he likes it or not though because He is going to have to carry DD10's Fouton in,lol. I have SOOOOOOO much to do in these last 2 days they have school!!!!

This is the first year our kids all know who Santa really is, so it has been a little bit different.

Every Christmas Eve the kids get to open presents from Grandparent's that were previously mailed as we have no family living nearby.

They also get to open a new pair of PJ's from myself and my husband.

Usually we would try to get them to bed early so Santa could come, but we know this year that excuse will not work. We decided to take the opportunity to spend more time together as a family and start a new tradition.

We are going to purchase one new Christmas movie each year and wrap that along side their PJ's. Then we will all stay up late snacking and watching that years movie. This will eliminate arguing over what movie to watch!

So nothing spectacular here, but I really am looking forward to spending some down time together!

The kids and I bake all day on Christmas Eve. We will then go to mass. We always go on Christmas Eve too so that we dont have to worry about being late etc on Christmas morning. Then we go to my in-laws for dinner, gift exchange etc. Once we come home, it is usually really late so I don't have to worry about the kids not wanting to go to bed. They put out a cupcake for Santa, carrotts and either egg nog or hot chocolate. They go to bed. Usually DH ends up falling asleep and I put everything out myself. I already warned him that he is not doing that this year. I can't be lifting on the heavy stuff so he is going to have to get up and help me.

We always have a nice dinner then go to evening mass. When we get home, we finish up our cookies. Take early showers and get on our Pjs (I always have a new pair for the kids) and we watch TBS (the channel) for The Christmas Story. I make a nice big bowl of popcorn and we bring down our blankets. It's nice.

We bake our cookies the day before Christmas Eve. It'll be so much fun this year b/c both kids are able to help. DS4 just picked out a recipe he wants to make, and DD6 said Santa requested by snowball cookies, so we'll be making those. ;)

(Santa wrote letters to the kids last month to ensure they were on the right track with their behavior)

Then on Christmas Eve we always open one present. The kids this year will open a few b/c I wrapped their Christmas jammies.

We read Christmas books, watch a Christmas movie, set out the cookies/milk/carrots and get the kids snug in bed, then DH and I get the Santa gifts set out and watch Christmas Story.

Since I moved to where my whole family lives, we have appetizers, soup and salad at my nephews house, travel to my house for dinner, and then go to Mimmie's house (my mom, who lives in a retirement community) for dessert, opening presents and the stockings that Santa has filled there! (I help Santa early in the AM of 12/24). Lots of fun, since there are 8 kids under the age of 10!

My mom started doing stockings for everyone when we all started getting married! Now, with all the grandkids and great grandkids (my mom has grandkids from age 40 to age 6 -- my son, and great grands from age 19-2), Santa and I fill almost 30 stockings!! Thanks to Gottadeal, there are lots of fun things in those stockings!

Xmas Eve @ our house always starts with the kids making sure their rooms are clean and me possibly moving some things around (to make way for the new things :) then we will all bake cookies, take a ride around to admire Christmas decorations and then we come back home and have hot chocolate.

After that we will watch a Christmas movie and then the kids get ready for bed. I usually try to have them in bed by 9 - 9:30. After that DH and I bring out all the presents and assemble any big items that need to be assembled.

Thx to the snow that we got this weekend, I am so behind with preparations that I am seriously thinking about starting my vacation a day early.

We go to our in-laws and have dinner with Hubby's side of the family and friends. The kids track Santa on the computer. Then we head home, the kids put on their X-Mas PJ's and Hubby and I are usually up until 2am wrapping and watching A Christmas Story about 3 times! Since the kids will probably be getting up early this year I'm hoping I can get everything wrapped BEFORE X-Mas eve! ;)

we go out to eat with in-laws, then come home and everyone gets a "Christmas Eve Gift" it is usually a book or game or movie for the kids that we can all do together, we put cookies in to bake and do whatever activity the kids have opened up, then the kids write a note to santa and set out milk and cookies and off to bed. then me and dh spend the rest of the evening putting all the santa gifts together so that they are ready to play with Christmas morning.

This is what we'll be doing this year on Christmas Eve...

