Any Nintendo DS Experts out there?

My 8 year old is asking for a Nintendo DS this Christmas. I don't know much about them, but from what I've gathered so far, it sounds like there is a new model out now... DSi that has a camera and online abilities.

I just wondered if anyone would recommend the new model over the older style. We have access to some old Gameboy games from her cousins that would be nice to play, but from what I read on Amazon.com, you cannot use old Gameboy games with the new Nintendo DSi--only the older DS lite.

Does anyone have experience with both the older style and the newer style?

Anyone heard of any great deals available on the older DS Lites since there is a model change now?

TIA!!

My 8 year old is asking for a Nintendo DS this Christmas. I don't know much about them, but from what I've gathered so far, it sounds like there is a new model out now... DSi that has a camera and online abilities.

I just wondered if anyone would recommend the new model over the older style. We have access to some old Gameboy games from her cousins that would be nice to play, but from what I read on Amazon.com, you cannot use old Gameboy games with the new Nintendo DSi--only the older DS lite.

Does anyone have experience with both the older style and the newer style?

Anyone heard of any great deals available on the older DS Lites since there is a model change now?

TIA!!

Our house has 4 DS Lites. We love them. I am thinking of upgrading my DD11 to a DSi only because some of the new games she is asking for need the cameras and the internet capability that the DSi has over the DS Lite. She would still have her DS Lite to play her gameboy advance games so that would not be a problem. 2 of the games she is asking for are Style Labs makeover and Style Labs Jewelry Design. With Makeover she has the option to take a picture of herself then do makeovers on herself on the DSi. Jewelry design she an create jewelry and upload to a website where they can be made for purchase (future gifts I see)

There is nothing wrong with the DS Lite its just I forsee that games coming out will take advantage of the new aspects of the DSi. These games will still be able to play on te DS Lite just not everything.

You mention that she has gameboy games are they advance games because regular gameboy games from previous will not play on the DS LIte either.

On BF Target and Best Buy are offering the DSI with 5 games downloaded (choice between brain age games or mario games) for $169 and you get a $20 gift card .

I hoped I answered your questions. If you have any others let me know,.

Our house has 4 DS Lites. We love them. I am thinking of upgrading my DD11 to a DSi only because some of the new games she is asking for need the cameras and the internet capability that the DSi has over the DS Lite. She would still have her DS Lite to play her gameboy advance games so that would not be a problem. 2 of the games she is asking for are Style Labs makeover and Style Labs Jewelry Design. With Makeover she has the option to take a picture of herself then do makeovers on herself on the DSi. Jewelry design she an create jewelry and upload to a website where they can be made for purchase (future gifts I see)

There is nothing wrong with the DS Lite its just I forsee that games coming out will take advantage of the new aspects of the DSi. These games will still be able to play on te DS Lite just not everything.

You mention that she has gameboy games are they advance games because regular gameboy games from previous will not play on the DS LIte either.

On BF Target and Best Buy are offering the DSI with 5 games downloaded (choice between brain age games or mario games) for $169 and you get a $20 gift card .

Thanks racerfan. Yes, the games we have are Gameboy advance games. I guess it comes down to whether I can find a DS Lite player a lot cheaper now that they newer model is out. If they slash the prices enough during the holiday shopping season, I might just go with the older one. That way she'd have a lot more games to access.

We also have an almost 7 year old daughter and an almost 4 year old daughter, so I could hand these players down as they get older and become interested in handheld players like this too. In a couple years if/when my 8yo wants the one with the camera (or whatever latest model they come out with), I can pass the older model down to her sisters maybe??

What would you say is the cheapest price you've seen the older models (DS Lite) go for in the past?

What would you say is the cheapest price you've seen the older models (DS Lite) go for in the past?

Right now it is $129.99 on Amazon. I think I saw it somewhere once for $99. I dont know if there will be any deal between now and Xmas to lower it further.

Toys R Us has a deal where you get a $20 savings when you buy the DS Lite and 2 accessories. It is in their big toy book.

Nintendo sets their prices and the only real deals you will find are with accessories or getting a gift card from the store.

check Dell.com constantly. They tend to drop the Dsi price every now and then. I bought it about two weeks ago for 129.99, which the the regular price of the Ds lite).

The price of DS Lite has not dropped from that price. I have been checking for a while now and nothing. I hope they do. My niece wants one.

We have 10, 7 and 6 year old kids - Our 7 and 6 year olds have the DSLite and our 10 year old has the DSi (she bought it with her birthday money). They all play the DS's all the time - and absolutely love them. Now though, the little ones are constantly bugging the older one to use the DSi. So, Santa is bringing the DSi's for Christmas (Im hoping the sell the DS's before the holidays so that it cushions the cost of the DSi's, lol...since they both got the DS's only last Christmas!).

Check Ebay. I have baught two from there. I just make sure that the seller has 100% feedback. You can normally get a bundle package at a great price. I also know that Kmart will be having a bundle out for 169.99. You can go on their website and look it up to pre order it.

That is incorrect that Gameboy old games will not play on a DS. My son plays, Old large Gameboy games, gameboy advance games and ds games all 3 on his system. We bought the old Gameboy games at a yard sale, but although they are large and look like they won't fit, they fit in the slot just fine. I would go with the DS. My ds 12 has no interest in a dsi. He is getting a camcorder that takes pics for xmas and says everything he wants works on his ds. There are literally hundreds of games for a child that age to use with a ds.My son says he goes online with his ds and plays with other kids in japan, so he isn't interested in upgrading.

That is incorrect that Gameboy old games will not play on a DS. My son plays, Old large Gameboy games, gameboy advance games and ds games all 3 on his system. We bought the old Gameboy games at a yard sale, but although they are large and look like they won't fit, they fit in the slot just fine. I would go with the DS. My ds 12 has no interest in a dsi. He is getting a camcorder that takes pics for xmas and says everything he wants works on his ds. There are literally hundreds of games for a child that age to use with a ds.My son says he goes online with his ds and plays with other kids in japan, so he isn't interested in upgrading.

The old gameboy games I am talking about do not play very well with the DS lite. The gameboy advance games play fine. We have really old games from the original gameboys and we have problems with them with the DS Lite. We have played them but for some reason they dont work as well. It could be a problem with the games we dont know, we just got rid of them.

My DS does not care about the DS, he likes his PSP. DD is the one that is into the new games coming out which to me look like the are more for girls than boys. It all depends on the child.