Acer Aspire One AOD250-1151 Netbook $229 at Amazon

jmecherul

Seriously asking, but do you guys think that we'll be able to get a 10.1 screen cheaper than the $199 before christmas?

Not counting walmart's emachines(u couldn't pay me to go there bf) or the one office max has bf cuz the closest one to me is over an hour away.

Seriously asking, but do you guys think that we'll be able to get a 10.1 screen cheaper than the $199 before christmas?

Not counting walmart's emachines(u couldn't pay me to go there bf) or the one office max has bf cuz the closest one to me is over an hour away.

I was going to see if walmart would price match Office Max on BF....LOL :gdparanoid:

A noooooooooooooooo brainer! Get it while it's hot... and it's hot. Purchased a red one. Think about it, no tax, no shipping, no idiots to fight with or 'hoping' there's one left, and it'll be dropped off at your doorstep. Plus it's roughly $70 off best price anywhere. Thank you to the poster (jmecherul) and this forum.:D

i was just coming on here to post the target acer for tomorrow, i was gonna ask about it being a good deal, but i see others are excited about it too! I will be jumping on that baby, especially bec i can use my MIL's associate discount! im not really picky about colors, so ill take what i can get.

LMAO.Now thats funny.I was pretty sure thats what it meant but the reason i was asking is i always like to compare things before i buy them.TRU has in there Big Toy Book a HP one for $299.I was comparing the specs with this Acer and the HP one has 16 GB where as this one has 160gb and its cheaper so i thought maybe i was missing something.

The 16GB drive in the HP netbook is a SSD, or solid state drive. It's a different sort of technology than regular hard drives, and can have many advantages, but they are much more expensive per GB, hence the small size. Here's a wiki article if you are interested in reading more about it. :) HTH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

The 16GB drive in the HP netbook is a SSD, or solid state drive. It's a different sort of technology than regular hard drives, and can have many advantages, but they are much more expensive per GB, hence the small size. Here's a wiki article if you are interested in reading more about it. :) HTH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

I believe that the SSD's disadvantage is that when they encounter bad sectors/disc areas they then are ignored and unavailable. Which after time kind of keeps subtracting disk space until it's then limited. Could be wrong but... please correct me if I am. New technology=goofy rumors. :)

I believe that the SSD's disadvantage is that when they encounter bad sectors/disc areas they then are ignored and unavailable. Which after time kind of keeps subtracting disk space until it's then limited. Could be wrong but... please correct me if I am. New technology=goofy rumors. :)

It's certainly possible, but I have no idea. :D My post was the extent of my knowledge about these drives, as I prefer to go with more storage. I just wanted people to be aware that it wasn't a typo. Thanks for adding more info - I appreciate it!

144 GB LOL

that's a huge difference in storage space. I probably would never buy anything with 16GB of storage. The media cards I used in my camera 8GB, couldn't imagine a computer with only 16GB.

The smaller drives solid state drives. Solid state drives are faster, more stable and consume less power. I use my hp mini on the road and often have to run on battery, I chose a 16 GB solid state drive; It is really easy to use my external passport drive when I need more storage. It really all depends on what you need your netbook to be able to do.

I picked up the Acer from target this morning... No line, barely anyone in the store. I am now having doubts about my purchase. XP versus Win 7, 3 hour battery versus 6.... I just wish there was an easier way to make this decision. At least I can return it easlity enough.

:(

Amazon's headquartered there so that's why you pay tax. Since they are a local business for you, you have to pay tax in-state. I think any store that has a B&M location in your state, you end up paying sales tax on-line.

Well that stinks! Atleast I got them without having to deal with BF. :) My kiddos are going to be so excited. Thanks a bunch for the info!

OK, to answer the question about whether the $199 & $229 netbooks are better than the $198 emachines deal at Walmart - it's apples and oranges. The netbooks are loved for their ease of portability (found usually 11" or smaller). However, it doesn't have a disc drive - so no playing CDs or DVDs unless you plug in a portable disc drive. The emachines is not a netbook but a 15" notebook and does have a DVD disc drive. It's also a 2 GB RAM with 160 Hard Drive. I believe it comes with Windows 7.

My kids want to watch movies so unless I find a notebook that come close to the $198 emachines at WalMart, I'll be up early and in line on BF.

Hope that helps!

DawnH44 ~ Thats so great was there a lot of people when you got there :confused:

There was a line quickly forming so I ran out of my car to join them. But they were all there in hopes that a ZuZu shipment came in (which it did not). I was the first person at the electronics counter...however, the man behind was buying two. So I'm sure they were going quickly. The employee wouldn't tell us how many they had...I'm guessing not a lot.

Target did have that Mindflex game so people were grabbing them...but for $80 I just don't get it.

I picked up the Acer from target this morning... No line, barely anyone in the store. I am now having doubts about my purchase. XP versus Win 7, 3 hour battery versus 6.... I just wish there was an easier way to make this decision. At least I can return it easlity enough.

:(

How much are the Win 7, 6 hr battery life ones?