Take our DFosterS2 in to see his parents in the morning. Then we'll deliver the cookies and fudge that we made the day before to the neighbors, and spend the day with our kids and MIL at our house playing board games, Holiday arts and crafts, watching Christmas movies, doing our gift exchange with MIL, having a ham/turkey dinner. Oh, and tracking Santa's flight online.

Then at 6pm, we're going to a neighbor's house where him and his wife dress up as Santa and Mrs. Claus and take pictures with the kids, give out candy, play games, etc.

Then we'll come home, put out cookies and milk for Santa (gotta hurry, Santa is already in our town, because we just saw him down the street!), carrots for the reindeer, and doggy treats for Santa Paws (we bought Santa Buddies and have 2 new puppies this year, so we must prepare for Santa Paws- LOL) and then put the kiddos to bed in their matching Christmas jammies.

Then DH watches The Christmas Story while I put together toys, finish any wrapping or whatever, and head to bed before Santa arrives.

THe kids each have a magical elf that visit from Dec 1 until the night of the 23rd. So when the kids wake up on Christmas Eve they will each find a gift from their elf friend - new PJs. We also let the kids open their gifts from each other - a new toy - that will help keep them busy while I am prepping for Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas morning breakfest. Its a quite Christmas Eve at home. After dinner the kids wait for Santa to come around the neighborhood on the local firetruck. Once they get their candy cane from santa, they get changed into their new PJ and get to open a gift or two from their grandmom. We spend the rest of the evening watching Rudolf and Polar Express. The kids will then put out cookies and milk for santa and carrots for the reinder. Then its off to bed where daddy read to them - The Christmas Story and Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Christmas Eve is always reading the Night before Christmas and the kids open 1 gift.

Of course the kids are now grown men at 22 and 20 but they still allow me to do this.

I also make appetizers for them to munch on and they will play video games etc.

Both DSs go to their g/f's homes for a Christmas Eve party as well.

I stau home alone and tidy up and do some last minute things

Christmas eve mass in the morning.( They do this for the ones who have small kids cause at night it's very late and a long service. Then we will prepare for our christmas eve dinner. The seven fish feast along with some greek specialities I make. ( hubby is Italian and Im greek) Then we have a nice big family dinner, kids open 1 gift from santa( pjs) They get their new christmas jammies on and we watch POlar express and have goodies and Hot chocolate. We put out cookies( that we baked the day b4) and milk for santa, then its bedtime for them to wait for santa and showtime for us. Assembling any big toys and putting all the gifts under the tree and stuffing the stockings. Lastly I prepare anything that needs to be prepared the night b4 for christmas dinner!

on X-mas eve we go to my Brother and SIL's house to eat and echange gifts with everyone on my side of the family. when we get home the kids get to open a gift (p j's) then off to bed for santa to come (they are 18, 12, and 11) and dont exactly believe but they enjoy it anyways.

I have a question, these gifts that are opened on Christmas Eve do the kids think they're from Santa? I know some ppl teach their kidsw santa only leaves them things at their house and then friends buy each other stuff etc. Seems like a new tradition waiting to happen in our house.

Our daytime Christmas Eve tradition is to go to the mall.

We get there early (so we don't have to park a mile away) and basically just walk around til it's time for lunch then we all eat whatever we want at the Food Court. Most all my shopping is done by then (except for a late last-minute deal or lottery tickets)--let me tell you that there are big time deals to be had on Christmas Eve,especially right at closing time!

I remember last year at Claire's,they were selling ALL their Christmas stuff for ONE DOLLAR!

Lipgloss sets regularly $10,red and green striped toe socks,hair things all for a dollar. I lost my itty bitty mind and even after giving tons away to my little nieces,I still have some left for this year. I will try to restrain myself this year :D

I have a question, these gifts that are opened on Christmas Eve do the kids think they're from Santa? I know some ppl teach their kidsw santa only leaves them things at their house and then friends buy each other stuff etc. Seems like a new tradition waiting to happen in our house.

In our house, their new pj's they know are from us. On Christmas day, everything is from Santa.

In our house, Santa only brings ONE present for the kiddos. And that's the one that's unwrapped and waiting for them when they come down Christmas morning.

Everything else is from DH & I, to each other, and from all of our extended family members.

They know their Christmas Eve jammies are from me...it's something I started when DD6 was little. I just think it's nice that I have certain traditions with them. I always pick out special gifts that are just from me...DH does the same.