What is a great unlocked phone under 80 dollars or so? (AT&T)

Hi I am looking for an unlocked phone to replace my damaged (no display) motorzrv3 in ATT. I don't want to extend contract at this point as I think better cell phones are coming in spring 2010 and if I do a new contract now, I will be stuck with getting somehting like samsung impression or whatever. Of course, i am not looking for a phone from carrier which will require expensive data plans.

I still one a better phone not those very basic ones.

Any idea, which one is good? I looked at cell hut and buy dot com.

Edited by Marcster
Edited thread title for clarity...

Here are unlocked phones compatible with AT&T from Newegg.com, arranged by price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=227&Description=&Type=&N=2165570227&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=8018%3A49943&PropertyCodeValue=8018%3A50039&PropertyCodeValue=8018%3A50038&PropertyCodeValue=8018%3A49950

The SLVR is basically the same as your phone, but in a candy bar style.

The Blackjack (version 1, for $99.99) is a smartphone, with a ton of functionality, but because you are buying it unlocked (and not through AT&T), you are not forced to buy a data plan of any kind.

Either the Slate (Pantech C530) or Blackjack have QWERTY keyboards which makes texting 1000x easier.

(Stay away from that Motorola F3 and the Pantech 3210-- they're both older than rotary phones, LOL!)

If you can swing the $109.99, that Motorola Z6 is a slider similar in style to your RAZR, but with tons more features... It's what I would call those phones you are waiting for next Spring...

Here's an indepth review: http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=3379 If you bought that, you might not feel the need to upgrade in Spring 2010.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875209203

can I buy the trac phone without the plan?

From what I have been reading you can't.

I'm in the same boat as you. My grandson broke his phone and I am paying for him under our family plan.

Unless you can find another AT&T cell phone "as suggested above" from craiglist, ebay, pawn shop, I would look at the AT&T go phone. I had a AT&T rep. suggest I do just that. You can switch out the sims card on the go phone.

but with go phone you still have to pay for a plan to start with and activation, right?

Nope....

Five easy steps:

(1) Buy a GoPhone of your choice.

(2) Insert the SIM card from your old phone.

(3) Insert the battery for the new phone and attach the back panel.

(4) Charge the new phone (most phones are shipped uncharged).

(5) Begin using new phone.

You won't be using the SIM card from the new phone or activating a new line... "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" ;)

Nope....

Five easy steps:

(1) Buy a GoPhone of your choice.

(2) Insert the SIM card from your old phone.

(3) Insert the battery for the new phone and attach the back panel.

(4) Charge the new phone (most phones are shipped uncharged).

(5) Begin using new phone.

You won't be using the SIM card from the new phone or activating a new line... "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" ;)

This worked for my mom. She did this when she got her phone wet. She went to walmart and bought a go phone put her sim card in the new phone and it worked.

My husband lost his phone. I went to wally world and bought a go phone. Called c. service for ATT and they added the phone and new sim to the account. No new contract or activation fee. Same number as his lost phone. Tell cs that you lost or broke your phone and want to use the go phone in place of the broke one.

i lent my phone to my daughter when we were in las vegas. she put it in her back pocket and it feel out while riding a roller coaster. :(

i purchased a new razr from a seller in e-bay for 40 bucks. it works great. just pop in your sim card and you're ready to go.

My DD wants that one too...they have a refurb for $79.99 right now but since my cell co. isn't technically AT&T until Jan. I'm holding off getting it...

I don't blame you. I hope you can get a new customer discount. I still haven't found one. I'm still looking at Craig list, etc. Still have twenty something days to go :)